wood floor board

sligermachine

This week i'm going to make my first floor board I have my pattern out  any way I think its the right board  I bought 5 cars same day so a lot of head scratching wile studding my parts I had that wood cut from a tree that was dry  that is under the car . I would have started to work on it this weekend but my shop was dirty and I figured I better clean up real good be for I make a big mess anyway.--Kyle

20171106_002420_Film1[1].jpg

20171026_213821_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine
spelling . (see edit history)

Kyle, 

You have a good start with that board.  That is the drivers side (left side) sill shown upside down.  They used 1/4" thick wood strips tacked to the underside and then nailed the sheetmetal thru both the strip and into the sill.  This is what the 2 outer sills look like for a Standard Touring.  This photo also shows the bottom side.  Also a drawing of the construction in the rocker panel door area in cross section.   You are also missing the 1/4" reinforced rubber pad from the tip that is shown on my photo. 

One more note.  Your original sills were laminated from tongue and groove wood strips, but some McLaughlins did not do this.  The tongue and groove design for the sills was to prevent warping.  My wood was good except for the tip of one of these sills - looks similar to yours.  I used Epoxy glue and remade the same tongue and groove (including the angle that makes it grip) and I glued mine and slid it all back together.  I bought those carriage bolt metal plates called "torque washers" to ensure the bolts would not spin in the wood.  I had to notch out a little of the 1/4" wood strip to make it all fit.  Probably wouldn't hurt to have put a screwdriver slot in the head of the carriage bolt as well.    I have listed some of my supplies that I bought to do this in the Pre war links section - I will add a few more links for the things I purchased to fix the wood.  Hugh

IMG_3751.thumb.JPG.d04c2657944559a39400a3a674272a39.JPG

5a0087bb1a862_LeftsideSillConstruction.thumb.JPG.8793e352e82e7342c38ee8bcfdadedfb.JPG 

IMG_3746.thumb.JPG.e3ce3c03c0ea3c4711106562563a4a91.JPG

5a008b84403cc_2016-02-1116_04_21.thumb.jpg.5a3408fb95f6377c18d12182d7ec2564.jpg

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

So do I leave in put hear or  up their by    Quote  ?  

so I need to find some sheet metal sill  I bet I got it with the cars i got so much stuff it took 2 weeks to move it after work one load a night  thank you for taking your time to help me i love  restoring old cars just mad at my self for sale my 1929 ford truck I loved that thing 6 years to make 2 min. to sale  still kicking my own butt  Kyle   all the packing  on the parts news paper, 1966  so he was buying the parts i'm un  boxing when I was born. 

Edited by sligermachine

9 minutes ago, sligermachine said:

some times it under lines the words in red whats that for i know i dont spell good 

The red is just telling you that a mistake in spelling has been made. Just get as close as you can, nobody here cares about spelling as much as what is being said. 

Carry on?

• Like 3

i have on usurps not had a email and don't play on the inter net . i have spent my hole life building one off machines and crop dusters  as fast as i can 7 day a week now its time to make some stuff for me and my wife to have some fun with . so can you draw how the body nails to this board  . im tempted to draw the wood in my CAD program and  program  a  CNC to do the cutting but i think i will just make at home if i go to my  machine shop i will get roped in to running some machine or welding some thing  

Kyle, 

You are doing fine.  This is what the rocker panel sheetmetal looks like for a standard touring.  There is a 3/4" thick board screwed to the top of the wood sill, and the 1/4" board nailed to the bottom side of the sill.  That is what my drawing above is trying to show.  Due to the shape of the rocker panel, it is placed over the top wood first and then the bottom is slid under the 1/4" wood.   The top is held with nails that are hammered horizontally from the inside of the car toward the outside, and the underside nails are hammered straight up.   So the top nails only go into the 3/4" thick wood piece that is on top of the sill.  

I had a company named Rootlieb in California make new rocker panels from my old ones. Hugh

5a013bc1def41_Rootliebrockers1.thumb.JPG.4990774860912b7707dc2f16cd4f36d0.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, sligermachine said:

some times it under lines the words in red whats that for i know i dont spell good 

The red means it not a word. But there are other spelling errors it doesn't catch. For example, you spelled "sometimes" wrong because it is one word, but some and times are good words so you don't get red. You also spelled underlines wrong, it's one word also.

