Imperial62

1995-1999 Riviera Wheel Center Cap

I have checked out the wheel website posted by 89RedGrey.  Yesterday I purchased 2 wheels from a local salvage yard,  These are the 16 x 6.5 chrome Riviera / Park Ave wheels same as 1991 Reattas only full chrome.  Now I need the center caps.   

There are several center cap options on the Hubcaps.com website for these years Buick.  Does BKC34A fit the 16 x 6.5 wheel ?  

buick riviera rim part #4020Buick Riviera Center Caps #BKC34A

I would think- what you need to know is are the '88-'90 center caps interchangeable with a '91 wheel?

Does anyone out there have the means to check?

Have a wheel off my car so I looked at the back of the hub cap for numbers.

GM seemed to have a mold for that hub cap and a number was molded on the back side of the part.

My 1991 originals have 2 numbers and a partial on a third.

There is a chance that the back half of the mold (with the numbers) was used on hubcaps that fit the 16" rim.

Our 1991 hubcaps had an indent for the "R" emblem....later hubcaps had a molded in depression with the Buick tri-shield.

Bottom line.....some of the number may match.   Here are the numbers from my 1991 cap

last number has the first part ground down but it ends in G008

If buying chrome caps, ask if there are any numbers.......aftermarket caps may have no numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imperial62 said:

The 91 Reatta cap won't work because it is machined and not 'chrome'.   

Thanks Dave

Maybe- you could rub it down with #0000 steel wool & Mother's? After you get as much luster as possible- do the other 3 to match? Just a thought.

I may be reading the post wrong but there seems to be some confusion about the 1991 (16") hub cap.

The 1991 16" wheel is totally different appearance than the 1988-1990 wheel which is 15"

The hub caps are different also........

The 1988-1990 is the larger cap on the right .....it is a plastic back with an aluminum shin covering the outside....and that can be polished.

The smaller 1991 hub cap is all plastic with a silver paint that matches the wheel.

There was a white wheel option and the hub cap was white.

A couple years later, the Riviera had the same wheel as an option with the touring package

Then on the last generation Riviera 1995-1999 a chrome version of the wheel was offered, the same chrome wheel was also an option on 1998-99 LeSabres and Park Avenues, and because the wheel was chrome, the hub cap was also chrome.

It is not real noticeable but the '91 wheel pictured without the hub cap is the stock silver color....the wheel with the hub cap is the white option.

The last (bad) picture is the chrome option, note it did not have the fake rivets or the black line dividing the paint on the Reatta wheel.

I think I am also correct that the Reatta wheels were 7 inches wide and the chrome versions were 6.5 inches.

hub caps.jpg

silverwheel.jpg

whitewheel2.jpg

140.jpg

s-l225W00IUHR2.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Hi Barney:

I have purchased 2 and will purchase 2-4 more of the Park Avenue full chrome wheel.   This is what I am going to put on the 1990 Driftwood convertible.  The two wheels I purchased on Saturday are 16 x 6.5 so they are Park Ave rims.  I know that - I was not trying to get a set of 1991 Reatta rims. 

These chrome wheels - there are many still out there on beater cars MISSING THE HUBCAPS.   That's the problem.  So - the hubcaps for these wheels need to be full chrome.  When you go into the Hubcaps.com website, they list about a dozen possible caps.   I am going to look for and / or order the full chrome one I posted above which features the Buick crest. 

I have a bead on four more of the wheels with 2 caps for $100 but it's up in Minneapolis, a 4 + hour drive.    I believe Marck Barker's posts show that he runs with the chrome wheel at least on the one car in his posts, and I have always liked it. 

Right now my convertible has polished 5 star stock Reatta rims. 

• Like 1

I like those chrome Riv. wheels, had them on the first Riv I owned. Worst case, get the centercaps for the Riv, they look great and have a fancy R on them that matches the Reatta R, since they both start with an R, no lay person will ever know. But we will.... lol I think the orig. Riv. centers are hard to find though. Definitely the Reatta center caps won't match, they're too much of a matte finish

While looking on Ebay.....these wheels are for sale there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-X7-CHROME-BUICK-REATTA-RIVIERA-1992-1993-OEM-Factory-Original-Wheel-Rim-4004/192367402902?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Df3632b0cec5843079a0bd73d8ae7ad6b%26pid%3D100705%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100705.m4780

Note the ad says they are chrome and the photo is just a file copy......they will send you a picture of the chrome wheel.

I would be interested to see if it is actually a 1991 Reatta wheel that has been chromed or the later Riviera, LeSabre, Park Avenue chrome wheel

the real clue is the fake rivets.......if they chromed a Reatta wheel the rivets will be there.  otherwise they are the later wheels and probably 16 x 6.5

If they are what the listing title says (92-93) they couldn't be Reatta wheels that have been chromed because no '92 model Reattas were made.:)

What if.......the 92-93 is wrong and they are Reatta wheels?

Probably just another seller that is making wild guesses about what they are selling.

That is possible. I find it unusual that they don't post actual photos of what they are selling. I wonder what they mean when they say "Wheel Rim 4004"? Just a reference number for their inventory or do you think it might be a number on the wheel?

4004 is the Hollander interchange number. The chrome Riviera wheel is hollander # 4020. 

The 1991 Reatta wheel is used on some 1992 and 1993 Rivieras. So their year range isn't entirely incorrect. 

What does it mean Hollander Interchange # ?  I am on ebay now and finding a few Buick caps from this period.   There is one set of caps labeled Regal 99-2005 that looks right and the price is good, but if they don't fit my wheels, they are junk to me.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-OEM-1998-05-Buick-Regal-GS-Century-CHROME-Center-Caps-Hubcaps-10254321/142614785959?hash=item213480efa7:g:IWkAAOSwbwJaJey9&vxp=mtr

Those look to have much more curve/dome to the cap than the one you need.  If the seller would show the back, that often shows the location of the latching tabs and give you an idea if they will fit.

https://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/d/97-buick-park-avenue-ultra/6410632475.html

This photo confirms the correct (or at least one of the correct) center cap for the 1995 to 1999 16 x 6.5 chrome wheel. 

00k0k_7HqdvJk3Hwd_600x450.jpg

00101_7nPIQAhmqMC_600x450.jpg

I sent the seller a text offering him $75 plus shipping for these CENTER CAPS.  I would love to have the whole set of 4 wheels, because if you read the ad you know these wheels are going to follow this car to the salvage yard. 

I have 2 of these wheels but no center caps. 

Buy the whole car..........that way you don't pay shipping on the wheels.

The Ultra has the 3800 supercharged engine WOW

That small dent in the top could be easy to pop out........

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, Barney Eaton said:

That small dent in the top could be easy to pop out........

The one the Goats left, bbbbaaaaaahhhhh.   No - There is a U Pull It Yard in Omaha with several of these cars, so it's road trip time.

I don't get this guy. He knows no one is going to buy this car. I offer him $75 plus postage to just send me the caps!  He texts back "uhm I'll have to think about it, maybe."  Look - that's a sweet $75 spot for very little work for a car - which - if it goes to the junk yard as we all know it will, they don't care about 4 plastics caps!  I know because all the U Pick It's around here have no caps laying around!

Edited by Imperial62 (see edit history)