New platform for buying&selling classic car parts - need your opinion!

Guest Geconarni

Guest Geconarni

Hello!

I’m writing to ask for your advise and feedback.

I’m fascinated by the world of classic cars and restoration, but I always struggled with the way how classic cars parts are sold in the Internet. It seems very unorganized and chaotic - so many seller's sites, ebay surfing, a lot of researching, messaging and so on.

So I assembled a team of developers, and we’re currently working on the marketplace, which will make the process of buying and selling parts for classic cars intuitive and easy worldwide. It’s based on subscribtion mechanics. Let me describe our vision.

Sellers. Each seller can subscribe to any car from our catalog (which is going to be as complete as possible). He can subscribe to ether a single generation (e.g. BMW E34), or whole model (e.g. all generations of BMW 5 series), or whole maker/brand (e.g. All models and all generations of BMW). After he’s done that, he receives all requests for parts only for cars from his subscribtion list.

Buyers. Each buyer on our platform has his own garage, where he can put his cars. For each car he can put in all the details about it’s specifications, condition etc. When he needs a part for his car, he forms a request. This request is linked to his particular car, and it’s sent to every seller, who is subscribed to this maker/model/generation. When responses from dellers start to come in, buyer sees them all in one place. He can message each responder, compare offers based on condition of the part in question, shipping details etc.

What do you think?

Being fascinated by a hobby and understanding it are two different things. Frankly it won't work for vehicles where most parts are not "off the shelf" as they would be in your example of the BMW 5 series. Personally on newer vehicles Google provides a priced data base in a couple of clicks. Fast and efficient.

I will let others explain why ... I hope that team of developers isn't eating away at your retirement fund... I've been involved in the antique car hobby since 1961 so have more than a little time spent in the pursuit of parts, many people on here have been involved far longer  .. it's complicated.

Edited by vermontboy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'll add a few thoughts.

First, eBay has a very powerful search engine. I have written very targeted search scripts. Unfortunately, eBay also teaches sellers how to add search terms to ads (ie, "fits: Oldsmobile") even when not appropriate, so the signal-to-noise ratio still sucks.

Second, many sellers have no clue as to what their items actually are or have misspellings, so a tightly targeted search can miss these. Frankly, uninformed sellers usually give you the best deal.

Finally, for many of us, the thrill of the search for parts is a big part of our enjoyment of the hobby. This is why we scan row after row of rusty, greasy junk at swap meets. Often you find something you didn't even know you needed.

• Like 2

OTOH, I wish there was a database that would have told me that mustang air cleaner part would have fit the ‘79 Lincoln engine that I was looking for. I wound up looking through a whole lot of images on Google and was lucky that what “looked” right was right. Not sure how you’d monetize that, even if you built it, though. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

OTOH, I wish there was a database that would have told me that mustang air cleaner part would have fit the ‘79 Lincoln engine that I was looking for. I wound up looking through a whole lot of images on Google and was lucky that what “looked” right was right. Not sure how you’d monetize that, even if you built it, though. 

Well there is a old car challenge! Digitization hasn't really taken root in our club or hobby very well and "might" be able to be monetized in various ways. This forum is nearly as cutting edge as we get. Such knowledge is still in books. I never looked for such a late model car, but I have several interchange books for cars from the 30s through 60s. I know there are many others, these were just the ones I happened to need at the time. A quick search shows Hollander has a complete version from 1965-1979... $156, but frankly books like this are worth it if you're hunting parts and not super familiar with what's out there.

• Like 1

@Frantz, the lack of digitization is very hard for me. I was, after all, a computer teacher and IT administrator. 

I imagine there is, and will continue to be, a lot of people like myself who inherit cars we know nothing about. That plus the way the next generation of hobbyists are raised, means it really does need to be done. At least if there are books, it makes it a whole lot easier to create the database. Someone needs to figure that out.  Maybe not all the old timers will use it, I can see the allure of the hunt for them, but there will be an increasing demand for it over time, I am sure. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Geconarni, Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Please explain to me a bit more about how you envision this working for the American Antique Car hobby. With your Russian Federation IP address and your BMW example, I am sort of thinking that your post might better be classified as spam here.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

OTOH, I wish there was a database that would have told me that mustang air cleaner part would have fit the ‘79 Lincoln engine that I was looking for.

That's called Hollander's Interchange Manual.

