Morten's 1940 Sport Coupe 56s

-morten-

Your car looks great!  I can see why you would think it was a Special because of the nameplate on the dash where the radio would be, and the name on the hood latches.  That's odd.  Must be something to do with cars that Buick made for import.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

5 hours ago, neil morse said:

Your car looks great!  I can see why you would think it was a Special because of the nameplate on the dash where the radio would be, and the name on the hood latches.  That's odd.  Must be something to do with cars that Buick made for import.

yes, and the registrations papers also say special coupe series 40. was only imported 2 years ago, so probably a "take what you find" restauration.

But what do people make of the fact that the car says "Special" both on the radio delete and the hood latches?  I was theorizing that it might have been some unique "rebadged" Super that Buick made for export, but Morten (if I'm understanding him correctly) says that the car was only imported to Norway two years ago.  Seems like a mystery to me.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, -morten- said:

i think that we all now agree that it is a super sport coupe 56s, but what about the engine? papers says its a 248cid, but google says 320 cui?

248 is correct for the Super.  The Century and the Roadmaster had the 320.

(And I was pretty sure that I understood you correctly, but thanks for the follow up.)

1 hour ago, -morten- said:

i am sure you are right, but this says 320 cid:

http://classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=386&year=1940&model=2576

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. :wacko:  They are wrong.  Here's a link to someone who has the correct information:

http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/buick40.html

neil is correct. 

There is the probability your beautiful coupe has had incorrect parts installed at some dim distance past time.  A 320 is about 6 0r 7 inches longer than the 248.  How about a picture or two of the engine, driver [ manifold] side down low. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)

Congrats on finding a very fine looking sport cpe.(frs) Buick for full rear seat, as opposed to a business cpe(no rear seat). Those 1941 rocker panel mouldings actually look very nice as well. I'm prejudice, I have one also. Please feel fee to inquire if I can answer 1940 Super ?s. Makes me feel a little better just looking at the photos of that beauty!

Great car!  One of my favorite models.

Are we sure that the data plate is original to this car?  The photo shows it attached with screws instead of rivets.  Also, could someone remind us about the significance of the "K" stamped on the top right of the plate?  Am I correct in recalling that it meant the car was equipped with side mounts?

What is the frame number?  What is the engine number?

11 hours ago, Thriller said:

I don't remember for certainty the paint code, but your car has a similar (if not the same) paint scheme as my 1941 Special. If I recall, the paint code on mine is a 1940 code, not a 1941 code. 

hi, thanks for feedback, if you could find the paintcode, or tell me where i can find it on my car i would be grateful. take care. -morten-

10 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Those 1941 rocker panel mouldings actually look very nice as well. I'm prejudice, I have one also. Please feel fee to inquire if I can answer 1940 Super ?s.

hi, thanks for your feedback. didn't know moldings where '41, good to know. i will take you up on the info part. can start with an engine bay related. From the air intake on the firewall there is a big air-hose, where does it end? should there be a bracket of some sort in the front end?

8 hours ago, BuickBob49 said:

Are we sure that the data plate is original to this car?  The photo shows it attached with screws instead of rivets.  Also, could someone remind us about the significance of the "K" stamped on the top right of the plate?  Am I correct in recalling that it meant the car was equipped with side mounts?

What is the frame number?  What is the engine number?

Thanks for feedback. The plate is the only one i have :-) so i'll hold on to that as the original. would also like to know more about the "K".

Engine number is blank (exchange engine?).

Frame number is 13795947.

On 2017-11-01 at 3:21 PM, -morten- said:

skilt.jpg

The paint code is 552 (lower right corner). According to http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1940-Buick-pg01.jpg it should be a two tone green. Paint code 551 is the grey upper and blue lower. If that link doesn't work properly search  autocolorlibrary.com and you can choose year and make to get the paint charts. 

It's s a very nice car. 

Edited by Thriller
Corrected typo (see edit history)

On 11/4/2017 at 4:29 AM, -morten- said:

Thanks for feedback. The plate is the only one i have :-) so i'll hold on to that as the original. would also like to know more about the "K".

Engine number is blank (exchange engine?).

Frame number is 13795947.

I think I read in another posting that the big K stands for optional heat/defroster package? The large hose in the engine compartment is outside air supply attached to core support, next to radiator. Tags originally riveted on untill about '48 or '49? then with screws. Your chassis vin # should be on an aluminum strip attached with what looks like rivets on the top of the frame rail pass side next to body cowl to frame brace, but can be tapped out like a nail from underneath as they have spiral flutes on the shaft that create a light press fit when tapped in at assembly time. Engine # not matching with chassis vin this vintage, however some states used eng #stamped on pad as legal registration #. So if your concerned about how numbers corolate  with paper registration, that aspect can cause confusion. When changed in that scenario, the numbers were supposed to be transferred if new Buick eng with blank stamp pad. Used replacement eng, already stamped, how many stampings got transferred? Eng number should end with 5? (Dang memory),which stands for Super which is a 50 Series Buick(56s), 2dr cpe. Confused yet? Your tag on the cowl should have yet another number after Mod 56, this is the number in the Buick factory parts books to look up parts for your car exactly, as other styles, 4dr (51) etc. Supers are also 50 series, but not 56s, 2 Dr cnvrts 56c. 51c= 4dr Cnvrt. The quiz is Fri. But not this Fri. Lol!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

On 11/5/2017 at 9:39 AM, -morten- said:

Found out a way to fix it, most likely the way they did it back in the day. I put a small piece of wood between door and fender and carefully closed the door. Something moved, and now a have big enought gap so paint wont chip of. 

I have a body manual for my '41 Buick and some of the techniques they describe are similar to this. Seems quite brutal by today's standards.

Keith

On ‎04‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 10:50 PM, 2carb40 said:

I think I read in another posting that the big K stands for optional heat/defroster package? The large hose in the engine compartment is outside air supply attached to core support, next to radiator. Tags originally riveted on untill about '48 or '49? then with screws. Your chassis vin # should be on an aluminum strip attached with what looks like rivets on the top of the frame rail pass side next to body cowl to frame brace, but can be tapped out like a nail from underneath as they have spiral flutes on the shaft that create a light press fit when tapped in at assembly time.

Your tag on the cowl should have yet another number after Mod 56.

Thanks, that all ads ups. i have a defroster and a heater under front seat.

Edited by -morten- (see edit history)

On ‎13‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 4:42 AM, Buicknutty said:

I have a body manual for my '41 Buick and some of the techniques they describe are similar to this. Seems quite brutal by today's standards.

Keith

we have all become a lot of pussies, bring back the cavemen :-)  smal problem smal  hammer, big problem big hammer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On ‎17‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 3:31 AM, Morgan Wright said:

The speedometer in your pic is the one for the 1941-1947 model years, it goes up to 120 MPH. The 1940 speedometer looks exactly the same and fits, but it only goes to 110 and says BRIGHT LIGHTS on it. Yours has been replaced it seems.

thanks for the info. i have found some 39 and 41 parts, was not aware of speedo thow. Some parts will be exhanged and some i can live with. if i cant find the correct speedo i'll just fiddle with the engine a bit so i need the extra 10 MPH :-)

Edited by -morten-
typo (see edit history)
  • Haha 1