1915 c-25 chassis serial number

21raceabout

Wondering if the number stamped into the right side of front axle could be the chassis serial number?  It does not match  the part number.   The aluminum tag near the radiator on our car is corroded away so I can't compare to the number on the axle.  Also, if anyone could post a picture and dimensions of the appropriate, intact aluminum tag I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

IMG_2738.JPG

Rick, what you are seeing stamped into the front axle is considered the individual component number.  At this point in Buick production history the engine, transmission, front axle, and the rear axle assembly all had serial numbers assigned

to them.  When this practice was discontinued I do not know.  The late Dave Chambers explained this to me after I had asked about the number on the front axle on my 1916 D-45.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I have a good C25, but it is Canadian so it is a McLaughlin, but in every way identical to the Buicks as near as I can see.  The oval plate has a six digit number riveted to the left front frame rail as noted.  There should be a brass plate nailed to the upper front floor as noted which shows the engine number as well.  On my car the serial number is just 4 digits stamped into brass floor number plate, also that serial number is stamped on the wood of the front seat riser.  If you need photos for size and style please send me a message.   If you need a unique number for registration I would try to use the engine number because it is clearly visible.  Good luck with your job,  Gary

Thanks all for your replies.  I wasn't clear in my original post that I was indeed aware that the frame S/N was stamped into an aluminum oval plate on the left frame rail next to the radiator.  However, my aluminum plate is completely corroded away on our car - just the two rivets and some grey residue under the heads is all that is left of it.   I would appreciate if someone would be willing to post or send me a picture or tracing of what an original plate looked like with some dimensions.  It is not my intent to copy anyone else's serial number, rather I agree with cxgd that it would be appropriate to use the engine S/N to register the car (and stamp into a new aluminum plate) once we get it back on the road.  Thanks again.