How do I clean gas pickup tube 1958 Rambler

Pete Phillips

Working on my 1958 Ambassador 4-;dr. hardtop station wagon. It has been sitting since the 1980s. I removed the gas tank and cleaned it with a high-pressure wand at the car wash, and it is not bad, but the pickup tube is plugged up. This tube is separate from the sending unit and I don't know how to remove it. I have tried pushing a stiff wire into it but it stops after 15-18 inches when the tube is near the bottom of the tank. I have tried compressed air. I have tried pouring lacquer thinner into the tube and letting it stand up and soak overnight. Nothing seems to help. The wire will go no further and the tube does not seem to be removable from the tank. I need some more ideas, please. Many thanks for any advice.

An older man here in town was recently killed when he was welding on his pickup truck's diesel tank, so I am a bit skittish about any use of torches or welding or heat.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

Section of speedometer cable core checked into a drill.

CAUTION, the drill has sparks, the steel cable's many strands scratching the steel tube makes sparks. Probability of explosion HIGH.

I would clean out the gas tank first to remove the fumes, THEN proceed to opening the tube.

DO NOT use vacuum cleaner to suck fumes out of tank!

Funny looking pink Buick!:D

Local radiator shop? All the ones around here are closed. Local shop is now 60 miles away.:o

I did use radiator shops for this task years ago. Worked great!