Thank a BCA Member

38Buick 80C

We need some positive posts on the Forum. The Buick Club is a great club with great people and this thread will prove that. This past month I've been helped by 4 BCA members and I want to thank them for what they have done for me and I invite you to thank a BCA member who has done you right.

I'll start in chronological order for the past month

1. Lamar Brown - I asked if Lamar would be interested in trailering my 80C to Hershey. Without hesitation he was on board and sacrificed his time and drove significant distance to help me finally have my 80C on the showfield at Hershey

2. Bob Coker - When we found Lamar's trailer was just a hair to small for my 80C he lent Lamar and I truck and trailer to get to Hershey.

3. Brian Laurance - I asked Brian if I could store a to be purchase Buick at his place while I arranged for transportation back east. Without hesitation he agreed and then proceeded to remove his own car from his garage so mine could be inside and give me a tour historic dealership buildings of Tacoma.

4. Paul Haddock - Paul offered up his truck and trailer to me so I could take my 80C to Hilton Head for the Concours.

While I've sent a personal thank you to each of them, I want to publicly thank them as well for their assistance. And while this is just a few great BCA members who've done something in the past month I can think of numerous others I owe a thank you to ( Ben Bruce, Brian Clark, Dave Berquist, Dave Tachney, and John Kilbane are a few that come to mind). Which BCA member has done you right and deserves a thank you???

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Jeez...  it would take me months to list everything... if I leave you off,  please don't be offended.

1) Lamar Brown and his wife Rita, for their hopitality and low pressure atmosphere when I shop Buick Gardens ?

2) Bob Coker, who sold me more parts at a great price than I could shake a stick at. And his stories of days gone by.

3) Greg Johnson, who has come up with some very important parts just in the knick of time.

4) Jon (buickinga), for helping save rust out of Georgia 

5) Marck Barker, for inviting me to be more involved in the local meets

6) Willie Pittman, for always being ready to share his vast knowledge freely

And on this forum, and not a memeber yet ( I'll kick him into it) Mike Rios for helping me wrench on cars almost every weekend.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wilie Pittman. 

I think this thread is a excellent idea and does not have to pertain just to help with our cars. In that vein, I want to thank Willie for advice from his past profession when it was desperately needed and for his kind words when the time was right. I hope I never forget that, and can do the same for others when needed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

All the Reatta Division members for their knowledge, enthusiasm, and suppliers of Reatta parts.

Marck Barker and his grandpop for introducing me to Reatta's and their resulting continued friendship.

Lamar Brown for his never-ending contributions to the Bugle and this forum.

Pete Phillips for his continually excellent publication of the Bugle.

John De Fiore for bringing the BCA Secretary's office into the 21 century.

All the ROA members...they're just like family.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul Girard,

For all of the help and ideas restoring my convertible.

For taking time out of the day to entertain me and take me for a ride in his Buickful convertible.

For selling me his extra door panels and lightly used interior kit for my 48’ convert project.

For the “surprise” visit to my garage one afternoon. (He lives 4.5 hours or so away).  Just to say hi!

Thanks my friend

Matt

• Like 1

I would like to thank Guy Bennett Jr, and actually the whole Bennett clan!

He was one of the people that started me in the hobby over 30 years ago - brought me into AACA and BCA.

They are like a 2nd family to me.

Here we are at Allentown with their wonderful 1908 Model 10.

(He's never met a Buick he didn't like!)

:)

08 and team.jpg

08 10.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

John DeFiore for being a friend to chat with, motivate me when I was stuck in a rut restoring my convertible.  For the nice family outings at Brooks BBQ and for travelling together to the BCA meet in Allentown.

Thanks my friend!

Matt

All these were a two way street my friend.  We should do another Brooks Bbq run before the snow flies. 

I wouldn't even know where to begin.  I think nearly everyone here on the forum that makes discussion contributions should be on the list. 

As for special thanks...

Crin Dima (no longer a member) is the one who pushed me to come to a meeting in 2003.  It was a fateful day :)

Hank Deglman for taking me under his wing and mentoring me, keeping me enthusiastic about Buicks and the club.  If it weren't for him, I may not be doing what I'm doing.

Brian Laurance for showing me that there are others that are just as, or more, fanatical about 71 Centurions.

Ted Becker for his total willingness to allow me to borrow his trailer for the last two years.  I finally own it, now :)

Kristina Richards (director of our chapter) for being the first really enthusiastic director of the chapter in a very long time.

I could do this all night..

• Like 4

This is definitely going to be an incomplete list....

Bruce Andren...in my early forays into this forum, I'd just purchased the '62 Special, which was at least the third Buick. He suggested, based on having a bit of a collection, that I ought to join the BCA and attend Flint in 2003. This has been a big part of my life since. 

Mark Shaw - always ready and willing to spend my wife's hard-earned money on a pre-war Buick. He turned me on to an eBay listing for the 1941 Special, which was perhaps a mile from here and we had never seen it. We really like that car and it didn't get enough exercise. He also "helped" me procure the 1923 Combination Passenger and Express replica, picking it up in California and bringing it to South Bend so we could display a Buick that I owned but hadn't seen in person before. Then he towed it to Rob in Wisconsin who stored it until I could get a trailer and pick it up. 

The Buick Rascal Gang. You know who you are. Enough said.  

Paul and Donna in MN. Their spare room is known as Derek's room since I sleep there more than anyone else. 

Pete - aside from putting together a great publication in the Bugle, he is always very complimentary to our youngest especially for the photos Joseph takes. 

The late Dave Corbin - in Colorado Springs, he was the BCA youth program, taking Joseph around the show field while the rest of us were judging and teaching him about Buicks from all eras. 

