No sound from horn

CCruz

The horn on my '53 Ford has not worked for some time and I am at a loss as to where to find the problem.  I have removed the steering wheel and found the button but it does not make a sound when depressed.  I have bypassed the steering ring to make the horn sound so I know it is not the horns themselves.  Is there a fuse somewhere?  What would be your recommendations to check, first?

I had this issue with my Buick.  I don't know the specifics of a 53 Ford, but it can't be too different.  You could have a hard problem or an easy problem.  There is a wire that runs down the inside of the steering column from the horn contacts in the hub.   The wire on my Buick ends up with a  male connector sticking out of the column down by the steering box.   Check for continuity between your horn contact in the hub and this contact down on the column.  If no continuity, the internal wire is shot, and that's hard to replace.   Then there's a wire that runs from the connector on the column to somewhere.... on my buick it was a junction box on the radiator support.  Check the continuity of that wire.  If shot, that one is easy enough to replace.  I just ran a whole new wire rather than unwrapping the wiring harness and replacing the horn wire. 

It should not be hard to replace the horn wire that goes thru the steering column, if it is defective. Attach a new wire to the bottom end and pull it up through.

You have done good work in proving the horns themselves are working. Next is to try grounding the horn wire where it comes out to the horn button, as you have that apart. If the horn works the problem must be in the horn button, if not, suspect the wiring.

There is the horn button itself which grounds the circuit, and there is a roller or wiper that grounds the steering wheel hub to the column. Both must be making good contact to complete the circuit.

Horns draw quite a bit of current, so many cars have a relay. If you have a relay is it working?

I found a wiring diagram of your Ford:

Flathead_Electrical_wiring1953.jpg

Wow, it showed up, I just copied and pasted the link, but I digress.

There is a horn relay. Check for -6 volts there (with respect to ground) at the "hot" terminal. Looks like yellow is the wire color.  Got that? If yes, then short from the terminal going to the steering column, looks like a blue/yellow wire, to ground. Does that work? If yes, the problem is in the steering column. If not, bad relay. If no - 6V at the horn relay, look for broken wire between relay and battery (at starter relay).