Sign in to follow this  
jframe

RALLY WHEELS

I had one wheel on my 65 with a 2 inch center hole and three others with 2 1/8 sized holes. I pulled off the 2 inch wheel and put on a code 853 wheel that has the 2 1/8 inch hole. I assumed the wheel I removed may have been an original 65 wheel, since the hub didn't stick past the rim, and it had the 2 inch hole. To my surprise it was ALSO marked with an 853 code. What gives, or is it just a production variation and using up spare parts? I was just wanting all my wheels to have the same sized center hole since I plan on ordering new caps soon.

If your otherwise happy with your wheels and you order caps (with clips) from MItch Romanoski from his website www.buickcenters.com you can specify that you want three covers with the clips for the 2" holes and one cover with a clip for the 2-1/8" hole or vice versa.  I don't know from whom you planned on ordering your caps, but chances are they were made by Rich and are being distributed by whomever.

I have some 66 - 70 center caps that I modified to install a set of Code #895 wheels on my '94 Roadmaster Estate wagon.  They have the smaller 2" diameter center hole.  I orders a set of clips from Rich and swapped them into the cones. At the same time, I put new emblems over the older 66-70 emblems which were cracked and the paint was peeling from the back.  Pretty easy to do. I'll post a picture later.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's a picture of my 895 (1971 - 78) wheels with caps from an 802/853 (1966 - 1970) wheel mounted on my '94 Roadmaster Estate wagon..  The emblem is something I got off eBay that is self adhesive. I mounted them on the old emblems.  Basically what I'm trying to say is that you can assemble anything with the right parts - caps from one era using the needed new clips from Mitch Romanoski to fit your wheels even if they're sort of mismatched. 😊  

20171116_173648.thumb.jpg.6aa312085e7c0d744a4558529640ee43.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, I plan on using Mitch to get the caps, now that I have four wheels on the car with 2 1/8 holes. My thing was, the Rally wheel chart I pulled off the V8Buick website shows an 853 wheel having 2 1/8 holes, but the 853 that I removed had a 2 inch center. Same code number, but 2 different center hole sizes.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, jframe said:

Yep, I plan on using Mitch to get the caps, now that I have four wheels on the car with 2 1/8 holes. My thing was, the Rally wheel chart I pulled off the V8Buick website shows an 853 wheel having 2 1/8 holes, but the 853 that I removed had a 2 inch center. Same code number, but 2 different center hole sizes.

Tom has discussed this before. Apparently the rim codes do not always match up with the centers we expect to go with them, so we have to take our own measurements to be sure what we have.

• Like 3