• Like 1

Well today I pulled out every piece of wood that came with all four 1925 Buick's because I don't know which part goes to each car. To my delight it looks like I have 80% of the wood frame to put the 25 Roadster together.  I have pictures of all the wood it looks like the bolt patterns match the frame.  So here's my pictures if anyone has some input that would be great. i figure i shuld build the hole thing off the frame thin put it on the frame   I E  body nailed to the wood work thin bolt wood -body to frame lucky for me the last guy glass beaded  the old hardware and painted it cobolt blue as well as all the brakets  or most of them and i found the sill boards even painted allredy to with the cobalt painted hinges the hole set for the car   kyle

20171111_114530_Film1[1].jpg

20171111_131353_Film1[1].jpg

20171111_131447_Film1[1].jpg

20171111_132414_Film1[1].jpg

Message_1510453281190[1].jpg

Well today I pulled out every piece of wood that came with all four 1925 Buick's because I don't know which part goes to each car. To my delight it looks like I have 80% of the wood frame to put the 25 Roadster together.  I have pictures of all the wood it looks like the bolt patterns match the frame.  So here's my pictures if anyone has some input that would be great. i figure i shuld build the hole thing off the frame thin put it on the frame   I E  body nailed to the wood work thin bolt wood -body to frame lucky for me the last guy glass beaded  the old hardware and painted it cobolt blue as well as all the brakets  or most of them and i found the sill boards even painted allredy to with the cobalt painted hinges the hole set for the car   kyle

20171111_132421_Film1[1].jpg

20171111_131701_Film1[1].jpg

20171111_131628_Film1[1].jpg

20171111_200150_Film1[1].jpg

• Like 1

Well today I pulled out every piece of wood that came with all four 1925 Buick's because I don't know which part goes to each car. To my delight it looks like I have 80% of the wood frame to put the 25 Roadster together.  I have pictures of all the wood it looks like the bolt patterns match the frame.  So here's my pictures if anyone has some input that would be great. i figure i should build the hole thing off the frame thin put it on the frame   I E  body nailed to the wood work thin bolt wood -body to frame lucky for me the last guy glass beaded  the old hardware and painted it cobalt blue as well as all the brackets  or most of them and i found the sill boards even painted already to with the cobalt painted hinges the hole set for the car   kyle  what is this last  picture  ?

20171111_131628_Film1[1].jpg

20171111_174317_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine

Kyle, 

You did well finding that much wood.  The inside of the cowl assembly should look something like this.  This is the sheetmetal support for the toe board that is at an angle.  Then notice the routered groove in the Sill.  That holds the floorboards for the front seat.  This is the right front foot well.  

5a08da8483b79_2015-11-1517_02_04.thumb.jpg.d18a30ea22638a206361fce6229d4201.jpg 

You should also have a aluminum threshold plates for the doors ( I think) 

DE-445.thumb.jpg.3338ae8ccc0b8a923d7905a3076fed2f.jpg

I would think you will need to make the seat support and add wood into the rear around the edges.

5a08dc39ac8cb_woodstructure-1.jpg.671b9a2d1bc4a15f3a0cdaa136577cec.jpg

5a08dc4bb9445_woodstructure-2.jpg.d044fe73efd68b27d86cbdd6d0fa037d.jpg

5a08dbce2fe79_2015-12-2019_37_55.thumb.jpg.1459cf3d32ccab6be7991d63ee6a15bd.jpg

5a08dd07bd0ef_SeatCompartmentFront1925BuickLeif.thumb.jpg.7eced62bbc7849de229c968ae6cf2215.jpg

• Like 3

i had it cut at a mill just the right size for both to get cut out of one slab  now i need to run it though my planer and should be premo fit.last night it would not let me post said i had to wait  that is probably why everybody says email me ? or private email ? boy i was looking at the points  pretty weird nut bolt combo . i think that is all i need to start the motor is points im going to try to start it next week in the old parts i found all the old bearings bushings out of the motor  when it was rebuilt by the previous owner . man im glad i went to look at the helicopter for sale or i would have not bumped in to this car in the air craft hanger . now the helicopter is out side and the buick is in side  my shop . LOL  kyle 

20171115_202237_Film1[1].jpg

20171115_230030_Film1[1].jpg

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:38 AM, sligermachine said:

it came with 3 wheels this one in front of the radiator is nice

Kyle:

If your car is a model 44 it would have the wheel with the painted spider.5a13afc35bc1c_1924-44int.png.0cefdf29fb8e98a02f72427f9e2d738d.png Photo of a 1924-44 roadster. 

I see what you have on the car is a 1928 wheel. The model 55 sport touring and model 54 sport roadster would have a spider with walnut spokes.

3538570.jpg.0209d33b09623aa00e15f7268d0fd46f.jpg  Photo of 1925-55 Sport Touring.

Some of the other Master cars had the aluminum spiders polished. I am pulling apart my spare wheel/ column/box assembly right now. My spare has a nickeled column jacket and is for a sedan.

• Like 3

Finished the floor runners, lots of angels there in the connecting  up to the body, but fit up really good  transferred the bolt hole pattern from frame to runners  and put some temp braces in to hold runner spacing so bolt pattern should still match, after I fit it up to the body .Set up some saw horses bolted the cowling to the front of the runners, set moved  body up on the sawhorses and lined up the corners . Tomorrow I'm going to build a wood frame, under the sawhorses so I can level up the lot and tram the body see how square I can get it to be wile the door skins are I'm thinking maybe TIG. weld them in permanent till all body wood frame is fabricated up and glued that way when I cut the tacks the frames are straight and rigid .this might not be the way to go ?? what do you think ??

