Bakelite or similar high temp casting material needed

alsfarms

Nothing on the Kwik Poly website talks about UV or heat resistance.  It does mention you can add colored powder to make it any color you want.

I'd be willing to bet that it would stand up to steam temperature.  It sets up in minutes and gets very hard.

You can order it directly from the manufacturer.  No, I don't own stock in the company, you call them, they send it along with a bill, at least that's how I bought my last kit, it's just a great product for stabilizing weak wood, and as mentioned, it's very thin when first mixed so makes pouring into a mold very easy....

http://www.kwikpolyllc.com/ 

• Like 1

Kwik Poly can be tinted with powder pigment to achieve a certain color. Better than painting it afterwards. Yes KP has a thin viscosity when first mixed, but that is its advantage, to impregnate into porous material like wood.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public4/kwikpoly-1.cfm

Also consider the urethane products from Smooth On Plastics: https://www.smooth-on.com/

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Also keep in mind that if you are casting a distributor cap you must have a material that will not breakdown under high voltage stresses. This rules out anything that has any conductive materials IE: graphite, carbon and any matelic fillers. It also has to be impervious to moisture absorbsion for the same reasions. If it ever starts to arc out you are done as it will burn a carbon trail that cannot be repaired.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments on delrin.  If I could use basic shapes that would be OK but I need to transfer an emblem and script to delrin for this application won't work.  Tomake a cap for a Dodge, that,s another story.  I do like you idea of making a blank from which I can test threads during the machining process.  I have used wire gauges in the past and they worked very nice but what a pain in the rear end to use.

Al 

37 Roadmaster, You gave me a very good idea!  I need to locate or purchase some early Delco distributor lead nuts, for a project.  I think I will do some leg work, to make sure of the electrical capabilities of the material, then make a pattern and build my cast my own lead nuts.  I am sure I could get the proper brown color.  I have a good original nut that I could use as a pattern.  I want to build a radiator cap and now I am off talking about lead nuts.  I may in the cast up a pair of 4 cylinder dual spark distributor caps....in the future.  Thanks for the thoughts and observations.

Al

13 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Thanks for the comments on delrin.  If I could use basic shapes that would be OK but I need to transfer an emblem and script to delrin for this application won't work.  Tomake a cap for a Dodge, that,s another story.  I do like you idea of making a blank from which I can test threads during the machining process.  I have used wire gauges in the past and they worked very nice but what a pain in the rear end to use.

Al 

i have never used wire gauges but im self tough machinist  i just kept making all my own test parts  i love to cast teast parts out of 5 min. epoxy . i need a radator cap for my 1929 doge to  jess if u find one we could just  make a sand pack mold and pore some at my house kyle