The Passing of Bob Coker

MrEarl

It is with great sadness that I tell of the passing of our beloved friend Bob Coker. I received word from his wife Linda yesterday that he wasn't doing well and I had planned to go see him today. He passed away early this morning, around 2 am. 

I will post the arrangements as I learn them. 

Gods speed, cod. 

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

It is with great sadness that I tell of the passing of our beloved friend Bob Coker. I received word from his wife Linda yesterday that he wasn't doing well and I had planned to go see him today. He passed away early this morning, around 2 am. 

I will post the arrangements as I learn them. 

God speed, cod. 

Oh no!!!  I'm glad you got to visit him a few weeks ago!  I was glad to have met him, and honored to sit and listen to the stories of times past.   He said one time he wished some of his old friends were still alive so he could prove them wrong and show how well he'd done for himself.  I guess he'll get to tell them now.  Rest in Peace Bob!

• Like 1

It has been a few years since I have seen Bob at a BCA National meet, but that is where I first met him and every year after we would meet and talk for a while.

He was a great friend, if I am allowed to call him that, and a true asset to the BCA and automotive collectors.

So sorry to hear we lost another great one.

RIP Bob

• Like 2

Thanks for the good times my friend, you were more like a brother than a friend.

They told him three and a half years ago he would likely not make it til Thanksgiving. Every year that passed he'd always exclaim "Hell they forgot tell me WHICH Thanksgiving"  Sadly it looks like it is this one.  Another favorite "If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself"  and  "I didn't mean to get old, it just crept up on me" 

Bob- Turn left

Me - But the GPS lady said turn right

Bob - &%*$(*# the GPS lady turn left

Bob, 10 miles down the road - Why are you going back where we just came from, you need to listen to the GPS lady.

Below are some rare photos, you had to either catch him off guard or beg this guy to pose for a picture

always that devilish grin...

100_8616.jpg

100_8617.jpg

100_8607.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0794.jpg

100_2821.jpg

100_2738.jpg

100_2896.jpg

Amelia4.jpg

MeandBobAmes.jpg

100_2829.jpg

and you could never take your eye off him.....

100_2830.jpg

PROGOOFOFF, a true BUICKMAN if ever there was one

post-31987-143138595094.jpgpost-31987-143138595109.jpg

• Like 10

Saturdays service was very nice. The American flag draped the coffin, he received the Twenty-one gun salute, taps was played in the distance and the flag was presented to his wife Linda. Combined with the fact it was Veterans day, a very honoring and solemn ceremony. 

I relayed all of y'all's condolences to Linda and let her know to please call if there is anything I or any of the club can do for her.

I finally got to meet his lifelong friend JR, whom I had heard many stories from Bob about their many wild escapades while in the Army. He also accompanied Bob in the Great Race a couple times. That is him on the left. Dennis, the guy in the middle was also a longtime friend and use to accompany Bob to Hershey. And you all know the cod on the right. 

39CFB27E-4037-4EF4-A614-3224E05C8969.jpeg 

I was able to catch a few pictures from the large monitor that was streaming pictures, most I had never seen before. I recall seeing one picture of him in his house once,  taken when he was young and exclaiming to Bob, "Damn Bob, I thought you've just always been old".

373C4158-CFBF-4E09-8167-5AF8E56550B2.jpeg

0E583F04-238D-45DB-A8FC-2E996C797421.jpeg

051EF0ED-2788-4E73-B4A4-B48B05FDC762.jpeg

and here's that devilish smile again V

0DB6E8A8-59AB-436F-BEA6-43A936134FA1.jpeg

6D572C70-ECED-4938-9274-168BD17AE652.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just to finally let you all know where the term that many of you have been called by Bob came from.  Colonel Charles Codman was General George W Pattons senior aide or right hand man during World War II. Somewhere along the line, Bob learned that Pattons nickname for Colonel Codman was "Cod".  Hence if you were ever referred to as "Cod" by Bob, it would have been in the highest regard, as Codman was highly respected by Patton. 

Now you know the rest of the story. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rest in Peace Bob-

your "Landau" is in good hands down here,

... and now I can appreciate your calling me "Cod"

You have been a real asset to BCA and to AACA

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Just to finally let you all know where the term that many of you have been called by Bob came from.  Colonel Charles Codman was General George W Pattons senior aide or right hand man during World War II. Somewhere along the line, Bob learned that Pattons nickname for Colonel Codman was "Cod".  Hence if you were ever referred to as "Cod" by Bob, it would have been in the highest regard, as Codman was highly respected by Patton. 

Now you know the rest of the story. :)

I never met Bob, sounds like he was a great guy. However I had previously thought that "Cod" was short for "codger". Thanks for the clarification...

• Like 1

I met Bob probably 10 years ago when I was first starting to look for a Reatta to buy. I had a tip that he had several (5 at the time), and my grandfather and I happened to be in his area, so we gave him a call. 

Now keep in mind we had never met him and it was a Saturday afternoon in January. Two guys call him out of the blue and ask about Reattas... He immediately invited us to stop by, and gave us the grand tour of his cars, his property etc. We probably spent 4 hours there total.

One of the most kind-hearted and welcoming individual I have ever met. I hope one day I will be like him. He truly was a Progoofoff

Rest in peace, Bob. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Marck you are correct about a kind hearted guy. I remember I had talked to Bob about the Landau to see if I could get the car to Wichita Kansas in January for a 3 day indoor car show. Lamar I think you got to be part of the conversation. Well long story short, Bob wanted to see  if Lamar would be able to make the trip to Kansas  but that did not work out for one reason or another so after several calls Bob said why don't I just come get it.  I gave it a long thought and I was still working at the time and could not get that much time away. 

He was a giant of a man just to offer the car. We both had a good laugh that Bob told me he didn't think he wanted to travel to Kansas in January for love or money. it was just the next week we had a big ice storm so I guess he was right in not wanting to come to Ks. Never did get that done but we did have several nice discussions. 

Bob is a guy that will be missed, He was a true gentleman

RIP Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm behind on expressing condolences on Bob's passing.  Met him at Danvers in 2011when he displayed the 54 Landau.  "Sit down,Dave, and let me tell you about this car".  You'd a thought we'd known each other for years. We've lost a gentleman  and a bit of the color in our hobby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2