Another Wiper Motor Question

1938 P6.

Can anyone tell me if I am correct in assuming that my wiper motors fits behind the headliner and the only visible part is the pull/push switch which protrudes through the headliner? And, is this area directly above the inner windshield frame simply cloth headliner as well or is there any type of exposed inner metal panel that the visors bolt to and the wiper switch protrudes from? (I know, I know, I ended that run on sentence with a preposition. I belong in Grammar Hell). :lol:

Thanks, Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

On 11/29/2017 at 5:10 PM, GregLaR said:

1938 P6.

Can anyone tell me if I am correct in assuming that my wiper motors fits behind the headliner and the only visible part is the pull/push switch which protrudes through the headliner? And, is this area directly above the inner windshield frame simply cloth headliner as well or is there any type of exposed inner metal panel that the visors bolt to and the wiper switch protrudes from? (I know, I know, I ended that run on sentence with a preposition. I belong in Grammar Hell). :lol:

Thanks, Greg

Your description of how the wiper motor goes on exactly matches that for the 1937 Plymouth P4 that I've seen. The push/pull control is the only thing protruding through the headliner. You can contact the Plymouth Owners Club's technical advisor for the 1938 models for confirmation.

24 minutes ago, broker-len said:

I have a 36 restored years ago     the motor screws to the windshield frame then a metal cover which is covered with the same headliner material goes over and push pull switch comes through hold      I can send picture if helpful

My 1933 PD matches this description of how the wiper mounts on your 1936 model. So I guess they made a big change on this between 1936 and 1937.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Thanks Guys. I don't seem to have a metal panel to cover the area above the windshield, unless it's missing? Only the small brackets that anchor the rearward side of the motors.

20171120_132240.jpg

Greg      there must be something between the top of windshield and the head liner  which is where the vacuum motor is mounted     what covers it ?????    next time I go to my garage try to take picture and post    looked at picture you posted  I think you are missing it

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hey Greg so where do you stand on the wiper motor mounting?  do you have it figured out yet?  If I need to I will go out and reacquaint myself with mine, but I seem to remember that the motor mounts through the roof with the die cast hardware and the motor just free floats inside with the push pull handle going thru that bracket and the headliner.  Greg 

Motors are mounted. Easy enough. No headliner yet. Can't seem to find anyone with a 1938 Plymouth, anywhere who can view theirs or send me a picture.

Restoration Specialties in Pa sell presewn headliners through a company in California. I've seen several and they were quite nice but for some cars you had to buy extra material to cover the header panel and the sail panels at the rear. Had several types of brushed cotton in different colors to chose from.