Sign in to follow this  
Hudsy Wudsy

1929 Olds R/S Roadster $4,000 C/L MN

On 11/26/2017 at 11:05 PM, brasscarguy said:

The wood replacement is not all that expensive. I had "The Craftsman" in San Diego replace all the wood in my 1931 Hudson boat tail roadster a few years back $3500.00 and he provided the materials. I got it back with both doors hung and fitted, the rumble seat lid finished and fitted. 

I had him rewood a 1912 Overland roadster $2000.00. When I got it back it was like I ordered a new body from the factory, the doors fit and it mounted on the frame perfectly. I think his "new model t bodies start at 3 grand. Wood work is not all that big of a deal.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

I wish I could find a wood expert in the New York-New Jersey area at those low prices. I would put him to work for a year. That seems too good to be true. I have a few old woodie wagons that need wood replacement. As for this Oldsmobile roadster, at that price, the car was a gift. The listing has already been deleted. Just the type of car that I like and Oldsmobile is my favorite car of them all. I still have that issue of Cars And Parts with Steve's Orange roadster. Don't even tempt me Steve or I'll send a truck to come get it. I know how much you like Oldsmobiles. You should come here, I am jammed up with Oldsmobiles. If I didn't have so much stuff to sell already....

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

sligermachine I am completely rebuilding the wood in a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria . I make the new piece from either tracing the original or starting from scratch and designing my own piece . I trace the new pieces on craft wrapping paper 3 ft X 6 ft and then go to a Blue Printing shop who copies them for $5 a piece . I then mail them from Toronto to a fellow Royale owner in Flint . I do not have to spend time making and storing the wood product . Just a thought . By the way I would never do a wood car again just too much work and the time factor . I can see why they went to wrecking yards when they were damaged or the newer cars came out .

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, Mark Gregory said:

sligermachine I am completely rebuilding the wood in a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria . I make the new piece from either tracing the original or starting from scratch and designing my own piece . I trace the new pieces on craft wrapping paper 3 ft X 6 ft and then go to a Blue Printing shop who copies them for $5 a piece . I then mail them from Toronto to a fellow Royale owner in Flint . I do not have to spend time making and storing the wood product . Just a thought . By the way I would never do a wood car again just too much work . I can see why they went to wrecking yards when they were damaged or the newer cars came out .

There is a fellow in Cobourg about one hour from you that does very  nice wood work.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

The wood work itself is not that hard though many try and convince you otherwise or that you have to have extra special talents. I learned to work with wood in my high school industrial arts classes. Yes, I did take advanced classes but they were also split between wood and metal shop. Those same classes are where I learned to run lathes and Bridgeport machines which I now also own and use in my current shop to restore these cars. I do have some better equipment than most but that equipment helps me save time more than anything else. The real difficult part about doing wood cars is getting the metal skins off and on but that only becomes an issue in the later year closed cars. Open and earlier cars (30 and before) are not as difficult as most closed cars from those years have the metal split at the belt line and covered with a molding. Getting the metal just right on the new wood just takes patience and time, sometimes requiring you to put the metal on and off numerous times for fitting. Thing is the people telling others that the wood work is difficult are those who really don’t do much of their own restoration or might be good at bolt on stuff or even paint but not good at being able to create things by hand. Wood working is a “by hand” creative art and some who can’t do it, label it hard or steer others away from what they can’t do themselves. Before I get all kinds of negative comments, I’m not picking on anyone, just stating some are better than others at certain things and that doesn’t necessarily mean what they’re good at is really that hard to do. It’s just hard for some.

• Like 1

One of the most daunting aspects of wood work is that there is sometimes almost nothing left of the original wood. As long as there is enough left to serve as a reasonable guide for the new parts I agree that it is mainly a question of careful,  methodical work.

Greg

One should probably be realistic about the time and cost involved. At a minimum most people would need to buy a bunch of tools. I already had them. Then there is figuring out how to build the wood framing with no patterns. My late father was a master woodworker, and there was always a lot of reading material laying around when I was growing up. I have a very good idea what grain direction will provide strength, and how thermal expansion varies with grain direction, how to arrange boards to cancel changes in curvature due to humidity, the difference between quartersawn and flatsawn boards, the uselessness of end grain as a gluing surface, etc. etc. It seems so me all this would be a steep expensive learning curve for just one car, if you were someone who was never exposed to woodworking.

For what it's worth, the ad for the Olds has been deleted. I'd like to think that someone here bought it to restore it, but that probably isn't likely. I'm sure that in another year or two it will have had any bad wood replaced by one inch square tubing and will sport a new frame with a new crate engine.

• Like 1

Maybe or maybe not. Imagine that you own a body shop with several employees. There are times of the year when you have more than enough work to keep a crew busy, but there are slow times, also. If you have to  pay your employees anyway, you may as well have a few projects around to help offset the salary outlay and satisfy your itch to create street rods.