1964 Starfire Grille - Paint detail

Bee-Oh-Pee

I'm touching up my grill while giving the whole front-end a face-lift. Is there a definitive answer to the way the black paint was applied to specific parts and areas of the grille? To my knowledge, mine is original; but it really looks like somebody just hit specific areas with a spray can. 

Also, anybody have any suggestions for a red paint to use to restore the big red star in the grille?

Many thanks,

John

DCP_5002.JPG

DCP_5003.JPG

The red was actually called Oldsmobile Purple, though it looks a lot more red to me. Find a light transparent metallic red automotive touchup spray bomb and mask as needed. Spray several light coats till you get the depth of color you need. I recommend 3M masking tape as it tends to come loose clean. Clean the chrome with alcohol and 0000 brass wool, then wipe it down with Pre-Kleano solvent or similar before masking and shooting the color.

As these things came down the trim line, factory used a brass paint mask to cover areas that weren't to get color. Black, silver and red- a pretty complicated mask job.

Thanks for the great info, guys. 

Maybe my black was shot by a previous owner, 'cause there's no trace of any kind of mask being used. The circular paint pattern can be easily seen. But if you look at the grille directly from the front, you can't see the overspray; that's why I was thinking the factory just whacked it on there.

If anybody else out there knows a specific "light transparent metallic red automotive touchup spray bomb," I'd be all ears. I'm awful with colors.