November Bugle 2017

BUICK RACER

I continue to be shocked by people with garages full of toy cars complaining about the $50-100 it takes to belong to a club catering to those cars. Seriously?

But to go back to the original subject and how to get new members, I don't think there's any single answer. People aren't trying the club and deciding it isn't for them; they're just not bothering. Making it cheaper or changing the magazine or how cars are arranged at shows or who does the judging won't shift membership numbers in a notable way. I think I have a better view than most into the demographics and motivations of today's hobbyists and the truth is, we all gravitate towards cars that not only interest us, but cars that have an emotional connection. My father drove a 1941 Buick when I was a kid, so that's what I collect. I was exposed to the Full Classics as a child so those are what I aspired to when I grew older. My father had a 1968 Camaro SS396 convertible when I was a kid (he bought it new) but all I recall of that car was that we called it "the clunker." I don't care for muscle cars, although they're closer to what my generation might have connected with. It's all about exposure, and usually at a young age.

What I'm saying is that when a 30- or 40-something walks into my shop and says he's thinking about getting an "old" car, he's initially pretty open. My first move is usually to show him a flathead V8 Ford. Good performance, good looks, fun to drive, good club support, good parts availability, and reasonably priced. Then they ask me about horsepower and speed and I say, "Well, about 100 horsepower and 60 MPH." Their eyes glaze over and they wander over and look at the 1969 Camaro or 1966 GTO or 2007 Corvette sitting on the other side of the showroom. There's no touchstone there, no connection to cars of the '30s and '40s, but even if they weren't around in the '60s, they can at least understand those cars and know they have modern performance. It is a very, VERY hard proposition to make to younger people. They have no frame of reference, no understanding that going fast and getting there quickly isn't the point. Hell, I just sold a 1993 Cadillac Allante to a couple, and the wife was losing her mind that it didn't have side airbags and automatic braking protection and a back-up camera and all the other safety stuff that comes on a modern car. Get over yourself, lady. The world isn't that dangerous. But she literally thought that it was unsafe to drive a car without those things. How to combat that kind of thinking?

When I take my 1929 Cadillac to the local cruise night, people are flat-out FLABBERGASTED that I'm actually able to, you know, drive it. The next guy who says it should have a big block Chevy in it "just so you can use it" is going to get punched. Larry has exactly the right idea by putting his older vehicles in front of people and actually letting them experience it first hand. That's why I take the old cars to the cruise nights so people can see that they work like real cars. When I tell them that my '41 Buick will cruise all day at 65 MPH, they're flat-out stunned. A great many "car guys" still think cars older than the 1950s went about 25 MPH and were miserable to drive and always overheat and are hard to start with 6 volt electrical systems. When they see these old cars out and about, it changes their perspective a bit. When they see my 1929 Cadillac starting in less than a second and idling almost silently, they're impressed. A light goes on and they start to understand.

The thing to remember is that most car guys (present company excepted) don't have any vision, imagination, or courage. A red 1970 Chevelle SS is safe. Nobody's going to criticize that choice. Same with a 1969 Camaro or a 1966 Mustang. They know those cars are OK because all their buddies have those cars, too. But asking them to go outside that comfort zone is very, very difficult. Not only don't they understand the cars outsize their zone, but they're afraid that their peer group will criticize the decision. I know most aren't in love with the cars they own (else I wouldn't have a showroom full of them) but they do feel comfortable in that "zone of mediocrity." And that's really all they want. They don't really know their cars are garden-variety but they probably don't care, either.

Exposing outsiders who are already car guys to cars that they never would have considered is probably the best avenue for growing the ranks. It's still a huge uphill battle, but when those guys see something they wouldn't in a million years have even considered owning and see that they like it, maybe a fire is lit. They're already car guys, they just need to expand their horizons a bit. If you can show them that a truly old car can be usable and fun, not a handicap and a death-trap, maybe those perceptions start to change. But that's a big battle and it involves getting the cars out and using them outside of the BCA.

