Correct jack for '63 Riviera

Loren@65GS.com

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a picture of a couple of jacks that I have lying around.  I can't remember whether they came from one of the cars I'm working on or whether they might have been pulled from a parts car.  They're not exactly the same, but they both have the tab for inserting into the slot in the bumper.   Sorry about the quality of the picure but the afternoon winter sun casts some long shadows.

20171218_150336.thumb.jpg.9fc180b9a7d3f66cccba670cc9419442.jpg

On 12/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, Loren@65GS.com said:

I have done a search here for what I should be looking for in regards to the correct jack for Roxy's '63 Riviera and not come up with a good reply.

Is it the solid "T" type or is it the "D" style?

Loren

Hi Loren,

It is possible more than one type and more than one supplier was used for the original floor jacks. I can check the `63 parts book for specifics,

Tom

2 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Loren,

It is possible more than one type and more than one supplier was used for the original floor jacks. I can check the `63 parts book for specifics,

Tom

Tom,

I think that could be  correct.  I know that the '65 Skylarks  had two or three different ones per my '65 parts book.

I guess, whether it is the solid T looking one or the tubular shaped one is not a big concern.  If it works correct with the bumper, we probably should be good to go.

Loren

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, RivNut said:

Here's a picture of a couple of jacks that I have lying around.  I can't remember whether they came from one of the cars I'm working on or whether they might have been pulled from a parts car.  They're not exactly the same, but they both have the tab for inserting into the slot in the bumper.   Sorry about the quality of the picure but the afternoon winter sun casts some long shadows.

20171218_150336.thumb.jpg.9fc180b9a7d3f66cccba670cc9419442.jpg

Ed,

I agree, the shadows definitely make it difficult to see detail.  That said, I have no idea if one or the other would do the job better then the other.  The jack on the left in the picture , looks like it may fit the bumper better. Not knowing what an original '63 jack looks like, I'm kind of at a loss .

As we discussed earlier, I would  [hopefully]  not have to ever make use of it. 

Loren

2 minutes ago, Loren@65GS.com said:

Ed,

I agree, the shadows definitely make it difficult to see detail.  That said, I have no idea if one or the other would do the job better then the other.  The jack on the left in the picture , looks like it may fit the bumper better. Not knowing what an original '63 jack looks like, I'm kind of at a loss .

As we discussed earlier, I would  [hopefully]  not have to ever make use of it. 

Loren

I should have taken the time to take the pictures with a real camera rather than using the camera in my tablet (No download necessary.)  I'll try take a couple of more and get some detail on the lift tabs.

Here are some close up pictures off the hook on each of the two jacks I pictured before.  Same principle for each but one has a little more space between the hook and the rubber insulator.  If it's only for show, no one is going to know the difference if you don't.  Like other items - I think we've discussed wheel covers and seat belts - Buick probably had different suppliers for the same part.  Each supplier's item met the standard but was different in some way.  Chances are a judge wouldn't know the difference let alone the general population. 

This would be especially true if your 63 has the spare on the trunk floor.  The spare is going to hide some of the jack detail.  If the jack is stored correctly,  you'll be in good shape. 

The brackets for storing your jack should also give you some I dictation as to what the shape should be. I think that was your original question.

20171220_124046.thumb.jpg.5a7e748b8793163c8fa5e471275b96a4.jpg20171220_123947.thumb.jpg.2f81c3eddd56312862edd73f1bbcf673.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

We don't plan to have the Riviera judged.  Been through that with the Skylarks and Gran Sport.  Now, just want to enjoy the cars and the good Buick folk.

The '63 is early enough that the spare is on the floor,  good point there Ed.  I will have to get a look at those brackets in the trunk too. 

Thanks ,

Loren