Question on old Autolite part

John348

I came upon a box of parts I purchased a few years ago on a bulk sale, In there were a few nice Autolite parts bagged '48 Chrysler marked "rebuilt." I am GM guy so please forgive me for my unfamiliarity. I think it is a cut-out? Pre-voltage regulator?  The numbers on it are HRM 4102. I was thinking horn relay because of the "HR" in the part nomenclature...  but??? 

I also found a Chrysler Desoto eight-cylinder electric choke set up in the box, I confirmed that on search, pretty pricy part! 

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

I've had a few of these in the past.  I think their official use is an OD relay for 41 Hudson or something like that.  (odd it's so specialized)   They can be marketed as a Horn relay though and sell better that way.  I actually came across a few in the autolite boxes and they had instruction diagrams that showed how to wire them up for horn or accessory relays for Fog lights or whatever accessory you wanted to run through a relay.   Autolite probably did this after they realized they made way too many and had to find some other way to market them. 

On 12/3/2017 at 10:25 AM, auburnseeker said:

I've had a few of these in the past.  I think their official use is an OD relay for 41 Hudson or something like that.  (odd it's so specialized)   They can be marketed as a Horn relay though and sell better that way.  I actually came across a few in the autolite boxes and they had instruction diagrams that showed how to wire them up for horn or accessory relays for Fog lights or whatever accessory you wanted to run through a relay.   Autolite probably did this after they realized they made way too many and had to find some other way to market them. 

Thanks for getting me on the right track, what I came upon is that it is an "underdrive" relay for semi automatic for 46-48 Dodge, Desoto, and Chrysler