Need gas tank build

stakeside

• 7 months later...

Any good metal fabrication shop with a sheet metal brake and a TIG welder can fabricate that tank for you. It's a simple rectangle with a filler neck. Once you get it, use tank sealer and paint the exterior.

As I suggested in my original post #2, Tanks Inc., has a Universal tank that is 30"x16"x8", pretty darn close. You might need to relocate the filler neck, but they might be willing to do that for you. Even if they don't do custom work, you should be able to find someone that can change the filler.

• Like 1

I used to be a sheet metal worker in local #24 out of Dayton, Ohio. When the tank on my 1923 Hupmobile starting filling my fuel system with rust flakes AGAIN last year (after several professional attempts to fix it), I was griping to a friend that I could have made that tank out of stainless steel myself, back when I was bending tin for a living. He reminded me of a mutual friend on our pool team who still was a sheet metal worker. 

The guy (Steve) agreed to build me a new tank, using stainless steel. Another friend assured me it could be painted, using special materials (my tank is exposed to plain view). I gave Steve my old tank, and he went to work fabricating and welding up the new tank body for me. Then, an old drag racer-pal of mine used his machining skills to make a perfect replica filler neck, fuel line fitting-boss, and gas gauge neck. Paul Frost also cut apart my old, broken diecast metal gas gauge assembly, and machined new parts out of brass to make it work. (That's Paul, in the photo below). Then it was painted, and it looks beautiful today. 

I can FINALLY say that I really am done with rust particles in the fuel bowl of my Hupmobile carburetor. 

20151112_132310.jpg

20151112_132323.jpg

20151112_132359.jpg

20160819_140024.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 10:14 AM, 46 woodie said:

Check out a company called Tanks Inc. and log onto the universal section, they might have a tank that will fit.

Universal Tanks had a good match to mine. Had to lengthen hold down straps 9/16” and lower mounting bracket 3/4”.

6B3B1582-6186-4004-A33E-E33714C02AB6.thumb.jpeg.598eef45a21ef38c3f29defa9bb9fd08.jpeg

• Like 1

I see tin knocker shops recommended often. Then I walk out into my garage and look at the plenum on my furnace. In 1988 I was service manager for an HVAC company and scarfed up a good take out furnace for my garage. I asked the tin shop to make a central distribution plenum for it.

It is made out of 28 gauge, they did not cross break the sides , and one base dimension is 1/4" too long, the other 1/4" too short. I asked "Don't you understand you make stuff perfect for the Boss?" Just be careful in those tin shops.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

21 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I see tin knocker shops recommended often. Then I walk out into my garage and look at the plenum on my furnace. In 1988 I was service manager for an HVAC company and scarfed up a good take out furnace for my garage. I asked the tin shop to make a central distribution plenum for it.

It is made out of 28 gauge, they did not cross break the sides , and one base dimension is 1/4" too long, the other 1/4" too short. I asked "Don't you understand you make stuff perfect for the Boss?" Just be careful in those tin shops.

Bernie

I was a sheet metal worker in local 224 in Dayton, Ohio years ago, and before that a young automotive mechanic. I found that there were good, highly skilled and conscientious craftsman in both trades...and others who were not so much. But there ARE tin knockers who can do a great job for you. That stainless steel tank I showed in photos above was built by two different talented and skilled craftsmen. It is virtually identical in appearance to the original tank, and is AT LEAST equal in quality (better, actually, since it is made from 18 gauge stainless steel).

Bernie is right; you must be careful whom you choose to fabricate a new tank for you. Morevoer, if it's done correctly, it won't be cheap.  I believe it's always wise to check into companies like Tanks, Inc, to see if they have anything already existing which might work in your application.