Teves Issues

MarkV

So I jumped into my wife's 88 reatta and the abs is not pressurizing no movement of fluid, nothing. The motor is continuously running. I swapped out the accumulator, pressure switch and the relay still the same still running no brakes pedal as hard as a rock all brake lights on. I'm thinking it is the pump motor maybe the brushes are worn? It also has a rubber hose under the accumulator compared to my 89 that has a steel line. 20171029_085958.thumb.jpg.c1292a56d560aca3362f12f281764481.jpg

20171029_085739.jpg

Did you swap out the old parts with known good ones or did you swap the good parts off the 1989? Could be the pump is bad. On way to test that is to loosen or remove the steel line on the top of your pump/motor and turn the key on. If the pump "pumps" that means it is good.

• Like 1

(long, flat, hollow plastic coffee stirrer, available at your local gas station/coffee bar. Attach to hose with duct tape.)

ShopVac out as much fluid as possible. Remove passenger rear wheel. Remove 1 Banjo bolt from rubber line to caliper. Insert hose to a suitable container. Refill reservoir to TOP. Lay something heavy on brake pedal to depress it 1". Turn on key.

Does fluid spray out? If so- keep flushing, at least 2 quarts fluid. Key off, reattach Banjo bolted line, refill reservoir.

Yes tried it with a known working pressure switch and accumulator. The motor sounds very weak. At least in my opinion. Also when I removed the test accumulator there was no pressure at all just like when I removed the other one. 

There is a safety valve in the system.  It is actually a pressure release valve but it is possible that that valve is stuck open....in that case the pump just recirculates the fluid.

The safety valve is not designed to be replaced....so the pump casting would need to be replaced if the valve is the problem.

So now guess What? I jumped into the car and now the pump is working!. Brakes seem fine. I have no idea, I'm still going to replace the pump unit as in all my years owning reatta I've never had this happen and I don't trust it. I just got a working uses one in the mail