Help with V-12 Water pump brass baffles

Guest Flying8

Guest Flying8

Hello, Does anyone have any clear photos showing the correct installation position of the brass baffles around/behind the water pumps on '41 and later Lincoln V-12s? The illustration that comes with the instructions for the replacement baffles is just about useless.

Cup it in your hand, round like the opening for the pump......the skinny tail curve wraps around the closest cylinder, in the block forming a 

surround , around the pump impellor held in place by the spring tension of the baffle, and the "tail" which fits between the cylinders...

sorry ,no  pic...It is an effort to send water further back away from ft cylinder

post-39370-143142439959.jpg

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Guest Flying8

Thanks, I think the rectangular wide front part ends up on the bottom side of the block/ pump? And the thinner section covers the side and some of the top? With the skinny tail towards the back.  Hope this is correct.

Guest Flying8

They didn't fit well with the wide rectangular front part on top, but with it on the bottom, they kind of snap right in and don't move around much.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I didn’t put them in my engine. I’ve ran V12 with them and without, couldn't notice any difference either way.  I am running high volume water pumps and they push plenty of water to the rear of the block.  My stock 2 7/8” bore V12 has been bored to 2 15/16 + .020. No heat problems driving on these 95 plus degree days.  Not even in town driving.  

• 2 weeks later...

in the directions I received from Skip Haney after he rebuilt my water pumps he specifically stated to not use the baffles with the new higher flow impellers that come with his rebuilds.  So something to consider. 

I also removed the baffles after installing Skip's pumps. No problems , it runs cool all the time. But I no longer do 4th of July

parades   (90 degrees at 4 MPH  is not wise). I also do not have thermostats.  

(by "cool" it is still at 1/2 on the temp gauge).

I must confess that my new block is a 1942  bored .60 over  (almost could take V8 pistons).

Edited by 1941 (see edit history)