Summershandy

Broken Manifold

35 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

We still don't know what engine this fits or if a replacement is readily available as opposed to all this discussion.

Sorry Joe....it's off a '54 Pontiac Star Chief straight 8 engine. Replacements are hard to find. I'm going to attempt getting it repaired locally first. Thanks. Lot of good ideas posted here on repairs and at best keeps me optimistic. 

Guys, I haven't forgotten you. The machine shop is taking their sweet time. I told them this car was a winter project. I popped in today and they tried welding a new ear, drilling and tapping but the ear cracked off again. Plan B was to weld a bolt in place as a stud. That they did. I asked if they got the manifold ports machined. That was the whole idea of bringing it in the first place. Had bad leaks and was visibly uneven. They didn't go ahead and do it because of the amount of meat they would have to take of a couple ports. I told them to go ahead. Worse case scenario would be 1/8" of material taken off and I see nothing to cause the manifold not to fit. Carb sits on top and exhaust hangs below. The repair ain't pretty but it's also hard to see anyway.  This may take awhile......

There is a guy here in Newfoundland who took a straight eight out of his 54 Pontiac last summer to install a 350 Chev. If you are interested I could give him a call and see if he still has it.

My manifold is back from the shop. They thought old cast was the easiest to weld but when they filled it, drilled it and tapped it snapped again. So this was plan B. Lesson learned...when you snap a 63 year old exhaust bolt, instead of trying to ez it out and possibly breaking the flange, just drill it out and either re-tap or just use bolts. A very expensive lesson! 

IMG_6800.JPG

IMG_6798.JPG

When I was in the muffler business years ago I could take a broken off stud like that, blow it out with a torch and never touch the threads. Working under the car with the manifold in place. There is a knack to it, but not as hard as you might think because the steel melts before the cast iron. I mention this so you other cowboys will know, if this happens take it to a muffler shop.

The bolt is a good idea because it can be knocked out without harming the manifold. Chryslers came this way from the factory. Break off the bolts, put new ones in when you replace the exhaust.

Brass nuts won't seize and if they do, can be blow off the stud with a torch easily. Then you run a die over the threads and it's good as new.

Glad to see you got this sorted, and pretty neatly too. My first thought - the casting behind the bolt ears looks round - make a flange out of steel plate (1/4 - 3/8") -  cut a hole that will allow the flange to fit over the cast flange, just, and then rotate it 90 degrees. Downside, if it worked, would be the bolts would be 90 degrees off the original, and wouldnt look that good. Could be tested with a plywood dummy first quite quickly.

jp 26 Rover 9