I drive my old cars to work every day. We take them to dinner and park them in the parking lot like any other car. I drive them in the rain. It's 18 degrees and snowing today yet I drove the '41 Limited to work so I can install my new fog lights. I am USING MY CAR AS A CAR. And that, above all else, is what I think the great many people don't understand about old cars--they are still functional as cars, not static art. But unless everyone gets out and starts using them, there's no proof. Instead, we hide them in garages, shuttle them around in enclosed trailers, and go to shows where we're already preaching to the choir. In the same way that most car guys are narrowly focused in the "zone of mediocrity" members of most clubs are insulated by the club itself. It's awesome to go to a BCA event--hell, I felt like a celebrity driving that '41 Limited onto the field in Allentown because BCA people know it's an amazing car. The public, however, just sees a big, frumpy old car that they think is going to hold them up in traffic. But if they see it blasting along on the highway with a happy family inside, if they see it at muscle car/late model shows with the hood open and showing of the state-of-the-art dual carb engine, and the see it starting, idling, and just acting like a real car, then maybe a seed is planted.

This is a lot of words. The problem isn't the club or how it's run, it's the public that has no connection to these cars. And the only way to connect them to these cars is to actually connect them with the cars. Drive them. Show them in non-club events. Be receptive to any curiosity at a gas station, no matter who it might be (that African-American kid with the loud stereo and 24-inch wheels on his Caprice is probably more into your old car than the white suburban teenager with a new Honda). I'm sure this has all been said before, but in my business, all I see are people who just don't get it and those people make up 90% of the hobby. They simply don't know any better.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NTX5467 said:

In relation to the former retailers, I suspect their customer demographic went away, with no new consumers to take their place.  The old "If it ain't broke . . . ." orientation was crumbling, unfortunately.  In the case of BlockBuster, the electronic media/Internet/CD proliferation snowballed over them.  "Tapes" suddenly lost favor for new media.  They didn't seem to adjust fast enough and financial issues loomed.  The fickle consumer struck again.

As to the named car companies, many were smaller and didn't have the financial resources (or availability thereof) to fund new models as their customer base would have desired.  For example, as USA brands offered more glitz and sophistication, in the case of AMC, AMC vehicles were much more basic in design, by comparison.  I suspect for each of the former nameplates, then an economic downturn happened and they became a part of it.  I suspect they were refining what had worked for them but didn't forecast the future very well, if at all.

"Giving the public what it wants" can lead a company down the wrong path, though.  INTERPRETATION of what the customer wants, not just looking at the surface information alone, can be $$$ wasted.  In the Lutz book "GUTS", I believe, he talked about product research on minivans, at the time that Chrysler was very successful.  "Cup Holders" were a key thing, at that time.  They asked people at large new car events if they would like more cup holders in their minivans.  Of course, they said "Yes".  When asked if they'd pay $25 ( believe) more for a vehicle with those additional cup holders.  "No".  So, some care of interpretation is needed before jumping into that hole.

NTX5467

Henry Ford became wealthy because he gave the consumer what they wanted and could afford.  The smaller companies did not and eventually went out of business.  AMC held to small cars when the public wanted larger land yachts.  Jeep excepted.

IMO...$50/yr membership is fine/hard copy & mailed Bugle.  $35/yr is fine/e-mailed Bugle.  Pls leave the Bugle alone and as-is...I like receiving 12 issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

In relation to the former retailers, I suspect their customer demographic went away, with no new consumers to take their place.  The old "If it ain't broke . . . ." orientation was crumbling, unfortunately.  In the case of BlockBuster, the electronic media/Internet/CD proliferation snowballed over them.  "Tapes" suddenly lost favor for new media.  They didn't seem to adjust fast enough and financial issues loomed.  The fickle consumer struck again.

NTX5467

The failure of Blockbuster had less to do with the changing technology than with management's refusal, on AT LEAST 2 occasions, to accept the offer presented to them to purchase Netflix. I hope that isn't a close parallel to the BCA. 

