Cork gasket for AT pan - any pre-treatment?

first64riv

Hey guys,

The rubber gasket on my pan is leaking a little and I have a couple of cork gaskets I got on clearance.  Should I even try to use them or should I just source another rubber gasket?  If I do use the cork gasket, do I need to pre-treat it with anything to ensure a leak free installation?

Chris

I think that depends on the condition of the gasket.  If it has dried or shrunk, you might try soaking it in warm water for awhile to rejuvenate it.  Assuming it's in good shape, you might tack it to the case to keep it in place during installation, but a lot of folks caution against using RTV or similar products along with the gasket.  Remember, the gasket is supposed to seal by itself.  If the pan is flat and you don't overtighten the bolts, you should be good to go.

• Like 1

I would strongly recommend going with cork in this application. No special prep or sealers are necessary but a very light coat of a sealer like RTV isnt going to hurt. All that is needed is a light skim coat of the sealer, dont use so much it will squeeze out or make the gasket "squirm"

Tom Mooney

42 minutes ago, first64riv said:

Do opinions change if I say that my pan is an aftermarket steel one?  The cheap type you get summit with the drain plug.  That's where the rubber gasket came from and I wasn't sure if this pan had to have rubber.

Chris 

Should have gone for the deep cast aluminum pan with cooling fins and a drain plug.?

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Should have gone for the deep cast aluminum pan with cooling fins and a drain plug.?

Slightly off topic, but does anyone do a pan for the 63  Dynaflow that has a drain plug, perhaps deeper pan? Just curious.

thanks

Rodney

So I picked up some 5/16-18 x 3/4" stainless hex bolts (serrated) and installed them on the section where the pan was leaking.  I used three bolts so far.  So far so good but that's just sitting stationary.  I'll fire it up and take it for a ride this weekend.  If it holds up well, I'll do the rest.  I also put some Loctite on the bolts.  I'm still using the rubber gasket for now.

Chris

Are you replacing the bolts piecemeal without dropping the pan?  As Ed pointed out earlier, the problem could be that the pan was previously overtightened and the lip was distorted.  If that's the situation, you'd be well advised to remove the pan and bang it flat again.  Of course, you won't know if that's the case unless you drop the pan and look at it. :P

8 hours ago, first64riv said:

I was afraid it might.  So stainless and aluminum are not a good combo?  What about zinc plated?

Chris

Nothing wrong with the combo if done correctly. Stainless bolts will gall in any metal without anti-seize on the threads. Aluminum is about the worst because it is so soft. If the bolts lock up on removal, you will break the transmission case before you break the bolt. Neither is a good thing to happen. I am in the process now of putting a 56 Ford pickup together with 100% stainless fasteners. But we always add the anti-seize before installing a bolt, even one that will have to come right back out after mockup.

Anti seize.png

6 hours ago, steelman said:

Nothing wrong with the combo if done correctly. Stainless bolts will gall in any metal without anti-seize on the threads. Aluminum is about the worst because it is so soft. If the bolts lock up on removal, you will break the transmission case before you break the bolt. Neither is a good thing to happen. I am in the process now of putting a 56 Ford pickup together with 100% stainless fasteners. But we always add the anti-seize before installing a bolt, even one that will have to come right back out aft

I'll pick some up.

Chris

15 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Are you replacing the bolts piecemeal without dropping the pan?  As Ed pointed out earlier, the problem could be that the pan was previously overtightened and the lip was distorted.  If that's the situation, you'd be well advised to remove the pan and bang it flat again.  Of course, you won't know if that's the case unless you drop the pan and look at it. :P

I have no issue removing the pan...but i'd REALLY rather not.

Chris