65 - riv - carter carb metal baffle conundrum

moran75

Hi All

As i write i think I might have worked out the answer to the first part of my (four part) question! Apologies but i'll start with it anyway....

1)Attached is a pic of the metal carb baffle from my carter AFB 4 BBL...I was going to ask what would account for the rough hole along the bottom edge (if you look closely)? At first it looked like a previous owner had punched it out for some reason but then...

2)I realised that part of the baffle lies over the big U shape groove that goes across the intake manifold   - i believe this kind of heat transfer 'thing'? Now that groove was filled with soot and the holes at each end were blocked . ..so would this result in some kind of heat build up which would damage the baffle?

3 I know this is a common question out on the 'web' but i want to get peoples opinion who are in the know with first gen riv's - when i reinstall the two gaskets i know the cork/paper/flexible gasket goes down first onto the manifold, then the metal baffle goes on top, then on goes the carb. Do i need to apply some gasket sealant anywhere in the sandwich? Or will torquing the bolts be sufficient? When removing everything there was asmall trace of an orange coloured flexible sealant which got me thinking.......

4) and lastly - this is the even more common question out on the web but i'm hoping for a miracle easy answer from you! - removal of the old paper/cork gasket...bits are welded on - is there a solution i can apply to get it off or is it a case of scraping away with a plastic/flexible scraper....as long as its flat who clean does that manifold surface have to be?....

All the very best

Kev (in the UK)

IMG_5025.JPG

If you don't drive the car in cold temperatures and there's no need to heat the fuel so the car doesn't stumble on cold fuel, you can block off the passages to the carb.  Go to www.v8buick.com and read about what kind of plugs to use and where to put them.  If I remember correctly, you'll want to plug the passages between the block and the base of the manifold, not at the top of the manifold.  Keep the gasses out of the manifold.  I've seen intakes where those passages have been eaten through.  

You don't want any kind of sealer on any surface.  A sharped putty knife or razor blade should be able to remove any old material that has built up. If someone has actually done some welding on the carb, I don't know what to tell you.  Hopefully when you use the term "welded" you're just meaning that they're stuck on to the surfaces really tight.   The surfaces on the manifold and the bottom of the carb should be smooth and flat.  Check you chassis manual for torque on the carb bolts (or nuts if someone has installed studs.) Did a previous owner use some sealer to patch some pits in the base of the carb or the manifold? Hope not.  

You're correct in the stacking of the gasket / shield.  

There are many previous discussions about this on the forum.  Go to the search feature and look at what's been posted.  Most of your questions should have been answered already.

Ed