1933 Packard Provenance?

CatBird

Though I have acquired a few cars, but am new to the hobby. Only been collecting about less than four years. 

I have a question about provenance on my 1933 Packard Victoria (with Dietrich tags) it is an eight. The interior is a favorite color used by Frank Lloyd Wright, architect, called Taliesin red/orange. There are some stories about the car having been in FLW "Stable" of cars, This may be consistent and am looking for more information(?)

I have traced the past two previous owners and looking further in time.

I solicit your comments about this car

1-09.JPG

IMG_5176 (Medium).JPG

P1080071 (Medium).JPG

P1080158 (Large).JPG

P1080162.JPG

P1080166 (Large).JPG

Edited by Bill Caddyshack (see edit history)

Frank Lloyd Wright loved automobiles, and he did own at some point a Packard, so it's not out of the question that your's could be from his stable.

Obviuosly, you would need documentation....a picture of him with car would at least show he and the car crossed paths, but a paper trail is what you really need.

His favorite color was Cherokee Red, and he apparently painted all his cars that color.....so search the body for traces of red paint!

Beautiful car you have, but remember, a lot of times purported celebrity ownership is just a rumor.  Someone could comment at a show that the interior looks like a FLW color, and by the time the statement gets back to owner it's oh, I heard FLW used to own this car!

post some pics of your other cars too!  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, trimacar said:

post some pics of your other cars too!  

Might get a bit crowded! Any in particular? Just full classics?

Celebrity stories abound! I have a 1958 Cadillac Derham Limousine and the seller swore that Marylin Monroe and John F. Kennedy did the "Horizontal Tango" in the back seat aka "VIP Compartment. Who knows? Seems like they did it about everywhere! Perks of being the POTUS and a movie star! <grin>

IMG_3385.jpg

Edited by CCCA Member 38950 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

As to pictures, start with Pierce Arrow's and Packards...surely you have a Pierce?!?!

OK, yup, grin -- 1916 Pierce Arrow 48B Touring 7 passenger, custom body by F.R. Wood & Son, notice the front bumper with tusks, a Wood trademark. I feel in love first it is a Pierce! then the bumper, like shiny things like the brass. Should be nickel, but been a brass for a while and I'll keep it

Notice lowered top and windshield. Me in the first picture. Not my other cars in the background, but I am trying! Reiterate, bought my first car in 2013. You have seen my only Packard.

IMG_1049 (Large).JPG

IMG_4829 (1) (Medium) (1).JPG

16-Pierce-B-4-48_DV-17-AI_04-800 (Large).jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

Edited by CCCA Member 38950 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

Suggest that you contact the Packard roster keeper for 1933 Packards regarding provenance on your very sharp Victoria. Cars of that caliber are well known by Packard experts.

I am in the Packard club, will do, thanks.

Neat cars!  Thanks for posting.  The Packard is cool and I like the color combo.  I will echo what Dave (trimcar) said.   Stories such as this are true maybe 5% of the time.    Regardless of who the original or prior owners are,  the more history you have for each of your cars, the better off you will be.   I endeavor to trace back all of mine as far as I can go.  

5 hours ago, trimacar said:

Nice Pierce!  I saw it on Facebook, I think....agree the top is really low from pics seen there.....I'm putting a top on a 1919 Pierce, and it's so much taller there's no comparison....

Possibly (hopefully) that Wood made a lower line. The Pierce has been like it is for a lot of years. Researching. 

1 hour ago, NeedsRestoration said:

I am a bit suspicious - once I see a car messed with,  my eyebrows are raised.

First of all - starter motor painted engine color.  Engine color is close to correct -(hard to tell in this medium)   but starter motor case should be black.  Starter motor "access-to-brushes"   cover - I have seen em both ways on cars I THOUGHT were virgins - both engine color AND black.   ? ? ?

Look at the cover for the oil filler.  Both the knob and the sliding cover itself have been painted black - possibly at the same time someone repainted the filler tube.   They should be polished aluminum.

So what else on this car "isn't quite right"....?

Those seem like extraordinarily small nits to pick on a pretty awesome 80-year-old car...

Perfection or I have problems with it seems like a fairly impossible bar to hurdle for any piece of machinery, ancient or not, particularly when there's a happy new owner sharing it with us.

Why not let us have a go at your car, Pete?

Edited by Matt Harwood
He was shitting on the Packard, not the Pierce (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bill

I believe the late Jack Rich of Pennsylvania owned a car exactly like the Packard you have and painted the same color. If he is the former owner that you have on your list, perhaps a call to the former curator of his collection would be in order. If you need contact information for either him or Jack's sons, I can get for you.

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

Hi Bill

I believe the late Jack Rich of Pennsylvania owned a car exactly like the Packard you have and painted the same color. If he is the former owner that you have on your list, perhaps a call to the former curator of his collection would be in order. If you need contact information for either him or Jack's sons, I can get for you.

Great! Sending you a PM with my info

10 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Getting back to the original question. If you can provide me with the car's serial number, I think we might be able to get you some more history on the car. If you'd prefer give me the numbers via personal message or email, that would be fine.

My email is:

StelvioGT@yahoo.com

Thank you, West. I have the car and info at another location and will get the info and send it to you.