Mt children (aged 17, 19 & 21) have some interest in the hobby. They've grown up with it. Teresa had her license just three months before driving the Reatta 1000 miles to South Bend. Between the pace car and the Reatta they all took turns driving to Allentown. This year was the Electra. Granted, only one has attempted learning to use the clutch in the 1941, but we will get there. I think Matt makes good points regarding using the Buicks and exposing them to people and vice versa. Lots of conversations get struck up with questions at gas stations. I'll never forget the reaction of the young folks next to us at the ice cream shop when Larry started the truck with a crank. They had questions and were impressed and got answers. When out on the road, lots of thumbs up. It is an expensive hobby, but there are low entry level cars that people can enjoy, especially with technical and parts support from club members. 

• Like 3

To clarify . . . what I was referring to on particular customer demographics "going away with no new customers to replace them" was they loyal demographic "aging out" of the car market.  Where did Hudson customers go?  OR like many Oldsmobile customers who just kept on driving their Delta 88s until they needed major repairs. . . rather than using the GM incentives to purchase another GM car.  If the Oldsmobile customers had really wanted a Buick, they would have been driving one, by observation.  Otherwise, it was later determined that Olds customers stayed with their former Olds dealer, when possible, new "other" brand or used.  In other brands in the list, when the existing well-heeled customers couldn't afford another one (during or post Depression), that customer demographic went away with no other customers to replace them.

Certainly, customers have options as to how they spend their money.  Which can be influenced by the then-current or suspected financial issues of this nation, their current job status, how they desire to look to others, or family size needs.  When customers didn't really like smaller fwd cars, they started buying pickup trucks and SUVs instead.  When gas prices rise, SUV sales go inversely . . . at least for those customers who CAN use something more fuel efficient.  The customer can be a great asset, or they can be terribly fickle and "fair weather friend" oriented.

NTX5467

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DShip said:

IMO...$50/yr membership is fine/hard copy & mailed Bugle.  $35/yr is fine/e-mailed Bugle.  Pls leave the Bugle alone and as-is...I like receiving 12 issues.

Since we are way off base  [  I think? ] from where we started this thread, I thought I would insert this little bit of FWIW info

1978  prices converted to today's dollars.  Why '78?  'cause that is the Bugle copy I plucked off the shelf. 

1978                                                                                       2017/2018

BCA membership =  $12.00     $46.68                                              $50.00

1978 West Coast Buick Meet/Show                                    Denver    National

Registration, per car=  $8.00     $32.12                                             $40.00

Rooms/double  $29.00        $112.81                                                  $115.00   From their web site today

Banquet per person   $10.00          $39.90                                          $60.00

Used an online calculator.  Not vouching for accuracy.

By the way, August 1978 Bugle is a B/W 24 page magazine, only 2/3rds the size of today's.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, sligermachine said:

my 2 cents .  I just started hanging out hear  i just bought 5 pre war 1925 to 27  Buick's  just to have some fun with im  going to restore 2 of them for my self . I have been over whelmed with how nice every body has been to me . im new to using the web.and  forums  . I have spent my hole life pushing to build my businesses . all of a sudden i felt like spending some time having some fun restoring a old car  i cant wait   to go to a big Buick--met- get together   -- car show  I think nice people interested in the fine art of car fixing-restoring  will attract  nice people interested in cars.  the key is nice-friendly  for no reason. thanks for your time kyle  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been following the discussion for a bit and thought I may provide some input. Reading this caused me to think about why I joined the BCA and what I get out of membership. Being under 40, I think I fall into or close to the demographic that would be the future of this organization and the hobby in general. I enjoy the monthly Bugle and have attended two national meets since joining in 2014. One I had to travel a considerable distance for (Springfield) and the other (Allentown) was a short trip for me. These are my only two direct connections to the BCA.