Gratitude is important. I'm grateful for all the events we've been able to attend, stuff we've learned, giving us an excuse for family vacations together, and the fun we've had along the way. I'm grateful for the people we've met and friendships we've made along this journey. 

• Like 2

Thanks to Dave Lemke (DAVES89) and Jim Finn (Jim) for supplying me with Reatta parts.  Without them my car wouldn't be on the road today.  Also, a big thank you to all the members of the Reatta forum who have helped me over the years with repairs on my Buick Reatta.

• Like 1

Just three, no four to start (but not to slight others)

John De Fiore, for always willing to listen and share conversation

Larry Di Barry for our work with the PWD and other conversation

Mark Shaw for is work with the PWD

Lamer Brown, for ALL he does, and I especially now, with the loss of Bob, for getting  the Landau to a National Meet

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lamar and Rita for sure, Willie, Russ Martin, and some local guys from SoCal: the Anderson clan, Marty Supple, Larry Minery, Steve Rostam, Fred Rawling, and the late Bruce Andren...  That's just the start.

When I was a kid, Dad would say that you meet the best people in the car hobby.  And ever since then,  I have found it to be so.

• Like 4

What a great idea for a thread!  Off the top I have to thank John De Fiore for all his help, guidance both through the forums and PM's.  Also, Brian Laurance for his insane knowledge of all things Buick and his positive and complimentary comments whenever I see him.  It was Brian and Chris Pollack that pointed me in the direction of my Estate Wagon!   And a general thank you to most active members here, so many who provide comments and responses to so many threads here...  this is literally the best community on the internet in my experience.

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow, folks!  I appreciate all the great comments here, and they've made me regret that the "busy-ness" of life has kept me largely away from the forums during recent years.  I only wish that it were possible for me to get together with all of you on a regular basis, but I'm always thankful to see my Buick friends whenever I have the rare opportunity to attend a Buick National.

I have friends in the BCA with whom I have corresponded for forty years, and many of you are more significant to me than you probably realize.  The fact is that I have enormous respect for many of the members in this club.

A few specific individuals leaped immediately to mind when I saw the topic, taking into account the recent past.

cjp69 (Chris Pollak) and I exchange great Buicks almost daily via e-mail, and it's always a pleasure to see the cool Buick lurking within Chris' next e-mail.  If you're like me, you need some Buick diversions along the way to make it through the day, and Chris is a reliable source of Buick fun.

Mark Shaw keeps me in mind whenever he sees Buicks that are squarely within my scope of interest, and he contacted me recently about some Buick items that he wished to pass along to me.  We enjoyed a great visit when I recently traveled through his area, and it was a pleasure to receive a tour of his remarkable pre-war Buick collection.  

As you know from other posts, 38Buick 80C (Brian DePouli) recently paid me a visit, and it was a great treat to see and store his newly acquired '38 Roadmaster.  But the best part was the time with Brian.  I was grateful that Brian remembered me from a few brief meetings at some of the National Meets and that he was willing to contact me about storing the Buick.  The experience was an excellent reminder of the wonderful connections we enjoy because of Buicks and the BCA.

I'm only scratching the surface here, but I'm pleased that Brian initiated this topic, giving us a chance to remember, again, how valuable the Buick Club of America really is.  

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I'm not trying to stir up anything here, but I'm wondering if there are contributing individuals on this forum who are helpful, but do not belong to the BCA?  

I believe you're describing yourself!

Wow where to I start...

Brian Depouli for helping me get more active in the national club and pushing me to run for BOD in 2013. 

Brian Clark for dropping everything to do a full brake job on my truck when I was stranded (in his front yard) with brake pads that had lost their friction material. 

Jim Morrison and Martel Gibson who roped me into the local chapter at age 16 

Larry and Joyce Schramm who opened up their home and their storage facilities to me when I was buying a lot of Reatta parts out of Flint and making trip after trip to retrieve stuff. 

Tom and Elizabeth Lane for opening their home to me, and their conteniued  friendship through the years. 

Mark Shaw for always sending me the stray Reatta related stuff whenever he comes across them on the forum.

John Young for giving me an open invitation to Cajun Supper Club any time in in Eunice LA on a Tuesday night. And for letting me stay in their guest bedroom. 

Not to mention so many other life long friends in the BCA. This really is a great group of people. 

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Mark Shaw for finding me more parts than I can count and for teaching me how to park at national meets.

Roberta Vasilow and Larry Schramm for lending me their trailers over the years.

My wonderful wife for parking outside more often than she should have to due to a project that overflowed into her garage spot and for navigating 1000's of miles of tours even when the weather or directions were less than perfect.

My late father and all the great times we had touring in the Buick that would have never happened without it.

• Like 4

Thanks to all who mentioned me above.  Just know that I really enjoy having so many "Buick Buddies" who share my passion. 

Thanks to all for keeping this hobby alive with a passion to restore and drive their Buicks.

More specifically to:

Derek Thille, Larry Schramm, Marck Barker, Pete Phillips, & Brian Heil for allowing me to help them spend their money on Buick projects & parts.

Dave Ebert, John Scheib, & Larry Dibarry for keeping the PWD going when I took a break to care for my elderly father.

Fred Rawling, Brian Lawrence, Randy Dekker, & Mike Middleton for helping me and others find and restore old Buicks.

And most of all, to my lovely wife Rinda for putting up with the grease and grime from working on cars, and for being the best nag-avator on tours.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 7 months later...

Thanks to outgoing BCA BOD, John DeFiore for an outstanding job as BCA Secretary the past few years. For that matter thanks to Kris Syrdal for her run as BCA Secretary too over MANY years. I didn't get to serve with John like I did Kris so no comparing of the two by me, but BCA Secretary is THE hardest BOD position and all who serve in the role deserve a huge thank you from the membership. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...