1950s Chevrolet dealer shipping cover?

basscaster

Just got three of these from a massive vintage parts collection I bought. It appears it may be a dealer car cover for a mid-1950s Chevy. Very large. Can anyone else confirm this? I can't find anything like it on the web or eBay. I didn't fully lay it out because I was lazy, but you can see the truck in the background for scale.

173.JPG

174.JPG

175.JPG

176.JPG

177.JPG

178.JPG

No not a shipping cover. Those would be disposed of as soon as they were removed.

What is it made out of?

My guess is that it is a PRE ANNOUNCEMENT cover for either the showroom windows or maybe a singe car in the showroom.

Announcement night was a very big thing in the 50s and keeping the new models out of sight until their official unveiling was very important. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cover a single car in the showroom until announcement night.. . . Makes sense. 

The immediate postwar years of 46--8 didn't need a big announcement to promote sales.

Everything was new in 49, then they stayed the same until 52.

1953 would have a big hoopla introduction and then the tradition of the 'big reveal' on announcement night would continue until around the very early 60s. After that the car magazines were regularly publishing spy photos and secret drawings of the new models, so the need to keep a car hidden until announcement night would become increasingly meaningless. 

I am no Chevrolet expert, but the logos seem to be from the earlier 53-57 era(?)

It is a VERY RARE item by survival.

Value? who knows. 

• Like 2