20171126_232756_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine
for got spell check (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My 25-45 body was missing most of the original wood, so I got  measurements at upper & lower door openings from an original car, then made simple wooden supports to hold the sheetmetal in position.  The entire body is sitting on a large pallet.  At first the front doors did not line up correctly with the cowl, so I lowered the back of the cowl 1/8" by replacing the supporting board with a thinner one, and the doors lined up. Once everything was aligned, the door skins hang perfectly in the door openings supported by small C clamps and strips of wood.  Now that everything is aligned,  I am working on making wood patterns from scrap wood starting with doors. Below is a picture of unfinished wood door frame and cutting tenons with tenoning jig.  2 parts are clamped to the tenoning jig to make a perfectly matched pair.

Kevin

body sheet metal on pallet-1.jpg

inside supports.jpg

door frame.jpg

cutting tenons.jpg

• Like 2

Your car has a lots of wood I will have to do the same when I'm fixen up my 4 door  . I will take your advice and clamp the doors in but I think I will do both 2 door cars first wile I got my wood shop set up . I'm getting so much saw dust all over the place looks like it snowed in my shop my wife said she wood get her leaf blower out and clean up after me, I think she was kidding though .To day at the machine shop instead of running a lathe I made a nice rolling jig to mimic the car frame. I just hate getting on my knees to work broke the ball off my femur 25 years ago so it gets sore really easy -- Kyle

Edited by sligermachine (see edit history)

This jig I just made out of some left overs from a job.  I have a 1925 frame at the machine shop so I duplicated the bolt hole pattern on to the 2x2 tubing and some old casters made it bolt together that way I can break it down real small after its not needed till I start the next Buick project . 

20171127_223324_Film1[1].jpg

20171127_220144_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine
  • Like 1

I get a kick out of disclaimer wife's car !!!     thank you for the compliment.  I am always making some thing I like restoring old pin ball games to  . After I work at my machine shop all day making one off parts  you think I would get tired of making stuff but I just don't like TV .- kyle 

Edited by sligermachine

3 minutes ago, sligermachine said:

i get a kick out of disclaimer wifes car !!!     thank you for the compliment  i am always making some thing i like restoring old pin ball games to  . after i work at my machine shop all day making one off parts  U think i would get tired of making stuff but i just dont like tv 

Don't watch too much TV lately.  Too busy trying to get ready for winter and fixing the '15 truck and '08 car, getting ready for touring season next summer.  Might try to work on the '18 truck some this winter also.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4

So how do I find a touring  to go on  I should have this car back on the full time road in a couple months .I know every time it rains I run all over the place and put tarps on all my out side projects . Did you  check out how pretty the vale train is on the motor I was so happy when I puled off the valve cover and put a bore scope down the cylinder  bran new cross hatch.  I was just floating off the ground so happy to see the insides of the motor are all brand new machine work ,but of course the guy that started this ground up restoration and spent 10 years of his free time to get it looking this good wile he also owned a engine rebuilding machine shop .I figured it was spotless in side of their to  .just got back the windshield arms from the chrome shop . looking good- Kyle

Edited by sligermachine

I would recommend joining the VMCCA / Vintage Motor Car Club of America where touring is a way of life.  The local group that I belong to are a great bunch of folks.  My wife and I have had a great time with them.  :)  They are all about having fun and driving the cars.  :)  Nothing more and they do not judge you for the condition of your vehicle,  at least the group we belong to.  Very knowledgeable group that are willing and able to help you get your car running better. :)  They are born to drive.

Here is a link to their web site.  http://www.vmcca.org/

And application page.  http://www.vmcca.org/join-or-renew/

• Like 1

I Will become a member, and take my old cars out for a drive !!! for sure  I made a new set of rear door posts and will do the same for all the other door frames and forward  posts   so I have some in my hand while I test run a few in one of my cnc`s I Will help some guys get their projects moving again God is always watching out for me so I should do the same .Here's how far I got today had to make a makeshift dust collector I have a really big one but its stuck behind my model A 1932 truck right now .

its so cold don't fill like moving everything around, to get it but I will this weekend  and hook it up with a 5`` hose to all my wood stuff  I like using my band saw most of all to make every cut I use them so often at the machine shop and I have cnc band saws to that makes it fast .this first picture is how I get most of my parts so close my favorite thing to use in my shop play-doh  put it in a plastic bag and push it in the hole and mike it to get the inside dimensions to fit like a glove when I was teaching Aircraft mechanic school  I always showed the students the fastest way to make parts I built one off aircraft for 15 years crop dusters are a lot of fun to make from scratch .I am a self taught machinist just bought a lathe and started playing with it for 35 years making gears is my favorite thing to do I think i'm the only shop in my town that makes them the same day they're ordered all the time  make a blank out of any thing steel brass plastic nowadays I been letting my son run the shop but right now he is gone on his honeymoon .

20171204_215609_Film1[1].jpg

20171204_234940_Film1[1].jpg

20171204_205404_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine
  • Like 1