1934 Brewster Town Car

CatBird

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I like that quote:   "My opinion is that Tiffany was the Brewster of Jewelers!" I also like the song.

A bit modern for my liking, but an incredible car any way I can look at it.

Just a bit of speculation on my part. Doubtless, Brewster built these cars as an offering to provide themselves with an additional market during tough times. I would think that they would have chosen the Ford V8 as the perfect balance of price and power. The V8 had plenty of power and performance to handle the weight of the incredible body. But can you imagine that on a Plymouth or Chevrolet six? And before anyone starts throwing darts at me, for a newer car, I love Chevrolet's cast iron wonder. If Brewster had moved up to even a Buick eight? The increase in cost at a time when cost was a serious consideration, would have been too much for no real gain in power.

Just my opinion.

They also did make a few Buick Brewsters. 

Another reason was that Ford has always been hugely popular. Brewster owners could let the Depression Broke, most everybody, I imagine the rich people should hide their Packards and Rolls-Royce. Brewster owners could say they had a Ford in a new dress.

21 hours ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

. .Brewster had a measurement of each person - and their chauffeurs - so they tailored the seats to customer's weight, height, arms, and legs. It was like buying a suit from a high-end tailor. So carrying the body forward in time as technology improved the chassis, was a very good idea! The car/body fit you like a glove. There are no adjustments on our car for seat adjustments.

I believe Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche and Tesla currently offer a similar custom-fit seat option. 

That 'custom-fit' option itself (depending on the seat material specified) will most likely exceed the cost of a Brewster when it was new!

Craig

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

I'm sure they had a good reason for choosing Ford, I wonder what it was.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, Bill Caddyshack said:

Ford was readily available in cut-away or chassis form, and they were much more serviceable than most any other make. The chassis were NOT bought from Ford Motor Company, they were bought from Universal Ford in Long Island. This was the same chassis that the dealers sold to other custom body companies for building custom trucks, advertising vehicles, ambulances, hearses, etc., which was a standard item for Ford dealers to get. Most likely much more difficult to do with most other makes."

Hey Rusty, I had never really considered your question of "Why a Ford" and yours is a good point that in 1934 the Ford chassis was not as up to date as, say, a Plymouth with hydraulic brakes and all.  I bet Bill's explanation above is the reason that overrules all others--Ford bare chassis suitable for re-bodying were readily available from a regular supplier, Todd C  

2 hours ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

I imagine the rich people should hide their Packards and Rolls-Royce. Brewster owners could say they had a Ford in a new dress.

Still going on today, "Please drive the Rolls-Royce directly into the garage. I don't want it sitting in the drive as if we were showing off." "We would like the new one in the same color as the one we have now, please."

Those are quotes.

And there is a reason. After nearly 70 years of astute observation I have concluded that, the less money people have, the better they become at reading minds. When referring to anyone perceived as having wealth the words "they think" pop up quite quickly.

Hide the Packard and the Rolls, and paint your lawn mower Sears red. Some things never change.

Bernie

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, Bill Caddyshack said:

Trying to find one in Atlanta, but still looking. Appreciate any help. The cars are extremely low tech and simple to modern cars. ....BTW the brakes are mechanical from 1935 (in our cars). ... But with any cars, you can stop if the brakes are in good condition and adjustment. Our other cars before 1925 are not only mechanical but only on the rear. The technology thought was that brakes on the front wheels would cause you to go out of control.   Keep the brakes in adjustment. Be ready to grab the Emergency Brake. If you drive carefully and stay within the car's limits, it is fun and I have had no accidents.(Prayers appreciated)

I cant help you on a recommendation to get your Packard and Auburn into acceptable shape.   I am near the west coast,  where there are still a couple of shops capable of returning cars of the 1930's to an acceptable condition.   May not be cost effective for you to ship your Aburn and Packard out here,  where I most certainly could give you recommendations for quality and competent people ( they aint cheap...they don't have charity licenses with COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES DEPT. OF SOCIAL SERVICES.....! )

Again,  if  your cars are such that a 1935 Ford gives you a more pleasurable driving experience than an Auburn or Packard - well...you have my sympathy  - you are missing so much.!

