Exhaust header stuck in manifolds on Suzuki GSX600F

Guest Trin

Hi out there,

I am wanting to replace a full exhaust on my 2002 Suzuki GSX600F. I have got all the eight allen key bolts out so in theory the exhaust should now release all four heads are stuck tight, I have wriggled the exhaust, hit it, applied PB blaster and heated the top up with butane blow torch but still not budging. Can any one give me any advice on this?

Problem is I don't think the lubricant is penetrating far enough in. I don't really want to strip the whole manifolds to put it on a bench.

I await your replies.

Trin

An even better solvent than PB Blaster is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Mix some of that up and spray it liberally on rusty parts and it will generally penetrate overnight and allow easy disassembly. That is how I got everything apart on a 1938 Buick that had been sitting out in the weather for over 20 years.

Cus we are a bunch of smart dudes on this site and we are known to be friendly and helpful too!  I also think there is another fastener or two hiding out of sight somewhere.  Those Japanese cycle guys like to do things like that!

Good luck with your project.

Terry

• Like 1

The interaction between the aluminum cylinder head and steel pipe might have made a rust bond that's going to take some doing to separate.  The various methods to make a concoction to cut through the corrosion might help loosen the bond between the two metals.  It will take time for the fuilds to do their stuff so be patient.

Terry

Seems this is a common problem.  Some recommend a torch and heat it up and pry with a long lever, others say to cut the pipes off and chizel out the rest.  As I suspected, the aluminum head and steel pipe "weld" themselves together.  I was never one to put aftermarket headers on any of my motorcycles.  Couldn't stand all the noise and having to play games with the carb  jetting required to compensate for the header change.  That's me on the right in the photo MANY years ago!

Terry

scan 19.jpeg