Can you identify these items? (More will be added)

victorialynn2

Yes Vic'. That is the thermostat which controls the degree to which vertical shutters in front the radiator admit cooling air. Closed at start and through warm up to about 140 degrees. You can test it by warming water with a cooking thermometer. See if the threaded rod in the center starts to move , and continues on past 140. In order to see if it is useable as is , you would need to know the spec for total travel from say 140 to whatever full open would be. That might be 155 , but I am not sure. I will show you the similar t'stat used on my 1927 Cad.   - Carl

P.S. : IIRC Bill Hirsch sell these for around $300 or so. BUT , they seem to have a shelf life , although probably a few decades. They are sealed with Ethyl Ether inside , and I guess the stuff works its way out slowly , molecule by molecule. Yours might just be a rebuildable core. I am not good on pricing things , but I do know that guys do put want adds for them from time to time. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add info and P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Vic'. I thought you might like to see what these do. First is a pic of the bare radiator in the '27 without the shutters installed. Next , totally cold with the shutters completely closed. Next barely cracked open , then almost open , and lastly completely open. That pic with cormorant crap "decorating" the old Cad , is getting close to Death Valley. Temp in the 90s , strong (25-30 mph) headwind engine temp around 170 - perfect. You absolutely MUST have a new radiator and thermostat in these relics if you intend to play with them in this way !    - CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not to many people work with, or even know how to work with lead anymore and to one person this sells for the price of lead, another will see three almost new paddles that I haven't seen sold anywhere in years. Sell the lead separate from the tools, a black powder shooter who casts their own bullets down there in cowboy country will pay more for the lead than someone leading a fender will pay to have that small amount shipped cross country. Anyone spreading lead on compound curves won't hesitate to pay for shipping  the tools that they need to work the curves. Ask $20 each for the beautiful big handled stubby 's  and maybe sell one today, or ask $40 for all four paddles and sell them to the person who needs the one and will take all at a fair price.

Holley 5220 is a replacement carburetor for Pinto/Vega and others. Weber clone.

• Like 1

I should have elaborated just a bit more about the t'stat. Indeed it must have a certain travel between two exact temp points. BUT , if it just starts to open at PRECISELY the spec temp , and , I repeat , PRECISELY the exact temp (you would have to be an obsessive lab tech and the right set up to dead nail it) , you can have a certain degree of confidence in it. HOWEVER , with it out , in any case , it should be rebuilt to original spec. The master engineer for this is Jim Otto in Tennessee , phone 865-966-9494. He is a retired Sylphon engineer. He rebuilt mine , which as you see works perfectly. I always recommend everyone to send theirs off to Jim while he still provides this service. He is THE expert , reasonable price , fast turnaround. As I say , there is a shelf life to these. No one should just plug one in that has been sitting around for decades , even if not used.  - Carl 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tripwire said:

The copper exhaust manifold gaskets bring $40 - $50 for a complete set. Do you have all three?

The fuel pumps are Flathead Ford. Again, only good for cores. Put them with the others you've already found.

Yes, all three manifolds are there. Thanks for the info!

I have a lot of misc parts and 3 flathead V8’s and one Straight six if anyone is interested. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, victorialynn2 said:

@C Carl do you have any info on this? Ty!

30C45697-F8CF-4071-818E-6959D63B1DCD.jpeg

At the swap meets you see them for sale and the vender never knows if they are good or not. I shake them to hear if there is any fluid in them and most often they do not. But still have to test to see how far they move. They cost $225. to rebuild with a new brass winding and a refill. I have NOS 1930 -31 ones still in the cylindered blue tube with the Cadillac crest on it and still good so the will keep for some time.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

image.thumb.png.1f113600900fd7fb9223fe3e8118f94b.png

I have a National Service Data book. That number, 1539971, does not show up. The years covered are 1936 to 1949 or 50. So they must belong with post-50 vehicles. They include a vacuum pump for the windscreen wipers (the part on the RHS in the photo). That is the bottom pump in the photo. The top pump seems to have something like 403(?)2 on the flange - I can't see that number either, so again, post '50. The Hollander 1952 does not list those numbers either. But Ford had its own numbering system, different to the AC numbers (which I think 1539971 is).

12 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Do these parts get advertised for sale some were? 

Bob 

Bob, I will be back at the garage this weekend. I will take pics of what I have priced and post in the parts for sale section with a link in this post. 

I have sold a few things to locals and still have more to price, but I will get the thread started ASAP.

Thank you. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

For those of you that have been following my progress, I got an early Christmas present today. I have been working on title issues for a couple cars for over a year. I went through the bonded title process for over a year on a 48 Jeepster and 55 Chevy 2 door post, only to find out I couldn’t do it with a POA. (Time delayed from my lack of follow through at times.)

I applied for titles on these two cars, expecting a rejection on at least the 55. I needed the rejection to move forward with a court claim. To my surprise, I received a straight up, clear title on the 55 today. I am so happy. I don’t expect an issue with the Jeepster because I had a chain of title on it, but only had a BOS on the 55. 

Still waiting on the Jeepster but suspected a delay because I’m attempting to get the engine number on the title changed to the VIN and was warned that I’d probably have a rejection and need to use the new engine number. 

Christmas came early for me. Yay!

• Like 3

Another update... I got confirmation today that the 1948 Jeepster title was mailed out on the 21st. I don’t have it yet, but they didn’t kicked it back to the local office, so I am hoping they used the VIN and not the engine number as requested also. DMV didn’t want to submit it without the engine number, but I begged them. They have been incorrect about so many things, I thought I’d try it. 

In thier defense, they have been very kind with so many things for my father’s cars. They made calls to the regional Austin office and got the incorrect info.

In summary, I went through the bonding process (and was rejected because i can’t use my POA for it), for nothing because I was able to get both titles with the BOS and Deputy inspection on the 55; and an inspection and an old title for the Jeepster.  (That title was signed over to my father’s business, then a BOS from his business to himself, but never retitled), and had the wrong engine number on it to boot. (Engine had been replaced).

I probably got very lucky, so hard saying if this would always happen. I just know that I was given a lot of incorrect info and I should have just submitted what I had and tried for the regular title before anything else. I was discouraged from doing that by the local DMV, in hindsite for reasons that appear to boil down to misinformation.

I was even told if I applied for the titles and was rejected that they would keep all the original info I submitted and I’d be out of luck. For this reason I was strongly urged to apply for a bonded title. (When applying for the bonded title, it is less work for the DMV clerk because it’s handled by a third party you pay).

I now know I could have easily gone to court to ask the judge to award the cars to my father if necessary. I believe they just always suggested the bonded title because they didn’t understand the hearing process. The staff that works there has since admitted they have never done it. They didn’t admit this until I was rejected for the bonded titles because I couldn’t use my POA and that was no longer an option and the regional DMV manager suggested the hearing process. Since a regular title is better, I would have tried for the hearing first off if they hadn’t have made it sound so difficult. To get a hearing you have to apply for and be denied a title first. Imagine my surprise when I wasn’t even denied!

The lesson is that sometimes you get incorrect info simply because they have never been persuaded to try another legal option. 

On 12/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, Spinneyhill said:

Fuel pumps: are there any numbers stamped on them? That will determine usage. Used ones are generally in the $40-50 range

Fuel pumps sell much better in quantity. Since you only have a few, I can sell you about a dozen that have been on a shelf for the past 20 years at my place. Then you can offer the group at a wholesale price. Eager resellers would probably scoop them right up.

Bernie

• Haha 1