You are in error if you think a modern high tech shop would find a large, powerful luxury car of the 1930's  "low tech".  

For example...there is no "OBD II" computer port to tell the "replace the parts types "  what was wrong.    Perhaps the brake linings are of the wrong "co-efficient of friction".  How many "hi tech" modern shops have techs. who understand the workings of the power brake system of a big "super-luxury car of the 1930's?  Or know how to set up the brake shoe clearances?   Or even know there is such a thing ?

Good luck on your quest to learn more about the differences in driving pleasure  between a 1935 Ford and your other cars, once they are properly restored mechanically.

Packards, Auburns Lincolns, Duesenbergs are awesome, many of us also fancy Mr Ford and his group, 

I can admire without the mean spirited anti Ford talk...Ford was king of the low price field..Brewster

should have put it on a Zephyr chassis...as Edsel did in 1940 for his personal use and a few of his friends, cost was kept low by pulling a few 

stock Lincoln-Zephyr chassis off the line....

brunn at gauker.JPG

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mssr. Bwatoe said:

Ford was king of the low price field....Brewster should have put it on a Zephyr chassis...as Edsel did in 1940 for his personal use and a few of his friends

Actually this leads into an angle I had wondered about in answer to Rusty's point--might Brewster have used Ford chassis as a deal with Edsel Ford who we know was responsible for propping up several coachbuilders in the 1920s and 1930s with Lincolns use of series custom bodies?  Anyone know if that was a factor?  Todd C   

9 hours ago, SaddleRider said:

I cant help you on a recommendation to get your Packard and Auburn into acceptable shape.   I am near the west coast,  where there are still a couple of shops capable of returning cars of the 1930's to an acceptable condition.   May not be cost effective for you to ship your Aburn and Packard out here,  where I most certainly could give you recommendations for quality and competent people ( they aint cheap...they don't have charity licenses with COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES DEPT. OF SOCIAL SERVICES.....! )

Again,  if  your cars are such that a 1935 Ford gives you a more pleasurable driving experience than an Auburn or Packard - well...you have my sympathy  - you are missing so much.!

You are in error if you think a modern high tech shop would find a large, powerful luxury car of the 1930's  "low tech".  

For example...there is no "OBD II" computer port to tell the "replace the parts types "  what was wrong.    Perhaps the brake linings are of the wrong "co-efficient of friction".  How many "hi tech" modern shops have techs. who understand the workings of the power brake system of a big "super-luxury car of the 1930's?  Or know how to set up the brake shoe clearances?   Or even know there is such a thing ?

Good luck on your quest to learn more about the differences in driving pleasure  between a 1935 Ford and your other cars, once they are properly restored mechanically.

when I said, "low tech" I meant not having OBD, Computers, mobile phones, GPS. Our 25 cars are driven often from 1914 Ford Model  T to our (newest car) 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. Each car is different. The 1920 Cadillac is different than the 1933 Packard. The 1935 Auburn Phaeton drives superbly. I have been maintaining them and have over 60 years working on cars. I suspect from your remarks that you have not driven a 1920 Cadillac or 1933 Packard? Or 1935 Auburn Phaeton? Or 1937 Lincoln Limo? Or a 1934 Brewster? 1947 Lincoln Continental V12 . 1956 Cadillac CPD? 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biattitz? I am getting bored. <grin> but let us know your knowledge about the differences in them, inquiring minds want to know.

18 hours ago, Mssr. Bwatoe said:

Packards, Auburns Lincolns, Duesenbergs are awesome, many of us also fancy Mr Ford and his group, 

I can admire without the mean spirited anti Ford talk...Ford was king of the low price field..Brewster

should have put it on a Zephyr chassis...as Edsel did in 1940 for his personal use and a few of his friends, cost was kept low by pulling a few 

stock Lincoln-Zephyr chassis off the line....

brunn at gauker.JPG

I have great admiration for Henry Ford. He put America on wheels. The Marvelous invention the Model T and succeeding generations.". My Model Ts sit cheek by jowl with my Senior Classics.  I love them ALL. Each car has its own personality. I love them ALL!

