1931 LaSalle

Guest Gregg Cashen

Guest Gregg Cashen

I have a 1931 V8 LaSalle that the engine was recently re-built.  Since putting it back together my mechanic has been unable to start it.  After upgrading the battery and the distributor the current theory is the starter and 

/or the carburetor are the culprits.  Does anyone know of a shop that specializes in re-building starters?  Even better if they are in N. Texas but we could ship it elsewher.  Secondly we are looking for people that have upgraded 1930's Cadillac or LaSalle  carburetor with a new brass ring and needle?  Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Edited by Gregg Cashen
Mispelling (see edit history)

I can't help it...I think you mis-spelled....  Unless you have a serious custom car, your car is a V-8.  I am certainly envious as I have two 1930 LaSalle's that I would sure like to be messing with starting the rebuilt engine rather than starting the restorations!

Al

I have used Glenn Cheaney as noted above to rebuild starters and generators for my Packards, V12 and V16 Cadillac. He does an outstanding job!

I see you upgraded the distributor. the originals had dual points I think, and if not synchronized, definitely will not start. Does it not turn over at all?

Below is his contact info

John Charles (Owner)
Glenn Cheaney 
(Master Rebuilder Since 1955)

http://acewichita.com/index.html

gcheaney@aol.com 

good Luck!

Robert

You need to get back to basics. That means compression, spark, and gas. If an engine has enough compression, a good spark happening at the right time, and the right mix of gas and air it will run, it has no choice.

I will take it the compression is good as the engine was rebuilt. You should know by the way it turns over. Sometimes they need a spoonful of oil down each spark plug hole to make the rings seal.

Are you getting a good spark? Is the timing correct? Are all the plug wires in the right order? One point sometimes overlooked, it is possible to have your timing perfect but 180 degrees out. This means the spark is firing on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. It is not hard to check this, turn the engine over with the plugs out till you get a woosh of air out the #1 plug hole, that means it is coming up on compression. Line up the timing mark, is the rotor pointing to #1 plug wire? If so you are ok.

I won't go into carb adjusting and rebuilding at this point. Because if all the above is good the engine should fire and try to run, even if the carb is not working, if you pour an egg cup full of fuel down the intake. If it fires and runs a few seconds that narrows it down to the carb. Which may just need to fill with gas, or may need remedial attention.

• Like 1

Greg, if the car won’t fire at all, I think I may know what is wrong with it. Rusty is correct, you need to start at the basics. But there is a little known problem with these engines, that can cause a no start condition. And it isn’t readily appearent. There were several listings for incorrect spark plugs published over the years, and several cross over numbers are not correct either. Thus, you can have incorrect plugs that don’t reach into the combustion chamber correctly, and it will cause a total no start condition. You can have fuel, compression, and spark, and with the wrong plugs, the engine won’t even sputter. Post a few photos of you currently installed plugs, and also, take a look at the old ones for comparison. It’s likely that if your timing and and carburetor are in the ball park, and your not running it’s related to the plugs. Don’t ask me how I know...................Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2017 at 2:09 PM, Gregg Cashen said:

I have a 1931 V8 LaSalle that the engine was recently re-built.  Since putting it back together my mechanic has been unable to start it.  After upgrading the battery and the distributor the current theory is the starter and 

/or the carburetor are the culprits.  Does anyone know of a shop that specializes in re-building starters?  Even better if they are in N. Texas but we could ship it elsewher.  Secondly we are looking for people that have upgraded 1930's Cadillac or LaSalle  carburetor with a new brass ring and needle?  Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

What upgrades have you done to the electrical system?

Guest Gregg Cashen

No upgrades to the electrical system were made, except we replaced the battery.  To Ed's point above we have the same spark plugs that ran the car before the re-build.