1929 real axle seal/bush

147 Franklin Airman

36 minutes ago, raydurr said:

Ok, it is normal for the shaft to have a quite a bit of free play. The roller bearings inside the hub is what keeps the axle shaft centered wheel the hub is installed.The roller bearing runs on the axle housing .

That's good to hear but I do have an issue of oil seeping through which is why I thought it might be a seal. 

3 hours ago, 147 Franklin Airman said:

That's good to hear but I do have an issue of oil seeping through which is why I thought it might be a seal. 

Here is where pictures need to be posted to get a better understanding of the issue.

Mike in Colorado

Where is said oil coming from? These old rear axles always seem to leak some. The only seal is a felt seal which allows seepage but prevent dirt and other contaminants from contacting the bearing. In photo 3 the lower part is the felt seal. Any lube that gets past it is captured by a shield that directs it to a drain spout on the other side of the backing plate, just below the axle housing tube. The rear wheel bearings are lubed by chassis grease upon assembly then topped of with a grease gun through the 1/8" NPT plug in the hub.

DSCN0310 1929 BUICK REAR AXLE SHAFT.jpg

DSCN0313 1929 BUICK REAR AXLE SHAFT 2.jpg

DSCN0318 1929 BUICK REAR HUB SEAL.jpg

DSCN0974 1929 BUICK SPOUT.jpg

Edited by raydurr (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is a vast amount of free play between the shaft and bearing race in your photo number 3, I only have about 10 thou but that is where the oil is coming from and getting into the bearing and mixing with the grease. It slowly leaks out through the hub cap and splatters over the tire. Thanks for the photos which are exactly the area in question. 

Is the differential overfilled?  If so , excess should go out the spout on the backing plate , unless some of the bearing shields or other sheet metal parts are damaged or missing. Make sure spout is clear and not blocked. If replacing the seal, silicone could be applied between the brake drum and the shield attached by the 6 bolts. This may slow the leakage some. There is no seal between the axle shaft and axle housing. I have never experienced a leak from inside the hubcap. Was the axle nut loose?

Edited by raydurr (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, raydurr said:

Is the differential overfilled?  If so , excess should go out the spout on the backing plate , unless some of the bearing shields or other sheet metal parts are damaged or missing. Make sure spout is clear and not blocked. If replacing the seal, silicone could be applied between the brake drum and the shield attached by the 6 bolts. This may slow the leakage some.

Thanks, I have not checked the spout so that's my next job. Many thanks for your help. The axle nut was tight locked by the lock washer. 

I think you need a new replacement seal from bobasatomobilia.com.    You can test to make sure that it is the seal by cutting a piece of cardboard like a cereal box to fit around the outside of your old felt seal and try it out.   The cardboard around the outside will shrink the inside hole and should stop the leak.

Your differential cover should be installed with the filler on the lower side and when you put the tip of your finger in the hole, you should feel the oil about a forth to a half inch below the hole.  That will prove if it is overfilled or not.

cut a new paper gasket for the shedder. 

11 hours ago, Fred Rawling said:

I think you need a new replacement seal from bobasatomobilia.com.    You can test to make sure that it is the seal by cutting a piece of cardboard like a cereal box to fit around the outside of your old felt seal and try it out.   The cardboard around the outside will shrink the inside hole and should stop the leak.

Your differential cover should be installed with the filler on the lower side and when you put the tip of your finger in the hole, you should feel the oil about a forth to a half inch below the hole.  That will prove if it is overfilled or not.

cut a new paper gasket for the shedder. 

Thanks Fred, it is possible that I may have overfilled the differential when I replaced the oil with a 250w