Edited by Bill Caddyshack (see edit history)

Not knocking Ford, they were a popular car known for having the best performance in the low priced field and the ability to travel long distances at speed thanks to their V8 engine. Even though the suspension and brakes were primitive even by 1930s standards. This is why it puzzles me that they chose this chassis for a luxury car meant for city use.

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Not knocking Ford, they were a popular car known for having the best performance in the low priced field and the ability to travel long distances at speed thanks to their V8 engine. Even though the suspension and brakes were primitive even by 1930s standards. This is why it puzzles me that they chose this chassis for a luxury car meant for city use.

I am curious also. But cannot find any solid reasons. Might Ford have been a silent partner? Inskip, head of Brewster built a car for Al Jolson, who was an avid car buff and one of the most important figures in entertainment, Brewster got a huge amount of free publicity.  

Guest SaddleRider
14 hours ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

. I suspect from your remarks that you have not driven a 1920 Cadillac or 1933 Packard? Or 1935 Auburn Phaeton? Or 1937 Lincoln Limo? Or a 1934 Brewster? 1947 Lincoln Continental V12 . 1956 Cadillac CPD? 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biattitz? I am getting bored. <grin> but let us know your knowledge about the differences in them, inquiring minds want to know.

You are partially correct.  I have never even been near, much less driven a 1934 Brewster.    My suspicion is a 1934 Brewster is actually a 1934 Ford with a custom - built body.  If that suspicion is correct,  I have, over the years,  driven a number of them.

I am disappointed to learn you are bored discussing old cars.   Sorry to hear that.

As far as discussing the differences, say, between a 1956 Cadillac and a 1958 Cadillac,   I am not clear how that would be of much interest to the majority of the readers.    It would not be entirely accurate to say that underneath the sheet-metal,   they are quite similar (at least as far as the engine, transmission and drive-line are concerned.)  If you are seriously interested in the technical details,   rather than take up time here,  may I suggest an outstanding book on the subject:

CADILLAC 1950 - 1959   by Roy Schneider - published by his AUTOMOTIVE HERITAGE PUBLISHING COMPANY,  ISBN # 0-917104-02-1

Sitting behind the wheel of a '58 Cadillac convertible for the first time makes one think, what is vaguely familiar. Then it hits you. You just thought of St. Louis!

Or, for the last 30 years, whenever I get out of a Silver Cloud, Rolls not Reo, I smile and say "Yep, a Buick Roadmaster is a darned nice car."

And, from personal experience, most intimate, the Ford guys were sitting around thinking about how to make a Lincoln different. Then one said "Let's weld the frame rails to the floor!"

Honestly, the only original thought I have ever seen on a car was the way George Selden set up the steering on his patent car.

That's what makes them fun. There is a Brewster project car for sale at a hot rod shop somewhere around Boston. I know one thing for sure, if by some stroke of fate I end up owning it I ain't tellin' nobody on the forum. Except maybe Bill.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Sitting behind the wheel of a '58 Cadillac convertible for the first time makes one think, what is vaguely familiar. Then it hits you. You just thought of St. Louis!

Or, for the last 30 years, whenever I get out of a Silver Cloud, Rolls not Reo, I smile and say "Yep, a Buick Roadmaster is a darned nice car."

That's what makes them fun. There is a Brewster project car for sale at a hot rod shop somewhere around Boston. I know one thing for sure, if by some stroke of fate I end up owning it I ain't tellin' nobody on the forum. Except maybe Bill.

