38Buick 80C

Carolina Roadmasters: Collect all 4

As Brian mentioned, the 38C he now owns came from North Bay, Canada (north of Toronto).
Well, it's taken about 40 years to collect all four models of the 1938 Roadmaster. The first car acquired was the Model 81, which was restored and is now going a re-restoration after 30 something years of driving to Nationals.
At one point we took the car from our home just west of NYC as far as the Kansas City National. It's also been to Nationals, in Columbus, Allentown, Atlanta, Orlando, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Flint, Charlotte. Richmond. Can't remember them all.

We're now on the lookout for another 38-Roadmaster. I've seen pictures of some custom bodied Roadmasters that need to be added to the collection. I'm tempted to buy another 81 and try my hand at a first class quality custom body. i.e. a 1938 Roadmaster up front and drive train, but significant coach work in the rear. The modification would be period correct. No electronics or the like. Years ago I was offered a 1938 (Roadmaster, I think) Brewster/Buick out of the UK. This car had a Brewster front end with a 1938 Buick body from the cowl back. Can't seem to stop collecting variations of the 1938 Roadmaster.

I figure the next acquisition is going to cost is going to cost Brian in excess of $1,000,000. Not so much for the car and restoration, but at least $400,000 for a building to store all the cars in, and at least $600,000 for the divorce settlement if he brings home another car. That amount doesn't include the cost of new lodging, but knowing Brian, he'll build the storage building similar to Bulgari's in Allentown with sleeping quarters included.

Congratulations, son, on keeping the tradition going. Love you.

Dad

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, edward depouli said:

Years ago I was offered a 1938 (Roadmaster, I think) Brewster/Buick out of the UK. This car had a Brewster front end with a 1938 Buick body from the cowl back.

Sure you don't mean 38 front end and Brewster body on the back like this?

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/5813-1938-buick-brewster-town-car/

your turn to buy...

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

23 hours ago, edward depouli said:

The pickup truck on the hauler is so out of place.

LOL... Chances are it got "peed" on too,  :lol:

• Haha 1

Couldn't get great photos at the dark hour of night it arrived, but the Left front tire took a hit from something and was very punctured flat. It's quite a nasty gash, but a daylight inspection reveals no other damage.

Borrowed a tire from Dad and off loaded. She needs a good cleaning.

IMG_20171111_200540.thumb.jpg.6df789ee9f530c05450f987e7b259cd6.jpgIMG_20171111_200552.thumb.jpg.38f6c85ee9f19d10c202835c53d5ce01.jpg

and of course wouldn't start....

First would crank but couldn't get here to fire off....then just wouldn't crank... popped the cover off the starter solenoid and engaged the points myself and fired right off (I think I impressed the transporter driver as he seemed quite amazed that armed with just a screw driver had it working again in about 2 minutes...)...this morning works fine...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So did the driver offer an explanation for the tire. Did he compensate you for it.  I had a whitewall badly scratched by a hauler once and deducted the cost of a new tire from the payment. Problem was, never found an exact replacement. 

Uhhh, don't forget to put the cover back on the starter solenoid.😜 😆 (Inside joke eh Mr McHinson? ) 🤐

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

So did the driver offer an explanation for the tire. Did he compensate you for it.  I had a whitewall badly scratched by a hauler once and deducted the cost of a new tire from the payment. Problem was, never found an exact replacement. 

Uhhh, don't forget to put the cover back on the starter solenoid.😜 😆 (Inside joke eh Mr McHinson? ) 🤐

Yeah I'll be working with the transporter company, not all that worried about it, but i did notice the tires are Denmans which they went out of business in 2010...so yeah not gonna match

And it was the VOLTAGE regulator cover the OTHER time...<_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely he didn't turn that rig around in the cul-de-sac?

Not sure if it helps, but I have a never used H78-15 Commander wide whitewall that you can have if it matches the others. It is a 'brand new' 20 plus year old tire.

Jack

37 minutes ago, Jack56C said:

Not sure if it helps, but I have a never used H78-15 Commander wide whitewall that you can have if it matches the others. It is a 'brand new' 20 plus year old tire.

Jack

Thanks Jack, but will probably get a tire to match the 80C (might need a full set based on the age of the tires. and probably gonna paint the wheels Dante Red to match the 80C so I have 11 wheels to interchange between the 2 cars.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aestorrs said:

Brian-

Are you going to take some day time photos of the car around the homestead?

Very nice car I hope you have fun with the car.

Al Storrs

I have to wash it... And it's cold!!!! Well for NC... Hopefully it will get up to the high 40s so I can get a quick wash in...

• Haha 1

I did spend the morning circling the car like a lion around a sick antelope...just waiting to pounce on all the things I want to fix/improve...

• Like 1

Brian, when it left Puyallup, the car was on the top of the car hauler.  Looks like it was on the bottom level when it arrived in Charlotte.  I am surprised that the driver of the car hauler knew how to start the car, so am curious what happened.

• Confused 1

I took it out on the highway today on the way home from the NC Title inspection location... It was very darty... Wondering if the knuckles, king pins and tie rods need to be replaced...

Think I'm about to fall in to the trap of ..."Well while I fix this I might as well fix..."...full restoration...

Engine wise she runs good... I think I have deciphered the "code" of reliable starting with that non-factory choke knob.

Using the manual choke is probably easier than getting the original automatic choke working correctly. However, are you going to fix the automatic choke?

One of the great things about having a "non perfect" car is that you dont have to worry about it when you use it - as long as it is reliable. So what if the inner fenders are dirty.