Are 225-60-16 tires OK on 1988 Reatta ?

ski.dive

Do a search on tire size on this forum and you will find lots of discussion and history.

To answer your specific question.......the original tire on the 1988 was 215/65r15 and had an approximate diameter of 26 inches.

Going to 225/60r16 changes that diameter 26.6 and will change the speedometer 2.4 %

Go to www.powerdog.com and you can enter the original size.....then enter other sizes you are considering and it will tell you the changes in diameter, revs per mile, etc.

Example, going to 235/55r16 changes the diameter to 26.2 and only changes the speedometer 0.7% ......clearance is not a problem

I ran 245/50 r 16, it affected the speedometer by 2% but there were no clearance problems (that was with stock wheels.....you must consider offset differences if you are changing to aftermarket or wheels from another GM product.)

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ski.dive said:

Are 225-60-16 tires OK  on a 1988 Reatta?

That size tire will work just fine on your '88. The 225-60/16 is the size tires I have on my car. You will need to mount them on wheels that have the correct offset (like the ones on big GM cars) or there might be a clearance problem between the tire and the spring perch on the front struts. As Barney said, the speedometer will be off. Mine reads about 2 mph slow at 70 mph.