SOLD! 1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car $7500

57 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

@Digger914 appreciate the info. It’s out of my hands for now. I’d complain to eBay but I seriously couldn’t find a way to do that. I can report my eBay ad, but can’t communicate with them except for specific reasons that don’t apply. Let me know if you find a way. 

Thanks!

A bogus website interfering with your sales is something every company needs to know about. The call center is all trained up for handling normal questions and calls. For something like this I find it's best to start at the bottom and If they can't, or won't help, ask them to pass you up to a supervisor and work your way to the top so it can come back down to the person it needs to get to. The call center (866 540 3229) is great for this because they record calls and if there is no procedure for something like this, the call center calls can be used to develop one. If escalating to a supervisor gets you the run around Devin Wenig is the man up top, but his secretary is the better person to talk to and if you need to direct dial corporate, the call center call will be reviewed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Not really following your comments but I’m thinking you have some criticism on the way I marketed this eBay listing?

If so, I am always open to constructive criticism and would appreciate your thoughts. 

I have sold at least 4 or 5 autos on eBay, (not all under this account as I had help on some), in the last couple of years, as well as a comparable amount without eBay. I agree it is the best exposure for the money. Most have sold the first go around, however if a car has limited appeal, or if it is around the holidays, it usually takes a few attempts in my experience. 

My original comments were directed at Carl, he is the one I quoted.  That with which I take umbrage is that the common complaint on all forums seems to be to whack eBay -- buyers, sellers, whoever is on the opposing side.  There is no vetting on eBay.  The same cross-section of humanity that exists in the general public exists there, too.  You're going to have scoundrels and you're going to have good people, but to use a broad brush to paint the buying public as dishonest and manipulative is not fair to the good people that have purchased from myself and others.  I have actually made friends as a result of selling on eBay.  Just because the high bidder didn't come back and buy your car shouldn't reflect on his character.  That can happen for any number of reasons.

I went back and looked and I'll provide constructive criticism since you asked.  Your photos aren't high quality and there aren't enough of them.  Your backdrop needs to be a professional building or an executive home such as where the new owner would have worked or lived.  The lighting is poor and they need to be rotated correctly.  There are no undercarriage shots.  You need to show all four wheels.  You have no store credit, your buyers are looking at you as a used car dealer.  Used car dealers will show the best wheel, not the one with curb scrapes.  Same with the door panel, because Lincoln people know the armrest is always falling off the drivers door, the vinyl is split, and the pull strap covers are missing.  There's a button cap popped off the drivers seat.  You mention a few negatives, but not enough.  You need equal balance of the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It's 40 years old and unrestored, there has to be more.  All those options -- do they work?  Just about all of these cars have them, so it doesn't make yours unique.  If they all still work, that makes your car unique.  Paint flaws are mentioned but you don't show them.  The top damage is difficult to see.  The typeset is small.  You'd be surprised how many potential buyers move on to the next listing if it's hard to read.  If you're willing to lower your reserve, don't wait until the last hour.  The more people you hook early on, the more likely you are to keep them interested if they think they're about to reach the carrot.  Not everybody checks their computer every five minutes. 

These are difficult cars to sell, especially if you're trying to squeeze out every last cent.  Europeans will buy them, but they're looking for the ones in the top 5%.  It costs as much to ship an exceptional one as it does a parts car.  Yours might be in the top 20%.  Maybe it's higher, it's hard to tell the way it's presented.  Only you can decide where the break point is on the work vs. the reward, but the less well presented it is, the shorter the distance that someone will travel to drag it home, and that means a smaller pool of buyers.  For this particular car, everybody has a few of them for sale within a few hours drive of them at any given time.  It's an average listing swimming in a sea of average listings.  I'm not trying to rip your listing to shreds, that's just what I see when I look at it. 

Best of luck with the whole thing.     

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@W_Higgins thanks for your feedback. I am stuggeling with the number of photos. I used to include a google drive link to more, however they don’t allow that now. I’m not hiding anything. If your curious check them out here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1j_Rb5rf7tybV81VFI4eVF2UXc

I am in a difficult situation in Texas. It’s very remote and I’m 2200 from home. There is not a good place I can photograph the car here. I don’t have help or resources like I would at home. I have hauled many cars to Oregon, in fact, but this one is too big for my car hauler. I am actually hoping to attract someone locally who will come see the car in person like I did with the last car I sold. 

There are reasons that some things are the way they are, but it just sounds like I’m making excuses if you don’t know them, so I won’t defend myself beyond what I’ve already said. I agree it’s not an ideal listing. I believe this car will sell, and for the price it is a good value. It’s not a 100% car but it is nice and it does have the higher option package with delayed lights, upgraded wheels, etc. It is well below average retail to account for the few minor flaws it has. 