Bernie

I love quality open cars, especially Cadillacs, hope you enjoy some of our collection

1920 Cadillac Phaeton (Large).jpg

1958 Eldorado Biarritz (Large).jpg

1960  Eldorado (Large).jpg

1959 Convertible-01 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

I recall a mid '30's Brewster Ford running around U. Va. in the early '50's, (with no driver's door!)  While there are admirers of the Brewster's design, I personally didn't like the radical front, and it's not that "radical" can't be likable, (example; Cord 810).   
Moreover, if wealthy owners did not want to be noticed in what they were riding during those tough times why would they choose such a flamboyant unorthodox looking vehicle, a town car at that, and whose Ford underpinnings (for forgiveness) must not even have been recognized by many?  My thoughts from the peanut gallery.  

• Like 1

The lineage is important. Brewster is a Scottish name. After sitting around having a few "brews" one said "Aye, I've an idea for a radiator. We make the top rounded like hips and taper the bottom down like delicate little feet." And they all said Aye! and raised their glasses high. One more brew.

Now that's as flamboyant as a Valentine's card. In this peanut gallery, anyway.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Ford.......... a popular car known for having the best performance in the low priced field and the ability to travel long distances at speed thanks to their V8 engine. .........

Oh yeah......try that "best performance" of a pre-war Ford on a hot day......!     Say on the Cajon Pass....or that grade between Needles & Kingman.

Is my above "smart-alec" comment unfair to pre-war Ford people.....? 

Well......I have hanging on my wall in my hobby-room an interesting artifact well-known to those pre-war Ford owners who DO have to drive their cars in summer, AND who hate walking.....!

The artifact...?   the " DESERT WATER BAG"    (made by "Canvas Specialty" of Los Angeles) - used to find their display in just about every gas station & auto parts store  on what was U.S. Highway 66.........(some people erroroneusly have taken to call that U.S. Highway  "Route" 66....but that's another story for another fun "thread"........! )

Side-note....that artifact has never been used...it is in "mint" condition...bought it just for the sadistic fun of needling my Ford buddies.....why hasn't it ever been used by me....?   I don't own a pre-war Ford.........even when I "pull" the Needles-To-Kingman grade in the summer........well....friends and neighbors...I drive a PACKARD !

SaddleRider, we all know by now your pride in Packard engineering--now that you have changed your car's unfortunate stock 4.69 gearing, but please do not denigrate other members' choices in cars because doing so makes you appear mean-spirited and petty.  I also object to your comment in CCruz's thread on his 1953 Ford horn issues.

I too have an unused water bag displayed on my shop wall among five other well-used ones, and many other artifacts of the era.  And I too have driven the Needles-Kingman route, first in a 1947 Desoto Suburban (unpressurized cooling system) in late July 1966 enroute to the Fort Benning (GA) School for Wayward Boys AKA Infantry Officers' Basic Course.

Well, on the subject of waterbags, there are those whom have experienced what would be considered a mere junior waterbag. At some point in there life they may have the opportunity to experience a true, Senior waterbag, one to go very fast in very hot places.

Mine, is not the waterbag of the masses.

001.thumb.JPG.c187737834bb3c9acdca877d6f486f93.JPG

I leant how to phase that on the Forum.

Bernie

Folks,

I have very limited knowledge of Brewster automobiles but certainly enjoyed judging one in Hershey this year. 

I must admit that there are a few comments in this discussion that I don't understand but I am trying to avoid being heavy handed in moderatng. I will simply remind everybody that the best advice that I can give you is that if you can't do anything to help another member and you can't say anything nice, it is probably best not to participate in a discussion. Please refrain from comments that are mean spirited or attempting to denigrate another forum member's car.

If you don't like a particular car or car manufacturer's products, it is best to not say anything about it.  I have had to remove some comments from this discussion. If further negative and or mean spirited comments are posted, I will become a bit more heavy handed in my moderation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Hudson chassis found some popularity in England about the same time as this Brewster. The famous motorcycle maker Brough Superior (the Rolls Royce of motorcycles) marketed them with custom English bodywork. The Hudson Terraplane eight was faster than Ford (ask John Dillinger) and their chassis was superior in all ways. I wonder if any Brewsters were built on Hudson chassis?

http://www.broughsuperiorcar.co.uk/the cars.htm

2371.png

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Grimy said:

SaddleRider, we all know by now your pride in Packard engineering--now that you have changed your car's unfortunate stock 4.69 gearing, but please do not denigrate other members' choices in cars because doing so makes you appear mean-spirited and petty.  I also object to your comment in CCruz's thread on his 1953 Ford horn issues.

