1st generation rear 1/4 window molding gasket

RivNut

I got a call earlier today in which I was asked what, if anything, is used as a gasket between the rear 1/4 window and the glass.  My (disassembled) 64 has the rear 1/4 glass in place but the molding has been removed and is boxed up somewhere; I'm helpless as far as being able to look at what I have and answering the question.   I'm thinking it's probably some butyl tape attached to the glass a and wedged into the molding.  He went to a glass shop and the tech there just wanted to glue the glass to the molding.  Can anyone here give me a definitive answer?

Thanks, Ed

Originally, GM used a rubber strip wrapped around the glass and the stainless trim was forced on over the rubber

for a press fit. On my cars I always glue them on with black 3M weatherstrip cement. It is much easier than trying to force

them over the rubber without damaging the metal strip and it looks great and holds great. Ed, I see you have relapsed....... instead of going cold turkey, you are cutting down on your posts a little. Just like cutting back on beer consumption, I predict this will end in utter failure, but

everyone on the forum will be the better off because you are still around!

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

That's a consideration that has been discussed. But there's a concern about alignment side to side and forward.  He wants to ensure that the rear quarter window will align and seal against the door glass. That's why I'm asking for a definitive answer as to what Fisher Body did originally.

I was thinking about this. I don't think he'll have to worry about misalignment much. The farthest the door glass will go forward is determined by the vent window, which in turn is determined by the weatherstripping between the vent and windshield frame. The quarter window rearward location is determined by the weatherstripping at the sailpanel. So I think the piece on the quarter window is actually a stopgap to bridge those two adjustments. I think that's why it overlaps so much. I think it's almost 2".

I think you can set their inward tilt by the surrounding top weatherstripping. I recent got mine installed (finally!), and noticed that it's got about 3/4" in-out adjustment. I set mine a screwdriver's width from the pinch weld, to keep it even. I'm continually impressed by this car's engineering.

Hi Ed,

when I re-installed the moulding to the glass, used a section of rubber designed for the purpose. It was possibly what they call "un-cured rubber" and it was about 1.0mm thick ( I can measure it) by about 50mm wide.

Shop gave me several thicknesses and one was right. The moulding taps on with a hammer and block of wood for protection along with some liquid soap. When all dry and left for a while it locks it altogether. The excess is then trimmed away with a very sharp knife.

When in the parts industry the same rubber was used for securing the glass into the window lift channels.

just my two bobs worth.

Rodney

• Like 1