I was initially drawn to the BCA as a way to connect with other like minded car enthusiasts. I had been a member of the forum here for a few years and was excited about my newly acquired 60 Buick. I have always had a connection with Buick anyway, my Dad has worked in dealerships, Grandfather from Flint and I have always driven one as a daily driver (bought my first new one at the age of 19- really skewing their ownership demographics). As time has gone on, I currently can only point to what has already been raised here as the primary benefit- the magazine. I think to lessen the frequency or quality has been stated over and over again to not be of interest to members. There is already a less costly membership option that allows you to receive them virtually.  I am a drive and enjoy kind of owner, I don't pursue showing any of my cars- though I recognize that some have an interest there and I certainly understand that. But, having my car evaluated and judged isn't a draw for me. I have however judged as a way of helping the organization and recognizing this as a function it serves.

It seems that the challenge to a national organization is to connect to your members locally. I live in a rural area and would need to travel over an hour to reach the closest BCA chapter. I am a member of a local AACA region and that is the only reason I joined AACA national, they require it. Without a local chapter it is difficult to remain connected to other Buick owners and build a connection with the national organization. Luckily for me another member of my AACA Region is into Buicks and also has a 60 Buick. He also has been the main person within the Region to reach out and connect to me. I see that as also being important, for BCA members to reach out and make a connection with like minded individuals.

This forum has certainly been a way for me to connect with many of you at various times, but it isn't exclusive to BCA members and, I think, has been stated to not be an official communications link of the BCA. But, through here I purchased my first classic Buick, met many of you virtually and some of you eventually in person at National Meets. So, it certainly can benefit the BCA.

Do we have demographic info on our members? Is there a Chapter development plan at all? Have we looked into areas with a concentration of members that don't belong to a local chapter and reached out to offer to help create one? Are there any regional meets (I may have seen some listed on the calendar at various points)? Have we considered gatherings at some large draw events like Hershey or others in other areas of the country?

I am not the type to point out things to do without offering to help, I appreciate all of the work that our volunteer Board members do to promote the organization. I also recognize that my 3+ years of membership pales in comparison to many of you with decades. But, we all know there is an issue with declining membership (debatable how widespread to other organizations) and need to figure out how to have the BCA be of value to someone that they find it worth the membership fees.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your thoughts Tom.  I can provide the following feedback to your inquiry:

There is no plan for creating Chapters.  I am not sure if there ever was a plan.  Up to now it has been up to local people to petition for a Charter to form a Chapter. 10 BCA members at a minimum can form a Chapter by petitioning the BCA Board.  One pothole in forming a plan is the absence of a  National level Regional /Chapter Coordinator.  This item has been empty for a long time. Requests for a volunteer have been posted in the Bugle, but they have not been fruitful.

There are several Regions throughout the USA.  These also have been formed at the request of the Chapters.  There is no plan for creating new Regions.  One potentiall reason to avoid just setting up a Region is that the operating costs of the Regional Coordinator would be the responsibility of the Chapters within the Region.  However I think the Board would look favorably on most any request to form a new  Chapter or Region if the local folks want them. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:49 AM, Brian_Heil said:

How did we get off on a 6 issue per year Bugle tangent?  Is the thought the 6 issue/year would enable the annual dues to be lowered so more would join?

I'm not so sure that is the way to grow the club with additional members who are only signing up because the annual dues and magazine count both went down.

I'm with Thiller, the least of my worries in my budget is the $50 annual dues.  Anybody put three kids through college lately, had real work done on their car like an engine rebuild or a paint job or pay for a kids wedding?  Ouch.

All of you, yes all of you, and this Club are a bargain at $50.  The National Meet, local meets, Tours and Bugle are the icing.

Love the Bugle, it is in part what makes this Club great.  Yay for Pete while I'm at it.

Not sure how much P.R. the club does promoting itself.  The BCA sure as heck is not broke if you read the non profit tax filing info. so before we cut magazine count and dues to draw in some individuals, maybe we look at some better or additional P.R. for the club.

Who can accurately comment on what P.R. we currently do? 

Quoting my own quote has to cost me some sort of style points, I will leave that to Mr. Earl.

