This Just Ruined My Day.....

Most people bought those cars new and just wore them out. They are gone and were scrapped years ago. No one morns the loss of the used one.

This car is a classic (if you can use the term) example of waste. Someone bought a car 80 odd years ago and didn't need one. Apparently none of the intervening owners got much use out of it either,They hardly used the thing.

What's supposed to happen? Another owner lets it sit around more. They should make a collector's edition with all the round parts flat on the bottom for sitting around.

Take it to a show and listen to the discerning collectors. "A two door would be better, a coupe is better than a two door, don't buy anything but an open car. When are you going to fix this? You know that part is wrong, don't you?

My garage space is very dear to me and all the spots are filled with the intention to please ME. I have had all the questions. They worry more than I do. My Wife and I were in my garage with another couple, the other Wife asked mine "You let him buy that?". After they left my Wife asked what she meant. I said "Don't worry. You, I'm keeping."

It really comes down to peer pressure. If you aren't seen as a peer the other guys may do what those whom are his peer do. Pretty simple.

Unless you are pondering the restoration or modification of a Peerless.

Bernie

• Haha 1

id·i·ot
ˈidēət/
noun
informal

1. a stupid person.
    synonyms: fool, ass, halfwit, dunce

If the owner of the Buick thinks that after his "improvements" that it will drive better, ride better, be as charming, be as interesting, be as much fun, or worth as much as it is now he is indeed, by definition, an idiot. .......................Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think there is a lobbied bill in congress requiring all owners undertaking modifications of antique cars must post a bond of $30,000 with The Discovery Channel dividing the job into two equal subsets, called episodes, and a required deadline.

Engines may be bored, but there is not time for stroking.

Bernie

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

id·i·ot
ˈidēət/
noun
informal

1. a stupid person.
    synonyms: fool, ass, halfwit, dunce

If the owner of the Buick thinks that after his "improvements" that it will drive better, ride better, be as charming, be as interesting, be as much fun, or worth as much as it is now he is indeed, by definition, an idiot. .......................Bob

I agree except for the Worth as much part.   Well built resto-mods seem to command pretty high prices. And I stress well built.

Actually there are lots of late 40's early 50's pick up trucks out there on mostly later suspension / brakes that run rings around a stock example.  Some people don't mind the ride of early post war truck but the brakes usually leave a lot to be desired, esp if you actually use it as a truck.  My 66 Merc. {Canadian Ford} 1/2 ton was scary with a load.  It's now on a 77  Ford 1/2 ton frame and a world of difference as far as usability is concerned.  There are lots of big hills in my area , brake fade in daily traffic is no fun at all. Empty it was not too bad, but with a load a whole different story.  The truck looks completely stock unless you are very familiar with the original chassis. 99% of the people that see it don't know the difference.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Most of us on the forum understand the reality of reliability, cost, and historical significance of our old cars, but many do not. What seems to be called for is an educational intervention. Not heavy handed or derisive, but friendly, informative and consensus. This is a battle that has to be fought, one car, and one owner at a time. I think that it is our mandate as conservators, to at least try to become part of the process.

Boy,oh Boy, this is getting a lot of mileage!     I agree with Bernie in post #41. Most of you guys complaining would not even LOOK at a four door.  Or a smaller series .  How many of you would buy this car to save it?  Look at the opportunity for some that is looking for parts.

And, since it is a four door, less "desirable" car, it WILL be worth more as a RestoRod than preserved. Maybe not to everyone, but to someone.

Good discussion.  

Ben

2 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Most of us on the forum understand the reality of reliability, cost, and historical significance of our old cars, but many do not. What seems to be called for is an educational intervention. Not heavy handed or derisive, but friendly, informative and consensus. This is a battle that has to be fought, one car, and one owner at a time. I think that it is our mandate as conservators, to at least try to become part of the process.