The main problem with all of these attempts to bypass ebay is that they presume specialized knowledge on the part of the seller. While it would be nice if all sellers had such knowledge, that is completely unrealistic. Maybe it could be accomplished with post war cars... the newer the better. For pre-war cars and especially brass cars, it is impossible. I am no fan of ebay but 99% if the items I have bought – quite a few now – are misidentified. Virtually all of them have "Model T Ford" in the description despite the fact that I've never bought a part that was appropriate to a Model T.  Ebay depends on the seller to write the description. They (the descriptions) are nearly always stupid.

Also, what do you do with items that are not make specific? The earlier the car, the more likely the item you are looking for was not produced by the car maker... lights, carbs etc are free standing items and even experts often don't know what they may be appropriate to. I'm perfectly willing to look at a site like this but I have very little hope it would be useful.

Edited by JV Puleo
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

According to this the cd is 700

A1511D0A-BBD8-4FDD-8724-9F88781A27F2.png

I don't know why you would want a CD at that price when you can usually buy an original hard copy Hollander Interchange Manual or a reprint of the original on ebay for less than $100. Simply do a search on ebay and then select the appropriate volume for the years of cars that  you are looking for. I have a set that I bought when I had a 1954 Buick, and I recently picked up one to cover the 1937 and 1938 Buicks that I now own. 

• Like 1

It was just the first I found. I didn’t know there were other options. However, like I mentioned, I was trying to find an inexpensive part and the book even is too expensive to justify it. 

I am am sure there are lots of people like me, just trying to get something running to sell that finding one small part for, would make purchasing this book impractical. I also don’t know why parts dealers or the cars manufacturer wouldn’t have it to look it up. Maybe what I was looking for wasn’t even in there, but I called no less than 35-40 places looking for a part that went in the intake and I had to figure it out by looking at thousands of images from a random air intake search. The books just are not practical for the person not keeping the car. 

10 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

VL2 - when I am looking to check for some interchangeabiliy (if that's a real word) I usually go to Rock Auto and bring up the part I'm looking to buy. I then click on the part number in the description and it brings up a pop up window listing all vehicles it will fit. I have even used that function to cross check part numbers across different suppliers and have sometimes found I could get a part from another source if not in stock with rock Auto.

for example, I clicked on the lower radiator hose for a 1929 Cadillac and when I clicked on the part number it popped up a listing of about 30 other cars / models using that same part number. Sometimes makes it a little easier to find something.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, fordrodsteven said:

VL2 - when I am looking to check for some interchangeabiliy (if that's a real word) I usually go to Rock Auto and bring up the part I'm looking to buy. I then click on the part number in the description and it brings up a pop up window listing all vehicles it will fit. I have even used that function to cross check part numbers across different suppliers and have sometimes found I could get a part from another source if not in stock with rock Auto.

I do that too.  Using Rock Auto this year I have been able to stock up on lots of common parts like seals, gaskets, and hoses for half what they cost at local chain stores and in my choice of brands.  I still commonly buy from the local stores too of course, especially for anything requiring a core exchange, but for some reason seals, gaskets and hoses seem to be a big markup there, also brake parts.  Part of the savings have been that Rock Auto says they had a few suppliers and/or warehouses liquidating or selling old stock at a special closeout, might be worth a look, Todd C

• Like 1

VL2's point still stands. These are tips of the trade we've learned to use over the years because we need them to work. Even for someone who does just want to flip an unfinished product, a few might be saved from hot rodding or scrap yards if folks had better obvious access to interchange. I'm blown away when talking with some people with the intimate knowledge they have on this. I'm surprised VL2 had trouble getting the info on forums, though not surprised that phone calls to companies came up blank. I talk to guys who love walking around Hershey and looking for parts. I really couldn't do that too much even on cars I am somewhat familiar with. It takes a lifetime of exposure to get really good at such things, and if you're new to the hobby, your exposure level is likely starting at zero. It's intimidating to walk around Hershey looking for a part if you've never done it before. It's confusing to call companies who specialize in antique cars and get lots of "I don't knows" simply because of the scope of knowledge needed. If you're not asking for that persons specialty or something easy to find, your SOL. Want a crankshaft turning socket for a Y block, you're machining it yourself.... or just welding a spacer and filing a notch on a shorter version (SBC I think, but don't quot me on it). That's not common knowledge, it's accidental knowledge for me based on trial and error and a few emails confirming none exist on the market! The internet is the saving grace for this hobby IMO. We'll gradually improve on the information out there and the ease of access. For now, I just try to remember to keep our regions website up to date.