I forgot all about the lower cost electronic Bugle option for cost conscience members or prospective members.  I'm a hard copy type member and I'm excited when I see my Bugle in the mail box.  As I mentioned before, I give every one away and point out the membership application when I do.  We have the best of many things.  1) A great publication  2) A great organization  3)  A hard copy publication option and full membership  4)  A lower cost option of the exact same publication and same full membership.  5) This forum. . . . . .

So let's get back to ideas on attracting new members and retaining current members since we have the cost issue 'solved'.  Well, o.k., solved for me.  Wasn't it Ronald Reagan who said you can't budget yourself to prosperity?

I really enjoyed hearing from parkertom, a new member, and his perspective.  I hope there are others like him who comment with their new member perspective.

Makes me wonder if there is any work done to survey former members as to why they ended their membership?  Back to my PR question too and just what have we done as a Club?

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Makes me wonder if there is any work done to survey former members as to why they ended their membership?  Back to my PR question too and just what have we done as a Club?

No survey ever that I know of but there are some easier ways to do surveys online, so that should be looked into and what about PR you do well by sharing your Bugles, if you ever need more let me know, the BOD get 5 extra each month just for that reason, and a great new idea see this post: 

Also there are these "line cards" available from the BCA Office to hand out, put in museums or wherever else you can think of, some other things that should be considered is popping for some online ads much cheaper than printed material and can also be tracked to see what works and what doesn't, wow, I just thought of that could be put out as anytime someone searches anything Buick, Peter Gariepy are you listening?

img189.jpg

• Like 1

… well good reading and many logical yet passionate dissertations presented about and for a resolution to this quarter the OP presented … what I have to humbly offer and worth mentioning perhaps is to consider that the inevitable slight invisible hand of fate is upon us … forces from the macro all the way over to the micro … the horizontal to the vertical so-to-speak …. the results of which we are now recognizing … these declining numbers of members both new and old are not only due to basic attrition rates, nor inabilities real and or created to attract new blood but are in great part due to the changing of popular demographic interests for current novelties, fascinations, and life related passions … however outside even this spectrum is the very visible forces forged and coupled inflicting the real ongoing current collateral damages to the core of this membership and all hobbyist alike … the past 30 years of daft economic, political and trade related practices leaving much of this once self proficient core of the middle class the very essence of what Buick stood for shrinking day by day in real economic terms for both present and future prospectives … leading onward without the ability to replace that same core of those that came before and the list goes on & on … changing pages, publication drafts per year, dues, parking orientations nor even mergers with the dwindling mass of others will not deflect the forces brought upon us by this foe of our time.   The original founding intent of the BCA was for as I understand it,  the preservation and appreciation of our time capsules aka our Buicks … kinda like what is old shall be new again … what has been so shall be again.  In a nutshell the current BCA will survive as long as it is allowed to survive by these forces however during that time we can stay active, accommodating and appreciative of what our particular passion of Buick stands for to us and participate in that romance as long as there is a glow -  dave 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In regard to Jake Moran's #82 post, I'm sorry to have to tell you this Jake, but, Larry Schramm is right on.  IT IS MARKETING 101.  Just because this organization is a not-for-profit entity does not mean that it should not be run like a well managed company.  For 95% or better, the Bugle is the face of this club to the membership.  The Bugle is what they get for their $50.00 annual dues.  We are extremely fortunate that we have Pete and Cindy at the helm of the Bugle.  If the Bugle should ever start to be lesser than what it is now, this organization will dwindle at a rapid rate.  We desperately need people like Larry Schramm and Mark Shaw to inject fresh marketing ideas into this group.  Jake, just answer this question for us all on here - when was the last time that you attended a BCA National Meet and came away with the feeling that you had a great and fun time?  Were the cars that you are interested in grouped in a way which was easy to view?  It's not a whole lot of fun when a person has to trek all over the show field to see what your particular interest is.  Can things be made better?  You better bet your bippy that they can.  

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

13 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Jake, just answer this question for us all on here - when was the last time that you attended a BCA National Meet and came away with the feeling that you had a great and fun time?  Were the cars that you are interested in grouped in a way which was easy to view?  It's not a whole lot of fun when a person has to trek all over the show field to see what your particular interest is.  Can things be made better?  You better bet your bippy that they can.  

