63 Turbines eBay (potentially 64).

Chimera

As Steve points out in his ad, the covers are good for a 64 if the web's are painted.  The plastic emblem for these spinners is the same part as are the centers for the respective base wheel covers. The 64 center shown is not part of the deal.

What is not specified in the ad is if the covers are for the 5-1/2" or 6" wheel.  The studs are different lengths for each width wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Ed - I ended up with set of turbines above from Steve - not cheap but in very nice condition . Think they will clean up very nicely with lots of elbow grease. . Question - it's my understanding that the 63 vanes were NOT painted?... Also the length of the studs should be how long for each of the 63 and 64 ?. My 63 had wire wheels when I got it and I have not had a chance to pull them off yet to see if I Have the correct rims that the turbines will bolt on to. My suspicion is that I don't but will know this weekend . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Ken,  I've been under the weather a bit and have yet to pull some covers off the shelf and get some measurements for the studs.  The illustration that was posted by Tom tells the over all length of the two different studs.  That's okay if you have factory parts from which to choose.  If you're having to come up with something on your own,  like a length of all-thread, the most important measurement is not listed on the illustration.  That would be the length of the shoulder that's part of the stud.  The studs is tightened into the cover, then a nut on the end of th stud holds the cover on the wheel.  To keep from exerting pressure between the cover and the wheel, the nut tightens the wheel to the shoulder on the stud thereby putting all the pressure on the stud rather than the cover.  I'll get those different measurements posted ASAP.

Ed

Thanks Ed - pulled the wire wheel covers off my 63 today and the rims appear to have the appropriate holes to mount the turbines . I am hopeful that these are the original rims and that the turbines will bolt on without a problem . I appreciate your help and hope you get to feeling better . 

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

Ken, Ed,

I`m very skeptical you will find an exact replacement stud in the aftermarket but I have not done a search. Generally, a "shouldered" stud which is typically found in the aftermarket has a shoulder which is a much smaller diameter (as compared to the original stud`s shoulder). It will likely be much more expedient to stack flat washers to mimic the function of the shoulder on the original studs if you want to replicate the original cover to wheel fit. Personally, I prefer to fit the covers closer to the wheel to avoid the gap between the cover and wheel. Obviously the wheel`s rim needs to be as true as possible to reduce said gap.

Attached you will find a pic of an original RED stud. The overall length which protrudes away from the wheel cover, including the shoulder but NOT including the length of the stud screwed into the wheel cover, is 15/16ths. The shoulder of the stud measures 5/16ths.

If you happen to have the 5.5 inch rims and need info re those studs let me know and I`ll sort thru a couple piles of these wheel covers to try to find an example to compare. I suspect the shoulder dimensions will be the same but best to confirm.

Tom Mooney

DSC00020.JPG

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I got a few covers down from the shelf and took a stud from a cover for a 5-1/2" wide wheel and one from a 6" wheel.  The stud from the 6" wheel cover has lost its red color but there's no doubt as to which is which - it's longer.  This first picture shows both lying next to a ruler. You can see that they're definitely different overall lengths.

20171210_163442.thumb.jpg.57be3ecce2fdb39c04abbeb08deec185.jpg

This next picture shows the length of the portion of the studs (On the right, not as rusty) that are screwed into the cover. Notice that this part of each stud is the same length. FYI - Because the studs are steel and the covers are aluminum, the studs are very difficult to remove.

20171210_163509.thumb.jpg.e8f505502be7c8bbcd44f8c9a24ccd8e.jpg

This picture shows the two studs lying side by side with the parts of the studs (rusty) that go through the holes in the face of the wheel and have a nut (serrated flange nut) threaded onto it.  Notice that this part of each stud is the same length.

20171210_163526.thumb.jpg.738ead4c0f5732cf35b67a1709f68c02.jpg

Therefore, the only difference in the length of the studs is the length of the shoulder.  The shoulder on the 5-1/2" wheel stud is 1/16" thick.  The shoulder on the 6" wheel stud is 5/16" thick.  The studs are 1/4" different in length as are the shoulders.  That 1/4" is half of the difference between the widths of the two wheels ?.  Hopefully this information will help those of you who need to come up with some studs for your cast covers and will space the covers the correct distance from the rim of the wheel.  For some of you, you know that distance is just enough for some flunky tire jockey to get a pry bar under and pry a chunk out of your cover.

Ed

• Thanks 1