Cadillac Motor Robe

Guest VictoriaB

Guest VictoriaB

Attached is an original condition motor robe. Is anyone able to provide more information on the time period and value of this? Where would I take this to get it valued? Should I get it cleaned?  

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

Hello, I am very familiar with what you have, and can identify what year, etc. I will send you a PM. Please respond through that area as to keep my phone number private. Thanks, Ed 

I had a nice call with Vickey. It’s a family piece, properly identified and placed in a historical context. She plans on keeping it as a family heirloom as it belonged to her Great, Great Grandfather. All my best. Ed

From what I know, that blanket would date to the late 1920's or during the 1930's.  Earlier blankets wouldn't have the faux fur as this one has. Very early, woven, car blankets are very heavy wool, unlike this one.

Very nice piece, and great that it has family history and is staying within family...

Ed, what is the big secret?

I don't care about the value, but I would like a little history lesson. I have only seen one of these, and that was about 30 years ago. It did not have an ID tag, and was in a badly worn condition. Send me a message if you would. Thanks 

• Like 1

I had a Cadillac lap robe in excellent condition given to me in the late 1970s for my 1939 Cad 75 by a colleague who had saved it from his late father's 1932 V-16.  The robe went with the 1939 seven years ago to its new owner, my good friend and neighbor at whose home we had Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon.  I'll have to tell him what a deal he got!

I have an identical Pierce-Arrow lap robe which came with my 1925 sedan in 1994, although it's for a newer Pierce.  The two robes were identical except for the label, which is of the same design.  so I *suspect* that several luxury car companies used the same supplier who stocked labels for each contracting make.

Ed, I too would like to be educated on the provenance of thee lap robes.