alsfarms

Locomobile Model L engine in rebuild

Here is a "before" picture of this engine before rebuilding.  We found no serious big nasty issues when it was taken apart.  The valves had worn way too deep so we invested in new guides and seats as well as new valves as needed.  We put new valves in each exhaust port.  The valve system and cams are as good as the design will allow for this vintage engine.  The second picture shows the ports (blanked off) that originally ran the "Make and Break" ignition system.

IMGP4939.JPG

IMGP4941.JPG

Al

suggest you drop the carberator level down so the bowl level is below the bottom of the frame if you are planning gravity feed . Also open the inlet to the float bowl to about .115 /.120 diameter.  If you will run a fuel pump then this will not matter.   But dropping the carb level should also  give you more installation space 

Hello Bob,  Thanks for your comment and suggestion.  I can see where space is a premium, when it comes to getting the carb. to fit in the minimal space available.  What carb. are you running on your "48"?  Do you happen to have a picture of the carb. install on your car you could post here?  I am very happy with the end product and installation of the Delco Dual spark 4 cylinder unit on my engine.  I am expecting GOOD things out of that distributor!

Al

The picture is of an auxiliary oiling system oil pump installed.  It is now set to run 25 PSI to the bearings, cams and front gear chest.  This is a design that was designed and build by Dave H. (who has now passed on).  It is a nice unit and is located just in front of the flywheel.

Al 

IMG_20180306_101753454.jpg

Here  is a couple of early Locomobile brass items that will be used on this Locomobile project.  The small tag is used for serial and car ID.  The longer brass threshold trim is for use under the doors. 

Al

DSC01786.JPG

DSC01778.JPG