Retired w/Reatta

1988 in Junkyard

A very nice '88 (except for the smashed in front end) just showed up in one of my local pick n pulls. Today I got a front abs sensor, hood ornament and some other stuff.  The rear taillight lens also appears to be ok but I already have three in my basement.  The interior is in very good condition and is the same dark blue as my '90.  I'm going back Wednesday to pull seats (driver's 16-way), interior panels and probably some dash stuff if I have time.  I'd like to pull the steering wheel.  I'm used to working on my '90.  Would someone please tell me how to remove the center cap and wheel from an '88.  

Thanks,

S.

Pretty straight forward. Grab the cap with your finger tips under the edges and lift off to a distance of 2-3". Turn over and remove the horn spring by pushing down the lead into the column slightly and turning. When you feel that it is loose pull back and the cap is now free. Take a straight blade screwdriver and pry off the horse shoe clip. Then take a socket [don't remember the size but at least 3/4"]  and remove the nut. Then using a steering wheel puller remove the wheel. Or what I have done is take along a hammer and with my left arm under the wheel cross ways and pulling up I leave the nut on to the top of the column and then whack the steering column. After a few hits the wheel usually comes loose.

BTW I sent you a Private Message some time ago about parts, do you have an answer for me? I could also use some otrher parts as well. 

Dave,

Thanks for the info.  I was concerned about removing the center cap and breaking something.  in the '90-'91 trying to remove the horn buttons from above will break them.  I apologize for not responding to your PM.  I will send you one tonight.

and..

Barney,

Will do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retired w/Reatta said:

A very nice '88 (except for the smashed in front end) just showed up in one of my local pick n pulls. Today I got a front abs sensor, hood ornament and some other stuff.  The rear taillight lens also appears to be ok but I already have three in my basement.  The interior is in very good condition and is the same dark blue as my '90.  I'm going back Wednesday to pull seats (driver's 16-way), interior panels and probably some dash stuff if I have time.  I'd like to pull the steering wheel.  I'm used to working on my '90.  Would someone please tell me how to remove the center cap and wheel from an '88.  

Thanks,

S.

Hi! You said you had some rear tail lights in your basement. Are they in good shape, as in clear and with no cracks? If so I'd be willing to buy one from you! Thanks :)

RetroJohnny-

If you need one, you should buy the one on this car, or Stanley can send you one of his and take the one on this car.  

Dark Blue interior is not one I can use any interior parts from that are blue at least.   I have found the power window switch is valuable as a core or if it works, ditto the power mirror switch - both with the covers of course.   It will take a Phillips screwdriver, a Torx T20 (I think) - take a couple of the smaller Torx just in case.   I think the whole console has value even if blue carpeted. 

I need a good black shifter knob for sure.  This has the horseshoe pin in front, pop it out, pulls right off - probably same as all Reattas. 

I do need a wheel set unless I sell the Select 60, but I have a wheel set coming so I should be OK if those are expensive. 

I don't know about your Pick a Part yard but mine evidently pulls ALL wheels and they are never there when I go in.  Good luck - I wish my Pick a Part had a Reatta.   I am going out today to see if a yard still has a 1990 and 1991 Reatta.  

13 hours ago, 2reattas said:

I could use the glove box latch bkt if you would be so kind

On the 1988 or the 1990-91?   I am going back on Saturday and I believe latches were present on both. 

Imperial62,

My lots also pull all the wheels.  Drives me crazy.  Sometimes if I'm lucky I'll find some hubcaps in the trunk.

handmedownreatta,

This car got hit on the passenger side/front.  That door is toast.

2reattas,

Is it the push button set-up you want or the inside latch on the door.

I'm gonna try to get back there tomorrow.

IMG_0359.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1