Goconarni,  it seems to me you've looked only at a very limited segment of the market.  Your new platform serves only the ultimate consumer looking for something specific whereas the parts market is a lot bigger and encompasses wholesale.  I think a bit more "marketing" needs to be looked into rather than just a technical solution.  Your site would be useless to someone like myself who collects early auto accessories - brass lamps,etc.  Remember that a lot of parts are unidentified and there are loads of them out there waiting for a wholesale merchant to buy the lot and then do the ID, sorting, etc.  Trying to make your "solution" vehicle specific would really limit its usefulness I feel.

Terry

I did try Rock Auto and several other sites. They absolutely did not list the parts as interchangeable. There is a thread on the forum somewhere I started. I found a replacement quite by accident and many hours of searching visual images. Took a gamble because the mustang part that looked right wasn’t that expensive. It worked. 

I have been doing this long enough to remember when a person would buy a book/magazine to flip to the parts for sale. And then pay a large phone bill trying to track down a tail light bezel that should be about $15-20 dollars. The internet has been the best thing for restorers/builders/hobby. Being able to text a picture of a part for sale has also put a dent in the old saying "yea, it is in good shape", Or better yet "no, it does not have any rust on it". Lots of ways to search for parts, I would think it would be tough to start up something and get a chunk of the market. Not sure what a persons start up costs would be. Watch out for the intellectual rights, if you go down that road.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

The main problem with all of these attempts to bypass ebay is that they presume specialized knowledge on the part of the seller. While it would be nice if all sellers had such knowledge, that is completely unrealistic. Maybe it could be accomplished with post war cars... the newer the better. For pre-war cars and especially brass cars, it is impossible. I am no fan of ebay but 99% if the items I have bought – quite a few now – are misidentified. Virtually all of them have "Model T Ford" in the description despite the fact that I've never bought a part that was appropriate to a Model T.  Ebay depends on the seller to write the description. They (the descriptions) are nearly always stupid.

Also, what do you do with items that are not make specific? The earlier the car, the more likely the item you are looking for was not produced by the car maker... lights, carbs etc are free standing items and even experts often don't know what they may be appropriate to. I'm perfectly willing to look at a site like this but I have very little hope it would be useful.

it is the shotgun approach. Make a big net and hope someone will buy the part hoping it will fit.  Unrestrained Capitalism.  The more looks, the better the chances.

13 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I did try Rock Auto and several other sites. They absolutely did not list the parts as interchangeable. There is a thread on the forum somewhere I started. I found a replacement quite by accident and many hours of searching visual images. Took a gamble because the mustang part that looked right wasn’t that expensive. It worked. 

RockAuto is not a reliable source of part fitment info.  The errors in their online catalog are legend.  For example, if you search the RA catalog for Oldsmobile motor mounts, nothing shows up.  If you search by part number for Anchor 2261, you find out that RA sells them for about $4 apiece (as compared to Olds specialty vendors who sell the exact same Anchor parts in the same boxes for TEN times that amount). I rarely even use their catalog anymore.  I research part numbers through other sources then search RA by part number.  There are a myriad of sources for this info - factory parts books, service manuals, marque-specific forums, etc. Hollanders is just one resource.  I bought a paper copy covering the years I care about (1964-1974) several decades ago. For GM cars, many of the parts books are available on line at GMPartsWiki.com.

• Like 2

Guest Geconarni

Hello again! I'm so sorry for my absence - my email notification settings are probably messed up!

I'm still reading through your amazing feedback, thank you all for your responces! I'll reply to every post shortly, but now let me adress the most worrying ones.

Yes, I'm indeed from Russia. Finding parts for classic cars is a double challenge here, hence my idea. 

I've check with forum administration beforehand, and permission to ask for your opinion was granted. I hope, now we can continue our conversaton peacefully)

Again, I'm sorry for not replying in timely manner - it was partly due to all the work to finish the prototype for our platform, which I can now show off! Although now I'm worried that could be considered as a spam. So, let me check with the administration again. But it's probably OK for me to send URL in IM, so please contact me, if interested)

Edited by Geconarni (see edit history)

Hi Geconarni, good luck with your project however I suspect you are facing an uphill battle. One of the real challenges these days is the steadily increasing shipping costs. And when dealing with international transactions the shipping may also involve a number of other added costs, brokerage and duty .  These costs frequently exceed the cost of the part and are a real obstacle for many old car fans. Unfortunately most of us are hobbyists with modest spending limitations.  In Europe there is already the excellent PreWarCar site which has in addition to a great deal of vintage car information a pretty decent buy and sell section.  

But please do give it a try, Ebay has become much less important to many of us for all of the reasons listed in other posts above. 

Greg in Canada