1936 Dictator Coupe 3A Thermostat needed

I am looking for a thermostat/ 187682 for my 1936 Dictator.  I know that it goes into the radiator hose between the radiator and the water outlet.  Does anyone know where I can find one or how I can adapt another stat in its place?  I would appreciate any and all help.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis Charest (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Dennis.  I'm not sure how to reply to the message you sent me, so I'll reply here on the open forum.  I never did find a correct thermostat for the '37 President I owned.  I found a tubular thermostat of the correct diameter and held it in place in the upper hose with exterior hose clamps.  I have since sold that car and did not even see a correct thermostat until after I had sold it.

I have, however, since purchased a '35 Commander and the attached photo should show what you are looking for.  The'35 has a different part number than the '36 Dictator and President and the '37 President, but I think the style is the same.

It is marked "Dole Valve Co, Chicago" , so that might help in your search.Good luck.  Jerry Kurtz told me that in all his years of prowling swap meets, that he has only seen one of these (and Jerry knows what he's looking for!)

If you look on e-Bay and type in "Dole thermostat", some of them will be the tubular type that as long as they are the right diameter to fit in your upper hose, should work just fine.  I'm not sure how concerned you are with correct appearance, but only a very few would know the difference anyway

Tom Lewis

image.jpeg

Dennis. Mine was in the hose to manifold connector. I could not find one at the proper temp but use a 160 degree and the car runs fine. Mine is far from a show car - being an 80 year old car (made Aug 27, 1937) and the fact I’m 72 I’m driving it as often as I can. I’m sure it is going to out last me. I took pics of engine and books that might help you.  

0BF8BDB1-FA23-438A-A4D2-3F6FD45EDBDD.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Thanks everyone. Today I ordered one from 'Restoration Supply Company'. It is a 160* and it goes in the upper radiator hose. I don't know how to attach the picture that I took of my book.  But it shows it in the hose held in place with a hose clamp.  As soon as I learn how to get picture from my phone to the computer I will post a picture of my restoration of the 36 Dictator Coupe.  I can't wait to drive it as I never have.  Again thanks, Dennis

18 hours ago, Dennis Charest said:

As soon as I learn how to get picture from my phone to the computer

If you are using Android and Windows, there is a program (or "app" in today's parlance) called MyPhoneExplorer. I use it to sync contacts and calendar with Thunderbird and download photographs. It works over wifi, bluetooth and usb connections. Nice simple piece of software. It is installed on the computer and on the phone. I set up a directory ("folder") on the computer and told MyPhoneExplorer to sync photos with that directory. PM me if you want more information or help.

So the conclusion is that 1936 and earlier , the thermostat was in the upper radiator hose and i 1937 they moved the thermostat between the water outlet and the cylinder head.

Dennis let us know how your new thermostat fits in the radiator hose.

Robert Kapteyn

Hi Bob. Yes, correct for the Dictator, but not for the President.  The parts manual shows that in '38 the President water pump moved to the front of the engine as opposed to being driven from the back of the generator and the thermostat part numbers became the same for Dictators and Presidents, which tells me that both were now located in between the cylinder head and the water outlet.

Tom Lewis

image.jpeg

image.jpeg