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Hi my name is Cal.

I can't answer for Jake but I will give you my opinion.

Over the years I have only bin to 10 Nationals, but I have had a Great and Fun time every time I go.

As far as having to walk the whole field to see what interests me I don't have a problem with that, as I walk the whole field to see everything anyways.

I have my favorite years but I enjoy looking at them all. Sometimes I go out off the field to see what some of the locals have brought as well.

I always enjoy seeing the good friends that I have met and meeting new friends.

Can things be made better ? You bet. 

Can things be made worse ? You bet.

Cal Dewhirst.

Comox, BC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In my humble opinion the point that Larry Schramm brought out in his November Bugle editorial is that things are slowly but steadily getting worse.  Sure, things can get worse, but, why would any reasonable thinking person want to see things go that route.  Mr. Dewhirst, thanks for your opinion, but, we all want to hear what Jake has to say.  He is the one in his post that thinks Larry Schramm is wrong.  We want to know the WHY he says what he says.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:44 AM, Imperial62 said:

I disagree with Larry that this is Marketing 101.  This is an old car club not a company.  Some of the company's he sited lost their way because of products no longer of value.  Many early car makers got out of the carriage trade, for instance. 

A couple of questions,  Do you belong to the BCA?  From your earlier comment it does not appear to be the case. 

What is the difference between "an old car club and not a company"?  Both entities have product to sell and the requirement is to have a value proposition that a customer is willing to pay for. NO DIFFERENT!

Come sit in on some of the marketing classes that I have taught for a lot of years.  You MUST KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER and provide them with a product or service that they are willing to pay for!

And you comment about car makers and carriage makers,  in reality many carriage makers went out of business because they did not recognize the changing customer tastes moving from horses to horseless carriages(cars).

Same thing for the hundreds of car makers at the turn of the last century.  They did not get the value proposition correct for the customers to continue to buy their products.  Henry Ford and the Model T did. A vehicle for the masses at a price that they could afford. Dozens of high end expensive car makers went out of business because the investors with lots of money did recognize where "the market" was.

If you are not growing in business then you are dying.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 3

What was Groucho Marks is quoted as saying something like "I wouldn't join a club who would have someone like me as a member."

My question concerns when the Executive feels they need to increase members and they allow resto-mods in the BCA.  Many old members are turned off and do the modified guys join in numbers to justify the change?  The CCCA expanded the cars they deem as classics back to 1915 instead of 1925 and they accept Chryslers, Buick and Studebaker for instance.  Are they really classics or does it expand the base?  Is the CCCA healthier?  The Chevrolet club will judge any car with a Chev engine, did it expand the members or just PO the existing people?  Please I don't ask to start a fight, can someone point out a quantifiable number where the plan has worked?  

Gary Van Dyken,  AACA and HCCA member.

If any of my Buicks are under a 1/4 tank, it costs more than $50 to fill it (granted, I generally run premium as it is ethanol-free here and I live in the land o' taxes). Now the 1923 has a smaller tank, but I haven't been out driving it yet. A lot of magazine subscriptions are in the $50 range. The local club is less expensive but it puts out a significantly lower quality newsletter that I get only electronically. 

Hobbies are generally expensive. They are discretionary albeit having at least one is good for mental health. It's a realit. 

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 12:22 PM, 91vert said:

Hi my name is Cal.

I can't answer for Jake but I will give you my opinion.

Over the years I have only bin to 10 Nationals, but I have had a Great and Fun time every time I go.

As far as having to walk the whole field to see what interests me I don't have a problem with that, as I walk the whole field to see everything anyways.

I have my favorite years but I enjoy looking at them all. Sometimes I go out off the field to see what some of the locals have brought as well.

I always enjoy seeing the good friends that I have met and meeting new friends.

Can things be made better ? You bet. 

Can things be made worse ? You bet.

Cal Dewhirst.

Comox, BC

exactly  my thoughts

• 1 month later...