Stefan from Germany

Parts availability 1950's Buick vs. Oldsmobile

On 12/7/2017 at 4:13 PM, N43 said:

GM transmissions of that era had three basic mounting bolt patterns. Chevrolet had Powerglides, Buick had Dynaflow and the others had what's known as C-O-P for Hydramatics used in Chevys, Chevy trucks, Olds, Cadillacs and GMC's although the hydraulic "programming" was different".  Many parts may interchange and a transmission parts supplier will know which.  One big exception is that for few months when the Hydramatic plant burned down in 1954(?), Powerglides were used in Pontiacs and possibly other applications.

the hydra-matic plant fire happen in august of 1953. the chevy power glide was adapted at pontiac, the buick dyna-flow was adapted at cadillac and oldsmobiles.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Stefan from Germany said:

Thanks Roger, your location shows as Switzerland. So I guess we are practically neighbors. I might be in touch regarding my transition. It doesn't need anything right now but I'd like to learn as much as I can about them. Do you still work on these things? Stefan

the new controlled coupling hydra-matic transmission was introduced in the 1956 GM model year, at pontiac the transmission named "strato-flight" was optional as was the older single coupling hydra-matic known as the slant pan hydra-matic. still an option on the chieftain model line up. 1957 was the controlled coupling hydra-matic second year of production, not a introduction year to any part of general motors. 

On ‎19‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 9:19 AM, Stefan from Germany said:

Thanks Roger, your location shows as Switzerland. So I guess we are practically neighbors. I might be in touch regarding my transition. It doesn't need anything right now but I'd like to learn as much as I can about them. Do you still work on these things? Stefan

This is correct, I'm in Switzerland. Neighbors is rather relative: if you are located in Hambourg, we are about 1000 km apart!

Yes, I'm still working on them. A French guy should bring his '58 transmission this spring for overhauling. (As my mother tongue is French, it's easier for me to deal with French people, but I can a bit German. However, to write it is a nightmare...)

23 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Happy to help.  Ebay is a bit frustrating until you learn the tricks.  

It's still frustrating then,  but you tend to spend less time and yield better results.  

Randy, I have 30+ refined searches that are sorted by 'newly listed' that are waiting for me every morning at 6 AM .  Lot of times the early-bird catches the worm with a BIN.  I scored on an Auburn Crosley radio for $250, made my day.