Summershandy

original engine colour

I'm just curious on an original engine colour for a 1954 straight 8 cylinder. Mine is light blue mixed with rust and grease of course and don't know if it is original. POR15 makes a light blue engine enamel for 55-65 years. Buick green includes my year. I'm partial to the blue but again, just curious if someone know the definite answer because I'm not finding anywhere. Thanks!

IMG_6717.JPG

look up bill herish (spelling ? )  he has all original engine paint. I am not home so i cant get his phone number . Or in the smoke signals mag. there are all different year tech support guy

I received my paint samples from Hirsch today. Bit of a cross roads and I'm sure this wouldn't be a question to others on what colour I should really go with. The colour they say for the '54 L8 engine is blue/green. Rather dark to me. The others are light blue and turquoise. On one hand, someone said light blue was the Pontiac go to colour. I've gotten this far and would really like to have the engine the original colour even if I don't like it much. That or being at a rally and have some 80 year old say, "you know that's the wrong colour for that engine, right?" LOL. Probably over thinking like I always do. My thinking is a darker colour would also hide any oil stains and such. Nothing looks worse than a light coloured paint job all covered in dirt. 

IMG_6721.JPG

John's dark green above is correct for 1940-57, my (dusty) 1957 engine is also shown.  The dark green has become hard to find from anyone other than Bill Hirsch but I am told the same green was also used by 1940s-50s Packards and maybe some 1940s Studebakers if you want to see what those look like, good luck, Todd C

StarResto 003.jpg

Thanks for the info Todd. I'll check for some pics. I'm really liking the colour tint of John's engine now. I think I've decided. I love the look of these intakes painted the same colour. 

I was just ending the day of engine cleaner when I sprayed a little paint stripper on one of the valve covers

I don't know if the picture does it justice but when I gave it a wipe it turned green!

I now think that yup, blue/green is the original as mentioned. Someone at sometime painted the engine with probably the most convenient paint colour available Pontiac blue. Back to original she goes!

IMG_6727 - Copy.JPG