RARE Barrett Brake Dokter for sale on Craigslist

It’s not a good tool, it’s a GREAT tool. The one showen for sale is the auto version, for small cars. For the CCCA Classic you need the VERY RARE truck model. I have owned three truck units. You wouldn’t believe how much money they bring......think thousands, not hundreds. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I have a brake   machine in my shop . It is a good machine . Use it along with a good brake seating tool for the shoes and you will see a big change in the way your brakes work   Kings32

I see this machine matches the surface of the shoe to the drum.  When did they start arching the shoes for ramping up the shoe into the drum?  Just curious as some the info I've found about this machine was in the late 40's and I thought they were all getting arced by that time.  

Appear to be an interesting tool I'd like to have.  Imagine the asbestos death's caused by this thing back in the day.  

The tool is fantastic, you machine the material on the shoe to the drum, it’s perfectly concentric, and you get full contact from the first stop. I can’t explain how good this item is, and it has the truck adaptor and head, which make it good for the big cars. I have the truck version, as I only have big cars. Everyone who has experience with it wants to borrow it. We won’t lend it out due to safety considerations, but we will use it on a friends car at our shop. We go outside, have a vac attached to it, use a respirator with forced fresh air, AND have a large fan behind us at the same time. I wouldn’t want to make a living using it due to the air hazard. What also makes this great is if your drums are oversized, you machine it to the larger ID, and thus your brakes function like new. In the past I have driven a car hundreds of miles and still only had partial contact on the drum with the friction material. Also, you set the entire system back to factory new adjustments, because the machining of the material to just two thousands undersize all around means no pulling or dragging. It saves hours and hours of fussing around with brake adjustments. When we do a brake job now we just go through the entire system, machine the material, and drive. No adjustments necessary, it’s quite a tool.  I had the truck shop version several years ago along with ALL the goodies, in a factory display rolling stand that sat on the floor to be used as tool control. Even had the original instructions with it. The amount of money I sold it for was the only reason I parted with it. 

7C4991D7-176B-43C9-9B0A-02D62ACCB760.png

This sounds much easier than lining the drum with 80 grit and fitting the new linings like I currently do.  A lot of time required to do this.  This looks like another tool to watch for.   My research came across your old post selling the above item with a good description. 

Thanks Ed,  you helped me years ago with the Napa points on the Aero Coupe Pierce  at Northwoods.  Still appreciate the info you gave me.  Brad

• Like 1

I used to use the brake doctor years back in working on cars... was a good tool but very messy in the shop. A old friend still has this tool.

Now days I use a Ammco Safe Arc shoe grinder on mine and some friends brake shoes.

Shoes must be arc'd on all the old lockheed and fixed anchor  type brakes to work properly.