Riviera Tips, Web Sites, Vendors and Services

MrEarl

This thread can be used to list information and links to Riviera related websites, vendors or services. If you have something you would like to see posted here please post all pertinent info including names, addresses, phone numbers, emails and clickable links and I will add it to the list. Please advise via a PM if a referenced site or vendor no longer exists, or if a link has expired or no longer works and it will be deleted. 

The Web Sites, Vendors and Services submitted by members and listed below are for reference purposes only to help forum users find parts and services for their Buick's.The Buick Club of America nor the Antique Automobile Club of America endorse or in anyway advertise, recommend, support or promote any commercial products, processes, or services listed here. Therefore, mention of commercial products, processes, or services in this forum cannot be construed as an advertisement, endorsement or recommendation.

VENDORS AND SERVICES:

INTERESTING/HELPFUL WEBSITES:

1961-1972 Buick Parts and Accessories Catalog — http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990334158924.cgi?categoryid=9990334161791

TIPS:

Easy five minute solution to 1965 buick Riviera Unobtanium auxiliary headlight motor relay

• Thanks 2

• MrEarl pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but the Internet Movie Car Database website has a comprehensive list of TV shows and movies that have had Riviera's in them:

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Buick_model-Riviera.html 

While this is not a 100% complete list of Riviera's in motion pictures, it does contain 22 pages of listings!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Classic Car Turn and Tail Light Socket Restoration.

Here's a fix for a problem that you'll more than likely run across at sometime during the ownership or acquisition of your Riviera.  It's a link to a YouTube video that shows how to repair the old brittle wiring that goes into the turn signal/parking lamps.  The video does feature a Riviera but it is probably applicable to any older car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One of the things I try & do first.  IF the wires are stuck to the boot spray them with a little carb. cleaner as this will soften the rubber & break the contact loose.

Next if the wires are now a little loose & the springs have some resistance when pushed in I put a little dot of solder on the end of the bulb to bluid it up. IF you added too much just file it down until the bulb will be seated.

This may save the time to cut & splice wires, etc.

Just another way to maybe accomplish the same outcome.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, RodA67Riv said:

Time to consider getting my tired wheels (853s) re-chromed. Any advise on a plating service in the Chicago area?

Hi Rod,

Didnt know you are local to me...I believe I have some beautiful 853 wheels in stock....for a `67 Riv? If so, send me a PM. I`m currently out of town but will be returning to the Chicago area for a few days in the near future before leaving town once again.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wimpyv6 said:

Anyone have feedback on Tri Power Automotive in Libertyville, IL?

thanks, len.  

Hi Len, sorry I don't have any feedback on Tri Power, but do let me know what you find out or what your experience is if you decide to give them a try. I'm about 10 minutes from Libertyville and it would be good to have a recommended shop.

Thanks,

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this thread and in my search for rear suspension bushings and parts ran into this set up. It will make the purists heads melt but for customs its totally cool.

https://www.bcfab.com/63-65-Buick-Riviera-Link-Kit_p_1711.html

Custom 63-65 link kit for all out builds....hmmmm!

Edited by protrash63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2021 at 12:14 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Didnt know you are local to me...I believe I have some beautiful 853 wheels in stock....for a `67 Riv?

Hi Tom. Thanks for hooking me up with new wheels. They look great! I found that the center cap retainer hole on the new wheels are 2-1/8” whereas the old wheels were 2”. I’ve ordered new retainer clips. No problem. Just curious when and why GM made the change? Thanks!

D8F1C49A-632E-48F6-9965-85E9B5F0A99E.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RodA67Riv said:

Hi Tom. Thanks for hooking me up with new wheels. They look great! I found that the center cap retainer hole on the new wheels are 2-1/8” whereas the old wheels were 2”. I’ve ordered new retainer clips. No problem. Just curious when and why GM made the change? Thanks!

Those look great!  If anyone has any nice 895 wheels near Massachusetts let me know!  Love the color on the car as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RodA67Riv said:

Hi Rod,

Whoa! That was quick! Those were the nicest set of 853`s I`ve ever had...as I stated, I basically put them together over the course of a couple of decades and have been saving them to make a set for the right buyer/car and it looks like they`ve found a good home...wish I could find a set of `66 wheels that are that nice!

Motor Wheel/Buick enlarged the center hole to 2 1/8th starting in `66 and continued through `70...the `64-`65 and the `71 and up wheels have a 2 inch center hole so your wheels must be one of those versions. You can send me some pics or better yet just stop by and I can identify them for you.

I wish I knew you needed retainers...the ones on the center caps I had in my truck are brand new.

Your Riv looks great Rod, looking forward to seeing it sometime!

Tom

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Motor Wheel/Buick enlarged the center hole to 2 1/8th starting in `66 and continued through `70...the `64-`65 and the `71 and up wheels have a 2 inch center hole so your wheels must be one of those versions. You can send me some pics or better yet just stop by and I can identify them for you.

Spot on Tom! The old ones were 895’s. My Riv probably started life with hub caps and at some point someone put these on.

Cheers,

Rod

98C14C37-E9D5-4BB0-B181-DCDFA2EF5554.jpeg

33 minutes ago, RodA67Riv said:

Spot on Tom! The old ones were 895’s. My Riv probably started life with hub caps and at some point someone put these on.

Cheers,

Rod

98C14C37-E9D5-4BB0-B181-DCDFA2EF5554.jpeg

Hi Rod,

Good you removed those 895 wheels...they are the wrong offset for your car and are potentially dangerous because the inside edge of the 895 rims can contact the fins on the brake drums before the lug nut area seats on the axle/hub giving the illusion the lug nuts are tight.

Tom 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 11:43 AM, 1965rivgs said:

they are the wrong offset for your car and are potentially dangerous because the inside edge of the 895 rims can contact the fins on the brake drums

I concur - there were a set of 895s on my '67 when I bought it.  They, however, had 1/4" spacers installed between the wheel and drum to mitigate the issue Tom describes above.  Even so, the wheels 'kissed' the fins on the drums AND there was 1/4" less thread engagement on the lug nuts.  Fortunately I was able to buy a set of original '67 road wheels so my car is back to stock configuration.

• Like 3