Large Flywheel ring gear supplier needed.

mikewest

I spoke with Al today and he is going to look but didn't think he had what I needed. The OD of my flywheel is 19 inches. He recommended a .025 interference fit for this size ring gear. If anyone else knows of other supplier's Im all ears. Thank you, Mike   

Mike.   Two other options to consider.  If your flywheel is exposed and flat, you could run a flat belt around the OD to a tractor starter/generator unit and get both starting and generating in one application.  This I have seen done often on two cyl cars but also successfully on a 50hp brass four. Second option is to mount a free standing ring on some standoffs.   Perhaps this could be done in a way to step down to a smaller OD ring depending on your clutch configuration.  We have done this on brass Renault where there are fan blades around the OD to draw air thru the radiator.     Just some alternate thoughts to get the job done.  

1 hour ago, Bob McAnlis said:

Mike.   Two other options to consider.  If your flywheel is exposed and flat, you could run a flat belt around the OD to a tractor starter/generator unit and get both starting and generating in one application.  This I have seen done often on two cyl cars but also successfully on a 50hp brass four. Second option is to mount a free standing ring on some standoffs.   Perhaps this could be done in a way to step down to a smaller OD ring depending on your clutch configuration.  We have done this on brass Renault where there are fan blades around the OD to draw air thru the radiator.     Just some alternate thoughts to get the job done.  

Bob, I looked for over a hour yesterday and found a ring gear for a Cummins motor that is 1/2 inch smaller than the OD of the flywheel and 3/4  inch proud of the flywheel OD. It should work out - I was told .025 interference is acceptable for mounting the gear. Next I need to research what a 6/8 pitch starter would be applicable.  I thought about the belt drive over the flywheel but would worry that the motor might leak enough oil that it wouldn't be reliable. Any suggestions on a starter?? 6/8 pitch. Im looking at different models to see which ones would adapt easiest. The motor is 12.8 Liters 6 cyl so It will need a high torque starter. All fun!!!! This is a shot of my motor  before restoration.

thead2.jpg

• Like 1