Greg , has this barbarian actually vandalized this '33 Bu' yet ? (Soft spot for '33s , as my dad had one into the mid '40s - first car I ever rode in , leaving the hospital). If not , tell him Cadillac Carl has a fiddler friend (concertmaster in his metropolitan symphony) with quite a collection of "bows and boxes". Among such ancient obsolete odds and ends , reside a Strad' and a , ah , oh here I go again with a Sr. Moment. And a B......... , a B.......... , no , maybe I will remember while I tap. Anyway it starts with "B" , another $x,xxx,xxx violin. Interesting and great fun to get a private audience as Master , (of course as present conservator , he also passes on and preserves centuries of heritage by teaching) , demonstrates the tonal subtleties of $xx,xxx,xxx worth of well seasoned wood. O.K. Let's cut up "Them thangs". Stick sensors all over 'em. Yowallie , dowallie , doodallie , DO ! Lil' feedback here , some reverb thar , oh ! And a pedal and lever. HOW SWEET IT IS. Wow , wow , WOW , wow WOW ! Yay - HOO ! Yeah make 'em yowl , howl , and growl like the roar of Jake Brakes coming down the high grade into town in a lower gear ! And think : you just might land a gig ".................... playing electric violin on Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan.

Now , I guess you could make a passable electric fiddle out of a dresser drawer. Go find one of those , and work your magic on it. Strad's and their ilk are only original once.  Any chance we can help save this , this , oh what is it ? This um........ , this ah , this B........ , this B........ , this "B" while it is STILL a "B"  ?           - Cadillac Carl

Edited by C Carl
Inclusion of B. Bill's quoted suggestion (see edit history)

57 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Greg , has this barbarian actually vandalized this '33 Bu' yet ? 

Hey Carl, the rendering process has not actually started yet but it's imminent. I wish I could save it but the current owner is resolved. I'm surprised at the derision regarding sedans (as compared to coupes or open cars). Maybe I'm an oddball but I usually prefer a sedan. I was on the hunt for a Buick sedan when I stumbled upon my current coupe.

Greg

8 hours ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

Mark, I love your car.

WOW!!!!  These are great photos.  Love your car. 

Thank you Pomerroy, the Studebaker is a keeper.  I plan on driving it until they take away my driver license.   It is a pleasure to drive and never disappoints me.  I always keep one thought in mind when dealing with old cars, old houses, and antiques, we are just the current caretaker and unless we mistreat, abuse, or destroy them, someone else will be their caretaker someday.

7 hours ago, keiser31 said:

RATS! You were at Shasta and DIDN'T stop by my place just up the pike in southern Oregon?

Keiser, I am sorry to disappoint you.   I was tight for time and had to end the fun with the Studebaker and head south to get back to work.  In about another five years I will be retired and have more time to wander around in the Studebaker.  I have a buddy that is moving from California to the Seattle area.  When he is settled, and I am retired, I plan on driving up to Seattle, Washington in the Studebaker.  I will take you up on your offer and stop by.  

• Like 1

It comes down to appearances doesn't it?  They just want it to appear to be an antique car.  There is no thought to "wouldn't it be interesting to experience it as it was then"?  The smell, the feel,  the skill required to drive it.  Nope; just settle for the appearance..  Might as well look for a Zimmer or some other neo-classic.  Probably cheaper too.  :wacko:  And it isn't as if they are being pressed into daily driver service.  As long as the leftover parts go toward keeping another actual antique on the road, I think it's the best one can hope for.

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

If you think building street rods is bad you should tally up the number of nice old cars that have been disassembled for restoration and never finished.

If the Buick in the OP had been STONE STOCK, just how long would it take for an AACA "expert" to point out every flaw they could find and point it out to the owner. That attitude  drives far more people out of the "restored' club and into the modified fraternity so they can drive them part of the hobby. Bob 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

I'm surprised at the derision regarding sedans (as compared to coupes or open cars).

Funny you mention. I'm one of the guys of that thought process although there is no actual "derision". I looked and looked and then re-looked at your pictures. That sedan is absolutely beautiful in it's lines, grace, and just plain gravitas. What a shame to kill it for no good reason. I wish you never posted............Bob

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Mark Huston said:

Thank you Pomerroy, the Studebaker is a keeper.  I plan on driving it until they take away my driver license.   It is a pleasure to drive and never disappoints me.  I always keep one thought in mind when dealing with old cars, old houses, and antiques, we are just the current caretaker and unless we mistreat, abuse, or destroy them, someone else will be their caretaker someday.

