V12 pcv systems

2nevets

There are several possible methods.  You can adapt a hose with PCV to the hole in manifold leading to engine valley, at least on later models, that lets air from engine into air cleaner.  You could also drill a hole in web near mounting bolt holes, no water in intake manifold, but avoid exhaust passage.  Some use the manifold port for vacuum connection, better if you can add hole to carb near throttle control, or add a spacer plate under carb for carb vacuum to PCV.  I found a Chevy 292, 6 cylinder PCV  valve fit OK.  Haven't yet run to check vacuum though.  However, if engine has too much blow-by or if two piece valve guides are leaking, this won't solve problem for long.  Time for a rebuild with one piece Ford 8BA guides and valves and newer aluminum pistons with new rings.  Then apply PCV valve.  Engine will be cleaner inside and will last longer. 

Abe

If there are a lot of fumes coming from the breather, you need to find out why. In addition to worn rings, sludge in the engine could be blocking the air flow. The breather is supposed to be the intake and the exhaust of the fumes is supposed to be in the oil pan. The air flow is into the breather across the valve valley down the breather tube at the front of the engine and out the air slots in the road draft portion of the oil pan. Those slots must be kept clean and open. The breather must also be kept clean.

A PCV may help for a while, but IMHO I would find the reason for the fumes and repair it.

Be aware that the one piece valves and guides will control oil consumption better than the split guide, but they are more prone to sticking with the Ethanol enhanced fuel. If you go to these valve and guides, you should use an upper cylinder lube in the fuel. MMO works very well in the specified amount. Too much will give you performance problems.

Yes, the stinkin -lincoln syndrome--so much blowby from rings, split valve guides and general wear, This is big reason 

our favorite cars were not loved for a long time--eventually you should rebuild the engine, updates as you can read about--then it

is a pretty good dependable machine----I tried patching many times--no good-----

I punched a hole in the side of an old ford breather, welded a fitting to my oil filler,stuck on a heater hose   and let the carb suck off some--until it started to foul plugs!!

--others use old ford draft tube...Our beloved v-12 is sorta like the modern Caddy 4.1 v-8s, nice when new, but expensive when old---do it right or dont do it.....

I totally agree with Jeff - My first year driving my 41 Cabriolet , I  used 4 quarts of oil on a 400 mile trip , with windows open and top down. 

I tried a side breather tube to no avail . Then total rebuild with new aluminum pistons , rings , valves and seals . It took me 5+ years to rebuild it myself,

but now do not use a drop of oil , nor do  I have any blowby into the passenger compartment.  GREAT engine if you maintain it and CHANGE THE OIL.

Also do use MMO in the gas to quiet lifters. After 5,000 miles it still is great.

Mike

Back in Oct. 1970 I bought a very used 1940 LZ 4 dr. in Beetle Green for $275. After getting it to run, it was quite obvious the

V12 was well worn , it smoked like a "tar kiln".  When I drove it down the road and stopped at a stoplight, the blueish ,white ex-

haust came back into the car and coated the windshield! Something had to be done. At my local Sears/ Roebuck I purchased  a wash-

ing machine discharge pipe. This was a black rubber stiff pipe with a "J" hook on one end. Removed the oil fill/breather cap and

placed the "J" hook in the stand pipe . I used 1'' vinyl tape and taped it well. The long portion of the pipe ran down next to the bellhousing.

All the smoke and fumes pumped down on the road. Drove it until the following Spring , sold it for  $450; had  a little fun!

• 1 month later...