1918 Bearcat Starter Motor

Jonathan Miller

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about late reply; don't usually follow individual ,makes...

If still looking for starter you may be asking too limited a question...

Electricals almost always acquired from vendors; your starter may've been used on other makes---try posting m'f'r of starter and starter model # from tag on starter...

• 2 months later...

These starters were probably the same through all the 16 valve 4 cylinder cars.   The diecast end piece which mounted the brush holders and the outer bearing would eventually dis-integrate because of lead and or cadmium impurities in the zinc casting.   The one on Bill Greer's car was a mess.  As you remember, Bill was instrumental in starting the Stutz Club, and did the newsletter for years.  I fabricated a small batch and machined them out of steel, for my engine, for John Ryder, Fred Edwards, and one for Bill,  which I sent him by FEDEX.   I am not sure if In have any extra, but I possibly have basic drawings.   There is a lot of "knife and fork" work to make one of these.     They used the same rubbish alloy to make the cam follower bodies;  and when those lock up you cannot turn the engine over.

I did find that I made an extra one of those starter motor brush holder sections that carry the outer end of the armature shaft in a decent bearing race.  You will have to post definitive photos, and dimensions to confirm the fit.   I have those same model numbers from one of my trade source books.  The important bit is that there is very little change in the crankcase between the first 4 valve per cylinder T-head of 1918, and the last engines with the detacheable cylinder head.   One of my engines is a " K",  which, contradictory to what is in the Club's big book has a detacheable head instead of a fixed head engine.   The difference in that crankcase relates to a different generator,  which is still on the left side of the engine.   I do not have photos of the very late detacheable head engine of the Bearcat which Bill Greer used to own;  which, if I recall correctly, Bill said was built with left hand driving position.   (They must have designed a very different arrangement to have the change lever and handbrake in the middle).  That may have been considered a 1924 car......