Keiser, I am sorry to disappoint you.   I was tight for time and had to end the fun with the Studebaker and head south to get back to work.  In about another five years I will be retired and have more time to wander around in the Studebaker.  I have a buddy that is moving from California to the Seattle area.  When he is settled, and I am retired, I plan on driving up to Seattle, Washington in the Studebaker.  I will take you up on your offer and stop by.  

ALWAYS welcome!

46 minutes ago, Mark Huston said:

Keiser, I am sorry to disappoint you.   I was tight for time and had to end the fun with the Studebaker and head south to get back to work.  In about another five years I will be retired and have more time to wander around in the Studebaker.  I have a buddy that is moving from California to the Seattle area.  When he is settled, and I am retired, I plan on driving up to Seattle, Washington in the Studebaker.  

I hope you drive to Tacoma at the end of August for the annual Studebaker meet!

Craig

Being a hopelessly devoted member of the Brass Era Car fraternity, I am often shocked to find the same attitude towards the driveability/reliability of these cars coming from fellow antique car owners of the 30's-50's.  Many years ago while participating in the AACA 50th anniversary tour out of Valley Forge, PA I had an amusing experience.  We had finished the days touring and a group of us had retired to the parking lot lounge for a few adult beverages and some BS time.  I was reclining on the running board of my 1913 Jeffery, which was a virtually completely original car, when a fellow  walked up and asked if that was my car (BTW - I was still under 30 years of age at that time and there were those that seemed disturbed by such young guys owning "really old" cars). I responded that it was indeed my car.  The fellow responded that he had been told that I had actually driven the car from home to the tour and wanted to know if it was true, and if so where was I from. After learning that I had indeed driven the car the 150 or so miles from home, mostly down the PA Turnpike no less, he made the statement that it just shows why "kids" shouldn't own antique cars and started to walk away.  I asked him if he had a car on the tour, and he proudly stated that he did, a Model 'A' roadster.  I asked him where he was from and if he trailered it to the tour site.  His response:  "Of course I trailered it here and I'm from Cherry Hill!" (Cherry Hill, NJ is just across the river from Philadelphia).   The laughter this elicited from the assembled group was still going on as his back disappeared from view.  I am obviously from the school of keep 'em stock and drive 'em too.  I went it one better and ran the AACA 75th anniversary tour in my 1907 Franklin.  Guess that one would have really upset the Model 'A' guy too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

If the Buick in the OP had been STONE STOCK, just how long would it take for an AACA "expert" to point out every flaw they could find and point it out to the owner. That attitude  drives far more people out of the "restored' club and into the modified fraternity so they can drive them part of the hobby. Bob 

This happens to you often? Please explain the circumstances so that we may all understand. and change our ways.

I guess its just a different way of looking of things. I would love to know what various parts would have looked like when new on my 1936 Pontiac. If someone was expounding about original details that applied to my car, I would be taking notes.

I might not change it all right away. The car will never be shown, that isn't the point (at least in my case). I like to put mechanical things back together better than I find them.

Yes indeed my friends. Just like all of us , I love talking about my cars and those of others. I welcome constructive criticism , and sometimes , in defense of my own departures , like redundant mechanical modern temp and oil press gauges , I'll gladly take a ding in judged points , particularly in that I drive my cars to meets.   - CC

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

Mark, I love your car.

WOW!!!!  These are great photos.  Love your car. 

I don't do many cruise nights or fast food car shows, but if I do show up I always get the guy who insists that I get rid of my 1937 Ford 85 hp flathead and replace it with a 350/350 set up.  All the same wrong ideas: flathead ford not reliable; 6 volt system don't work good; brakes won't stop the car, etc.  You can try and tell them/show them the truth, but they have their own ideas about antique cars.  Are these the young people some of us are clamoring for to get into the old car game? 

