$500 - Complete Engine From 1935 Chevrolet- 34k miles

basscaster

I recently acquired a massive collection of NOS chevy parts, along with a few engines. I have a 1935 Chevrolet engine, as pictured, for sale. I was told by the seller that it has 34,000 miles on it. Gonna need an overhaul :) Send any questions and I will do my best to get them answered for you.

The engine is located near Bonham, Texas, about 90 minutes northeast of Dallas.

Pickup only, I cant ship it. $500 or best offer.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bonham,+TX+75418/@33.2375958,-98.3089165,7z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x864b9c3741731875:0x58f2783533fe5215!8m2!3d33.5773275!4d-96.1783111

141.JPG

142.JPG

143.JPG

144.JPG

Edited by basscaster
price drop, adjused to fair market value, according to several appraisers (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think the market has shifted, it’s just a small one.  The guy who must have that engine is out there somewhere, but finding that person isn’t easy.  If you can sit on it for a while, even years, you could get $700.  It you are in a hurry to sell, then you won’t get much at all.

• Like 2

Well maybe I’m wrong but this engine is complete with manifolds, carb, distributor, fuel pump, starter, bell housing, and transmission and I think $450 is a damn good price.  If it doesn’t need any rebuilding, it’s a virtual drop in. Easy to test run too the way it Is.

• Like 4

The whole thing - I agree. The man who previously owned it is a former GM man, and his collection of vintage parts is as good as Ive ever seen, as well as his cars and taste. He kept good stuff. My understanding is that it is a drop in. This is not junk. I may keep it, probably will. Thank you

I personally purchased a 31 stovebolt for $500 that had a lot less extra parts than your motor and was more than happy to get it. It does run perfectly but needs full cosmetic restoration. There are fewer and fewer 31’s out there because of cracked heads making them unserviceable. Even just a good 31’ head can run $350-500 depending on its condition. I would try posting your engine on the VCCA or at least in the Chevy section here on the AACA. You will eventually find someone who will know its worth. A while back i purchased a 28’ Chevy engine connected to a cord wood saw. The engine ran perfectly and was on a frame much like an engine stand for running as it was part of the whole cord wood saw setup. I offered it for sale for $500 and had many tell me I was asking way too much but I felt the motor ran way to good to sell it cheaper . About a month went by and a guy contacted me saying he had heard I had an original, unrestored, great running engine. He then offered me a $1000 if I was willing to do a compression check, a water jacket pressure test, and deliver it to a trucking terminal. Everything was easy to do,  I got $1000 for an engine I asked $500 for, and everyone told me I wanted too much for. 

• Like 1

You could try to start it and see how it runs. It's shouldn't be that hard to hook up a battery and an extra wire or two for the ignition. I've done it before with another type of engine so I could see if I could drop it in after a successful test run.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If the engine gets put on a pallet and taken to a trucking terminal with the engine located in the middle of the country, it won't cost more than $200-350 depending or where it's going. I ship motors like this all the time. It will need to be strapped down and be no longer than 48" to fit on a standard pallet. I put some wood blocking on the pallet to stand the motor upright then either strap it or bolt it down. Might have to pull the bell housing to make the 48" though. If you don't want to try and ship it, you most likely won't sell it. I had a 28' Chevy motor that ran like a clock and I was asking $500 here in MA for it. A guy called me and asked me if I was willing to pull a compression test and a low pressure water test on the motor, plus take it to a terminal. He offered me $1000 and he would pay the shipping. That motor went from MA to Wisconsin for $236. So a drop in motor cost him $1,236 (he wanted an original looking motor so he didn't even paint it) ! Try and rebuild a motor these days and you'll find they're running about $1,500 per cylinder and up especially if they are pre-war babbitt engines. I just finished one and am currently doing a 31' 194 Chevy 6 right now. I don't understand why so many are so unwilling to pay for such an important part of a vehicle even when they need it. I'm seeing a lot of this recently with car guys being super stingy/cheap when buying yet when selling, offering you gold and expect gold prices. I am  always willing to pay the money for a correct, good part. I end up way ahead of those who don't. I know guys who are still looking for a deal for a part that holds them up from enjoying their car for months and years. What the hell is good is it? We can all drop dead tomorrow and not enjoying a car because I didn't want to pay $350 to ship an engine does not make sense to me.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have one I bought as a spare for a restoration. Going to pull the plugs, do a compression test and run it. It supposedly ran good when it was pulled. It is complete with manifold and trans bell housing. I will pull parts to ship. I’ll need a couple weeks to check it out an crate it. Where do you live?

• 5 months later...