I appreciate your post. I had "ignored" Saddle-rider since his remarks early on and therefore was not able to see any more regarding his posts. 

However, he has been banned.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

The Hudson chassis found some popularity in England about the same time as this Brewster. The famous motorcycle maker Brough Superior (the Rolls Royce of motorcycles) marketed them with custom English bodywork. The Hudson Terraplane eight was faster than Ford (ask John Dillinger) and their chassis was superior in all ways. I wonder if any Brewsters were built on Hudson chassis?

http://www.broughsuperiorcar.co.uk/the cars.htm

2371.png

I believe the Railton was more common than the Brough Superior:  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?65534-Orphan-of-the-Day-09-22-1937-Railton

Craig

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, SaddleRider said:

Why...for many many years,  has  the streamlined Chrysler Airflow  been acceptable to the CCCA as a "classic" car.    How did that come to pass...?  We know why...someone had one they wanted to sell,   had friends who had "pull" in Club management......in the days when identifying something as a "classic" meant something...!

The ultimate Airflow to me is the 1937 Chrysler Imperial C-17.

Owning one would be a privilege.

Craig

21 minutes ago, Curti said:

I have wondered why that hasn't happened sooner.

Actually he has been banned quite a few times over the years under different user names. 

In this case, he lasted longer than normal because nobody apparently reported his inappropriate posts. After he posted a few that drew moderator attention over a short period of time, some additional checking revealed his old pattern of inappropriate posts, he was identified, and banned again. If you see someone who is constantly posting inappropriate posts, please report it to the moderators so we can avoid this type of situation. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Actually he has been banned quite a few times over the years under different user names. 

In this case, he lasted longer than normal because nobody apparently reported his inappropriate posts. After he posted a few that drew moderator attention over a short period of time, some additional checking revealed his old pattern of inappropriate posts, he was identified, and banned again. If you see someone who is constantly posting inappropriate posts, please report it to the moderators so we can avoid this type of situation. 

So let's get back to beautiful cars and friends who love them and enjoy each other.

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Brewster Car Society   Check out this link. http://dons-neatstuff.com/brewster2.htm

Sorry I have not kept it more up to date. I must try to do better. We have three un-restored Brewsters, Town Car (83 built), Convertible Sedan (13 built), 5 Passenger Enclosed Drive Sedan (1 of only 2 built).  Bought the first one in 1963. One at Hershey every year (except 2) since 1998. If we have communicated before, PLEASE email me again. email address on web site link. I have lost all of my old contacts, either a computer problem, a Comcast problem, or my stupidity! 

977267057_0179027rtside.jpg.1c86ad8034bca10b8fb04aa9ed07ed9a.jpg86155483_ConcoursAps2(Large).thumb.JPG.28d1dce4cf16d000589c5c24a166c024.JPGDSCN4049.thumb.JPG.7324e150ab80ab2d42b5c730e421011b.JPGBREWSTERLY,  Don

3 Brewsters brighter.jpg

Edited by brewsterbuff (see edit history)

Brough Superior and Railton, both built on Hudson chassis, were considered a low cost alternative to a Bentley in the 1930s. The most obvious difference being the 3 speed transmission where the Bentley had a 4 speed. Quite a compliment to Hudson when you learn that the Hudson chassis cost 100 pounds vs 1000 pounds for the Bentley. That is, a $500 chassis stood comparison to a $5000 chassis .

I'm not saying a Hudson is as good as a Bentley, I am saying that given similar coachwork a number of English car buyers thought the difference small enough not to justify the extra cost of the Bentley.