Thank you you for your perspective. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

On 1/12/2018 at 6:22 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Here is the link to Victoria's Lincoln, where someone

copied her ad evidently without her authorization:

I don’t want to say too much here because it’s publically searchable, however, my attorney has filed a couple lawsuits in regards to this. I’m kind of surprised as I’m not clear if it will do much to stop or punish this man. I assume the most I can hope for is to have my ads taken down but I think it’s going to take a long time. This is my attorneys area of expertise and I am absolutely certain he is not doing it for money,  but because it’s the right thing to do, so I trust him.  He is also someone I’ve know for years and has represented friends as well as large businesses. 

I “inquired” if the car was for sale, never received a response, and immediately started receiving 7-10 spam emails a day from various “businesses”. Between those emails and the ads on thier site, it is clear they are trying to get sensitive information from people to take advantage of them. 

• Like 1

There are many such sites. Almost every car I've ever had on eBay has shown up this particular site and you can even still find my 1941 Buick Limited listed there and I bought it three years ago. I do not believe they represent the cars as being in their inventory or even that they can sell them to you--they don't seem to be interested in selling cars. My guess is that they're interested in selling advertising to other companies and advertising how much traffic they have coming through to look at "their" cars. These sites will grab your auction photos and description and all the other data and simply post it to harvest E-mail addresses from people who try to contact them to buy the car and to sell advertising in the form of banner ads at the top of their site. There's no response to inquiries and they're not running any scam beyond that. Some sites will run ads like this and call you later to try to collect some money: "Hey, have you seen how much traffic we're sending your way? How about buying some advertising from us?" Feel free to ignore these.

I don't think this is a hostile act designed to defraud. They're just harvesting Ebay information for other purposes. But they aren't going to sell your car out from under you or anything like that. Chasing them with a lawyer is probably futile and not money that is well spent. Ignore and move on.

9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

There are many such sites. Almost every car I've ever had on eBay has shown up this particular site and you can even still find my 1941 Buick Limited listed there and I bought it three years ago. I do not believe they represent the cars as being in their inventory or even that they can sell them to you--they don't seem to be interested in selling cars. My guess is that they're interested in selling advertising to other companies and advertising how much traffic they have coming through to look at "their" cars. These sites will grab your auction photos and description and all the other data and simply post it to harvest E-mail addresses from people who try to contact them to buy the car and to sell advertising in the form of banner ads at the top of their site. There's no response to inquiries and they're not running any scam beyond that. Some sites will run ads like this and call you later to try to collect some money: "Hey, have you seen how much traffic we're sending your way? How about buying some advertising from us?" Feel free to ignore these.

I don't think this is a hostile act designed to defraud. They're just harvesting Ebay information for other purposes. But they aren't going to sell your car out from under you or anything like that. Chasing them with a lawyer is probably futile and not money that is well spent. Ignore and move on.

Matt, my attorney is an expert in his field and has been doing this for many years. The people they sell the emails to are the same people who scam people out of money everyday. Plus they are blatantly violating copywrite laws, so if they will do that, they will break other laws. This is absolutely something that should be stopped to prevent fraud. 

Several years ago I ran a blogging group and he was one of my speakers. It is pretty interesting how these people operate and what they are doing with these websites. I agree the average person couldn’t justify putting enough effort in to file a lawsuit. He is doing it more because he has the resources and it’s the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

So I have this friend in real estate.

He was closing a deal the other day (like three days ago) and somehow the buyers email got hacked.

He got an official looking email instructing him to wire 50K to a certain bank account.

He did that and his money disappeared.

Now the seller is ready to close, and the buyer is out 50K.

The bank says "well you supplied the wire info" so they aren't much help.

This is a huge deal, my buddy loses a sale and the sellers are ready to vacate but the buyer lost his life savings.

True story going on in the Seattle area right now.

17 minutes ago, JACK M said:

He was closing a deal the other day (like three days ago) and somehow the buyers email got hacked.

He got an official looking email instructing him to wire 50K to a certain bank account.

This is a huge deal, my buddy loses a sale and the sellers are ready to vacate but the buyer lost his life savings.

Not just Seattle but across the country.  Most RE brokerages are now telling clients to view with great caution any messages instructing them to wire funds, and to telephone their agent to confirm validity of the email.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JACK M said:

Jack, this happened when I was a title rep in Portland in my office. Luckily, the client called to ask the escrow officer if the email instructions were valid. They were not, their email had been hacked. It has been happening all over the country for the last 6 years or so. 

I taught a class on wire fraud and other types of fraud to Realtors. We changed the way we did business to prevent this, including telling all parties not to expect changes in wiring instructions to come via email. 

Sadly, this type of loss is not insured and the money is usually not recovered. It’s devistating to think of someone loosing their life savings. 

12 hours ago, JACK M said:

Who would do this without researching? Guy can't be stupid with 50k. Wow!! 

6 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Who would do this without researching? Guy can't be stupid with 50k. Wow!! 

Sadly many have. These guys are sneaky and hack the account far in advance. They wait for the right time towards the end of the transaction and send very authentic looking emails with logos, etc. The return email address appears legit also. They have other emails diverted so the buyer doesn’t see them. It’s all very sophisticated and believable. Even Realtors who do this all the time get duped. 

NEVER follow advice to transfer $$ via email. Always confirm in person or with a phone call you make to the appropriate party.