I play  on both sides of the fence . my grand pa started me with as stock as we could get it out of are junk yard .And he would say maybe someone will hot rod one out and we can get the old running gear and finish it right . I try to start with junk  when i build hot rods there is plenty around .I do love old stock and hotrods alike kyle

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, jim_coolie said:

Ha, I have felt this way for years - my first car in 1985 was a bone-stock 1955 Chevy 4-door wagon. I loved that car more than life itself just as it came out of the factory. Guys in high school used to give me crap constantly about putting some "real wheels" on it, and even old guys (to me at the time) used to give me unsolicited advice about how to street rod it. I realize that everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their vehicle, but it hurts to see the originals hacked up - esp. when they cut into the original steel because that's impossible to undo. Hard to believe guys are still cutting up original Model A bodies now that there are repros readily available - but I saw it just recently on a beautiful 29 daily driver purchased from a widow. Ouch.

Especially when they get it apart and run out of "gas".  Parts of a very good car probably never to be put back together even close to what the car it used to be.

Moved an engine for a guy that came out of a real solid Model A.  The kid that sold the engine from the car was going to rat rod the A and got a new plasma cutting torch.  He cut off everything including but not limited to the clutch & brake pedals.  Anything that did not go on his rod and needed a wrench to remove got the plasma cutter. What a shame.  Talking to him, I would guess that that project would never get finished.  Another pile of hacked up parts.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

This happens to you often? Please explain the circumstances so that we may all understand. and change our ways.

13 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

You guys are chumpers compared to the Corvette crowd for nit picking the other guys cars.  In fact, I do not think you register on the scale compared to them.

• Haha 1

If the Buick in the [original post] had been STONE STOCK, just how long would it take for an AACA "expert" to point out every flaw they could find and point it out to the owner. That attitude  drives far more people out of the "restored' club and into the modified fraternity so they can drive them part of the hobby. Bob 

Human nature being what it is, 

I suspect there are a few nitpickers

in the hot rod hobby too!  "Hey, buddy,

you should have done this..."

Thankfully, most people are courteous and friendly,

in the AACA and elsewhere.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

You guys are chumpers compared to the Corvette crowd for nit picking the other guys cars.  In fact, I do not think you register on the scale compared to them.

The "Numbers Matching" late model people and of course the hard core Model A Ford people are in a world of their own, it is best to just keep walking and enjoy the event on your own terms. Bob  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Heavens to Murgatroid,

you certainly called this one right! :lol:

I have owned almost 50 Corvettes and used to be a moderator on the largest forum covering them. They can be a pack of wolves! Devouring their own is a favorite past time.

29 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Heavens to Murgatroid,

you certainly called this one right! :lol:

I have owned almost 50 Corvettes and used to be a moderator on the largest forum covering them. They can be a pack of wolves! Devouring their own is a favorite past time.

There was a thread on a vette forum when i was selling my 60 Fuelie about how it has to be a tampered with vin because it was stamped very screwy on the plate.  Way off center and how the font was incorrect etc.  (first of all if you were going to forge something you wouldn't do something like this to draw attention)  

I think it went on for 2 or 3 pages. ( I wasn't part of the thread) Then someone posted a picture of a rusty column with the stainless steel vin plate still attached,  stamped the same sloppy way mine was.  Funny that was the last post.   I never heard a word from the guy that bought it either,  but one guy that looked at it,  I think was even checking the jack to make  sure the date code was correct for it.  

It is nice to have a very correct car when the pros come around and just shake their head because they can't find the flaws that they all have according to them.  

Tis a shame to see the Buick meet the axe to be reengineered into something that hopefully drives as good as the original.

• Like 2

An original car is what I really like. I know a fellow that has show quality cars, a Rolls, Bentley, Buick all in the late 20’s and a Cord. He saw the Studebaker and asked me how often I drove it. The answer was every  chance I can, I’ve put about 4500 miles on it in the last two years or so. I asked how many miles he had but on his and his answer was less than 10 miles each in the 10+ years he owned them. Then he said he wished he had a driver like mine. What a shame to just keep them in a garage or only on a show field.  I don’t think mine would ever be allowed to on a show field even in a survivor class from what I’ve seen called a survivor. The judges would probably have a heart attack or die laughing. That’s ( the laughs not the heart attack ) perfectly ok with me. I’m 71 the beast is 80 (made Aug 27 1937) and I’m sure it is going to out last me so I’m going to drive it, enjoy it and not give a damn if anyone else thinks that’s wrong because it’s mine not theirs. Have fun. 

