Chrysler 77 Motor

DaveHarris

• 4 months later...

Are You still looking for an engine?  I have a complete engine, that I disassemble. Engine # CJ618247,  it also has the letter B stamp on both sides of the eng. number. That suppose to mean that the block was bored and

the crank was turned.

Wally

2 hours ago, DeSoto701 said:

Are You still looking for an engine?  I have a complete engine, that I disassemble. Engine # CJ618247,  it also has the letter B stamp on both sides of the eng. number. That suppose to mean that the block was bored and

the crank was turned.

Wally

Did the CJ even use the same block as the 77? If I read my copy of the Standard Catalog of American Cars correctly, the 77 was fitted with a 268.4 cu.in. engine developing 93 BHP while the CJ had a 195.6 cu.in. engine that developed 62 BHP.

FWIW, the same book says that engine numbers for the 1930 CJ were from CJ1001 to CJ24494 and the 1931 CJ engines were from CJ24495 to CJ30292. I don't see the CJ as being built in 1932. So either the Standard Catalog is wrong about CJ engine numbers or something else is wrong as your CJ618247 is in neither range. The CJ was a six cylinder engine so maybe that was stuffed into the engine number: CJ18247 is in the range listed for the 1930 engines.

I've caught other errors in the Standard Catalog on Chrysler built cars, so it would not surprise me if they were wrong on this. But it does indicate some additional checking is in order.