Is this 1931 Buick Engine Correct

Hi To All

I'm considering making a purchase of a 1931 Buick 67 series.

Going over the pictures, the engine compartment looks odd to me.

Before I make the trip to inspect the car; can some one tell me if this air cleaner is correct to the car.

If it is not correct, what does it need to be correct.

Thanks to all for your help.

60746452-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300)
misspelled topic (see edit history)

Dave,

A later model downdraft carby and air cleaner have been fitted. This motor should have an updraft Marvel carb and associated linkage and pre heat box.

This is a very common practice to flip the intake manifold and use a later more efficient downdraft carby on late model 6 cylinder and early model 8 cylinder Buicks.

Ask the owner if he has retained the original carby etc as they tend to be pricey if you wish to put it back to original.

1931-Engine-2.jpg

The image is of a larger series engine but the carby and pre heat arrangement is pretty much the same.

Edited by 50jetback
Add image (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

That manifold assy looks from the late 30s or even after. It appears like the intake is "tilted" to keep the runners level. This started in 37 or 38, I think, others can correct me.

1939 was the first year of the stepped intake manifold (~1.5" steps down at no 8, as the engine is on a slope)

Up to then the intake was flat  (in one plane)

• Like 1

Although many have replaced the original Marvels, they do run OK if properly set up. 

Several Buicks I have seen with downdraft carbs were flipped because the cast iron heat riser was cracked and almost impossible to replace.

Downdraft carbs work well if sized correctly for the engine displacement and the linkage works smoothly through the full range.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:21 PM, 50jetback said:

Dave,

A later model downdraft carby and air cleaner have been fitted. This motor should have an updraft Marvel carb and associated linkage and pre heat box.

This is a very common practice to flip the intake manifold and use a later more efficient downdraft carby on late model 6 cylinder and early model 8 cylinder Buicks.

Ask the owner if he has retained the original carby etc as they tend to be pricey if you wish to put it back to original.

1931-Engine-2.jpg

The image is of a larger series engine but the carby and pre heat arrangement is pretty much the same.

Thank you. I knew there would be members who knew.

I had a sense something was wrong but  just not certain. 

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)

outside of the intake/carb issue, the rest of the engine does look  correct.  A serial # from the right side of the engine just below the cylinder head would help ID the year. It should be on the boss just above the oil cap on the side plate.  The oil cooler looks suspect for originality.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

In this case the manifold has not been flipped as it is from a later engine. One advantage of the early Series 60 is that later manifolds fit as the engine has the same bore as the later Series 40 - and presumably the same port arrangement. There is a Series 60 here in NZ that had the same treatment.  I have often wondered if the designers used the 60 engine as a basis for the 40, even if just to get the overall size about right  or maybe it is just conincidence. Of course the 40 has a much shorter stroke.

• Like 1