Dave S 

EA3D821C-0643-4509-93AC-3AF8D8615078.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

There was a thread on a vette forum when i was selling my 60 Fuelie about how it has to be a tampered with vin because it was stamped very screwy on the plate.  Way off center and how the font was incorrect etc.  (first of all if you were going to forge something you wouldn't do something like this to draw attention)  

I think it went on for 2 or 3 pages. ( I wasn't part of the thread) Then someone posted a picture of a rusty column with the stainless steel vin plate still attached,  stamped the same sloppy way mine was.  Funny that was the last post.   I never heard a word from the guy that bought it either,  but one guy that looked at it,  I think was even checking the jack to make  sure the date code was correct for it.  

It is nice to have a very correct car when the pros come around and just shake their head because they can't find the flaws that they all have according to them.  

Tis a shame to see the Buick meet the axe to be reengineered into something that hopefully drives as good as the original.

Flyweights compared to the Ferrari guys. Not even in the same galaxy.

I had a decent F360 Modena and a guy came to see it and noticed that one of the rear valve stem caps was missing (yes, the little black plastic ones on the tires). He started by asking, "Do you know how much one of those costs?" ($28, by the way). Then he started walking around the car, kind of examining it, but he kept coming back to that missing valve stem cap. "Do you know if this car has ever been wrecked?"

"No, it's clean. One owner, clear CarFax, all original paint. We have service records from new."

"Hmmm." More walking around the car but coming back to that rear wheel. "Are you sure? Why would that be missing?"

"Maybe they didn't reinstall it when the new tires were installed?"

"No, that doesn't happen with a Ferrari if you have the right guys do it. I have to think this car was wrecked and someone who didn't know what they were doing put it back together. No, I'm sorry, I can't buy this car."

Then he left and flew back home to Seattle.

WTfriggtyF?

This is why I will not sell Ferraris/Lamborghinis anymore.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You have to remember Matt, even Enzo himself is said to have given his road car customers little respect. Considered them rich , spoiled brats. His main purpose was as a race car constructor. Cars that are thrashed to an inch of their lives from day one.  Not created to be icons of reverence for the 1%.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Our case in point. We drove our stock straight eight drive line (no electric fuel pump either) 1937 Buick with slightly over 111,000 miles to the Buick Nationals in Brookfield WI. Including the Pre War Division after tour. Other than a few bouts of vapor lock from the "Vodka Gas" she had to ingest we had 1,915 relatively trouble free miles.

5a3144af6d180_FullSizeRender1.thumb.jpg.482f0140c045324246020032e55cc61c.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, GregLaR said:

I'm surprised at the derision regarding sedans (as compared to coupes or open cars). Maybe I'm an oddball but I usually prefer a sedan.

Greg

I prefer sedans too. 

When I show pics of each of my "Roaring '20s" Cadillacs to the ladies , they prefer the 1924 7 pass. touring. In the "flesh" , however , different story ! The 1927 5 pass sedan wins OVERWHELMINGLY. Not that the '24 doesn't present well , it certainly is (listen up young elegibles) , a greater "magnet" than a new Ferrari. Howsomever , I am here to tell you tomcats , there is something about the sedan that I have never experienced before. Here you see my first event in 'Vegas , early April , 2016. Rain fell occasionally. I put some plastic over the vulnerable levels of the car , and all those doors sure made the cozy original , unrestored interior a welcoming refuge. The ladies did indeed take advantage of the opportunity !    - Carl 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

OH , and I am building up to a response to Greg's original premise of this topic. It has to do with comparing 3 dimensional travel in airplanes , with 3 dimensional travel in old , original earthbound iron. But I FINALLY have the opportunity to go retrieve my latest acquisition of old iron. T.B.C. ....................   - CC

• Like 1